Best watch -- GPS, Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello,

I am ready to invest in a new tool --- I got lost while hiking a few weeks back and want a little extra comfort while on the trails --- looking for suggestions on what the best watch is.

Essential Functionality I am looking for:
Heart Rate Monitor
GPS

Nice to have
Distance
Calories
Fun motivational tools

Thanks in advance -- I have done some on line research but find it a little overwhelming!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    bump - i'm interested in hearing the responses since i was just talking about needing a watch that tells me these things
  • tressatnt
    Options
    Well I have a Garmin Forerunner and love it. I cannot run or even walk without it. I didn't get the one with the HRM strap so I also have a Polar for that which I also love. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Garmin with the HRM strap. I have nothing to compare either to since they are the only ones of these gadgets I've ever had.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Garmin - I vote for the 410 (great deal for $199 shipped w/HRM strap from costco.com)

great reviews of all GPS watches can be found on dcrainmaker.com
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I was just doing research on these. Great thread!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 610, and love it. Its accurate, acquires quickly, and comes with a bunch of pacing tools (you can set it to buzz if you're going too fast/slow, race a virtual partner etc). I think with the HRM it goes for about 400$, but I got it on sale for 300$
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Garmim 410 on my wish list when my old garmin takes a dump does pacing, HR can do HIT if you want can use it on a bike or running GPS you can upload your events to there free online tool maps it out charts and graphs galore its a fun tool I would recommend it highly.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What activity are you going to use it for?
    Be careful that several of the garmins are useless in the gym or stationary cardio...n
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What activity are you going to use it for?
    Be careful that several of the garmins are useless in the gym or stationary cardio...n

I am going to use it for trail hiking/running -- I am preparing to do the Tough Mudder and got lost last week in the woods (had my 30lb 3 year old daughter on my back in her carrier).
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I love. It is a bit dated - and big but it has the features I like - Heart Rate, Speed, Pace, Elevation, Navigation (drops bread crumbs). You can set up routes and compete against yourself (I have never done this...). It takes a little while to lock on to satellites (about 1 min?) so I usually turn the watch on when I go outside, finish prepping (tie shoes, set music player) then pick it up and go.
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also have the large square Garmin 305 and I love it. It is all that ^^.

BUT -- I still get lost in the woods. I believe it does have functionality to help you navigate, but I have never used it -- have not met anyone who uses a running GPS for actual navigation. I did briefly explore on Google whether the 305 could be used for things like geocaching (navigating) and found discussion forums (fora?) full of people who used their 305 for this purpose.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my suunto ambit!! I have used garmin and polar but the ambit comes out way ahead. it has a great web app that logs everything and maps out training and routes. For a gps watch, it is also the most stylish. You can change all the settings right at the watch on the trail, or connect to computer and do it there.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin forerunner 305. It's GPS enabled, but won't help you if you're lost.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I am going to use it for trail hiking/running -- I am preparing to do the Tough Mudder and got lost last week in the woods (had my 30lb 3 year old daughter on my back in her carrier).
    Just use a smart phone and an app like Google Maps to get your location. As long as you have the map on your phone already it will work even in the woods when you're offline. GPS can determine your location without a tower signal. I tried this out in Rocky Mountain National Park last month up around Long's Peak. No tower service but the map still worked for me.