Setting Mini Goals

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP & hoping to make some big changes. I am a 22 year old female about 5'3 weighing 200 lbs. I know I have a fair ways to go but I'm hoping setting some mini goals will help me get further & feel more accomplished more often for motivation. My question to you, is if these mini goals seem realistic. I don't want to set goals that are out of reach.

My Mini Goals Are:

[ ] Lose 5 lbs (anytime)
[ ] Lose 10 lbs by Christmas ( 2 months & 8 days)
[ ] Lose 15 lbs by New Years ( 2 1/2 months)
[ ] Fit into my smallest "big jeans"
[ ] Lose 30 lbs by April 2013 ( 5 1/2 months)
[ ] To not be obese
[ ] To not be overweight
[ ] Have a healthy BMI
[ ] Halfway weight of 165 lbs (35 lbs loss)
[ ] Goal weight of 130 lbs (70 lbs loss)
[ ] Fit into a size 9 jean

My reward to myself for reaching goal will be a $500 shopping spree! Hope this gets me on the right track. If you see anything that is unrealistic, please let me know. :smile:

Replies

• CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    bump?
  • cladams1223
    cladams1223 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP also, but I have used another program in the past. I slacked off for a couple months and can really feel it. I have over 100 lb to go to my "healthy" weight. I have found that the only way I can do this is by setting smaller goals. I don't think any of your mini goals are unrealistic, but I'm no expert. I know that when I consistently work out and come close or under my daily calorie goals I lose about 1-2 lb a week (more at first but that's been the average for me). My demographic is quite different. I'm a 41 yo male weighing 341.6 but the idea of mini goals is the only thing that keeps me on track. It may not be the best analogy, but this comes to mind: "How do you eat an elephant?" Easy, one bite at a time! Good luck with your continued success!

Chris
  • CBrook04
    Options
    Thanks so much! Trying to put my best foot forward, hoping to get great results this time around.
  • Silly_Sara
    Silly_Sara Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think that your mini goals are awesome. For me, the best way to stay motivated and put forth all of my effort is to have set goals with set deadlines. It sounds like you're already on your way to living a healthier life!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Those sound like GREAT mini goals. I think they are very very doable as long as you keep at it and stay determined. Don't let anyone including yourself or your emotions bring you down and keep you from doing what you need to do for yourself! Go get it, girl! I just started exercising and eating right 4 days ago and I'm already feeling sooo good! I'm not going to look at the scale until the 21st. And I'm hoping to see at least a 2 pound loss. My stats are almost the same as yours. I am 5'2 and 185 lbs. My goal weight is 125. Hopefully I can reach it within 7 months tops!
  • hollyvh88
    Options
    I think they sound like great goals. My only suggestion is to remove the time limit. Sometimes not reaching your goal by a certain date is discouraging and can set you backwards. Or if you do meet the goal, that is an awesome goal, its more lack luster because it wasn't when you wanted it. Plus, when you don't meet your time scale, you either have to edit the rest of the scale or risk being unhealthy to try to meet the next one on time. Mini goals are great! I've just started them myself and it really helps with motivation. Removing the time scale is just a suggestion though. If you think it will work for you, go for it!

Just make sure whatever you're doing is giving you a good healthy lifestyle :) GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your goals seem realistic to me. I would advise you to not get too caught up on the dates though. That is, if it ends up taking you longer than you thought to lose 10 pounds, don't get discouraged, just keep going until you get there. Ten pounds lost is still ten pounds lost, whether you lose it by Christmas or by Valentine's Day.

Also, add in some fitness goals -- whether it's to walk a certain distance, run faster, start lifting weights etc. That way you are focused on overall fitness and not just scale weight, which is good for your health and can help keep you motivated if you don't lose as fast as you want. For example, my latest goal was to get under 200 pounds (I started MFP at around 230, and was 260 at my heaviest) by the end of September. I am still hovering at 200.6, but I find I don't care because my other, exercise related goals, are going fine and I know the scale will catch up eventually. Good luck to you!
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    While I don't think any of your mini goals are at all unreasonable or unrealistic... I have to agree with the other posters here...the time restrictions could catch you in the end...I set mini goals of 10 lbs...that way I'm never any further than 10lbs from a goal...ideally I would hit a goal each month if not more...however I'm coming up on 1.5 months and only 4 lbs gone...as much as you try to exercise and do all the right things in the end it will be your body that dictates how fast you loose...keep pushing and you will make it...best of luck to you in your journey...
  • meggolego
    Options
    Oooh! I like your mini goals, and of course your reward to yourself! haha. I am definitely going to come up with a list myself! Now what to rewards myself with....im sure i can think of something!

:)
  • CBrook04
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I will remove the amount of time from the list. Like said, 10 lbs lost is 10 lbs lost no matter when it decides to come off. I also think I am going to reward myself for each goal completed or divide them up into groups. Thanks so much for your input.