Protien Intake for an active teenage boy

Options
Question for you personal trainers or nutritionalist type people. lol My friends 15 (almost 16) year old son is super duper active. He runs anywhere from 3-6 miles a day, plays basketball and lifts 2-3 times a week. This boy weighs maybe 120 lbs soaking wet. While trying to up his caloric intake and try to get him to eat healthier foods she was wondering if the is a certain amount of protein he should be getting. I know he needs to up his protein because of all the activity but I'm not sure how much someone of his age should be taking in. He's not wanting to really bulk and I know he would just have to eat insane amount of calories and protein for that anyway. Thoughts or suggestions?
She bought him some protein bars too with about 20g of protein in them. Should he be eating 2 bars a day. One after each workout? I kinda suggested him taking in around 100-120g.

Replies

• TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    bump! anyone??
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm not in favor of such nitpicking for someone that young. Give him a tall glass of milk and some meat with each meal and let him be on his way.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not in favor of such nitpicking for someone that young. Give him a tall glass of milk and some meat with each meal and let him be on his way.

^ That.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this.

Just make sure there is always plenty of healthy food readily available and encourage him to eat as much as he wants, but don't get all "county" about things with a teen, that causes weird relationships with food, eating disorders, etc...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    He does eat alot of whatever he wants. She just wants to make sure he's getting adaquate protein since he is working out so much. I know he get most of it from the regular foods he's eating. And not to worry, she's not the type of person that is "county". lol As a matter of fact, she is the exact opposite. Doesn't use a scale or track foods, count calories or macros. None of that business so there is no chance of that happening. He drinks lots of milk as well. Def NOT a problem with consumption of things. lol Just want to make sure he's getting the protein to repair his muscles. That's all.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'd say he'd be safe with 120g of protein.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yeah, have him aim to break 100 daily but not sweat it if he doesn't.
    If he drink s a lot of milk and eats meat, he is probably there already...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Thank you. This is kinda what I was thinking as well. Just wanted other opinions.
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have that son as well. He is 14 1/2 y/o 5'8, plays football, hockey, baseball, runs, etc. You name it he does it. And he wishes he was 120 pounds! He is a super eater and consumes a great variety and quantity of food not just junk. I was still, as a mother concerned so we consulted both our general doctor and his sports doctor. Both had the same information: Sleep, sleep, sleep, water, water, water, and a good diet with lean proteins. Our general md also suggested a multi vitamin for teen males just to boost his vitamins and minerals( I got it at GNC). Since my son is in overdrive so much of the time and has problems with winding down for sleep our MD also suggested extra melatonin after dinner/before bed time.

As an MFP mom, I do keep healthier snacks for him now than previously. We have lots of boiled egg whites, peanut butter/apples, fruits, grilled chicken breasts to throw on a quick salad, healthier cereals. If I buy it he will eat it!!!

Good luck with your slim athlete.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    and don't be scared/suprised if he's downing 3000+ cals/day. Teen years for a boy shouldn't be a time to be calorie restricted.