Calories Burned During the Day - Do You Eat Them Back?

Options
Before working out, I had 900-some calories left to eat...now I have over 1100...do you eat the calories that you burned when working out? I've read a couple posts in the past about how the calories MFP gives you is a goal, and that you should try to reach it...but it seems strange to eat 400+ calories after I just burned them off. Thoughts?

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of debate on the subject. I personally don't eat them back.
  • skinnyjeans1920
    skinnyjeans1920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do not to eat them back but if I'm at my calorie limit by end of day and I need a snack I give myself some leeway!
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I eat some of mine back..otherwise I would starve to death lol! I set my calories to sedentary.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Basically, and I tell this to everyone... If you feel hungry, eat them back. If you need to fuel yourself because you feel tired - eat them back. If you want a nice treat, use them to eat it.
    If you feel full and alert and generally normal, and don't want to eat them back. Don't.
    It's whatever works best for you, and whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm not advocating that you net lower than 1200, but if it happens, it happens. Depends what you're eating to get that amount, and if you have any medical reason why you can't.
  • EmiluuRuiz
    Options
    I don't typically eat them back. However, if I am going out to eat or want a treat, I will eat them back. But that is rare!
  • 62clpowell
    62clpowell Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back, but if at some point I might need a little extra snack at night I might do a piece of fruit or maybe even instant oatmeal....if you need to do that try to maybe to maybe use only 100 calories...hope this helps :wink:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's too bad this question doesn't come up more often, there could be a lot of intelligent discussion on it :(
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am hungry even at full calories without working out. If I work out, I eat them back. It's like a bonus.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It's too bad this question doesn't come up more often, there could be a lot of intelligent discussion on it :(

lol
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry and it's not too late, I'll eat some back, but I never eat all of them back unless it was planned for a night out!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Lately I do. I want to have something to cut back on if I'm not losing weight.

I started out only sticking to my 1350 and not eating them back. I gained 2 pounds. So I'm trying it from the other end of the spectrum.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Most of them and I eat them back with as much protein as possible.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Once a day isn't enough? :)

I see it posted at least once a week, not kidding.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary. My goal is to lose 2lbs/week. My calories are set to 1210. You bet I eat them back! I restarted June '12. I've lost 36 lbs in 16 weeks. I'm good with that.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I only eat back the calories I burn during the night...as Batman!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I eat them back otherwise I won't get through the day. MFP calculates so that you should eat them back.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    exercisecals.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Once a day isn't enough? :)

I see it posted at least once a week, not kidding.

Yes, that was the joke. This exact thread appears about a hundred times a day, every day. I think the Search button needs to be made at least 4x larger.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not everyone trawls the threads day in and day out though. So can understand if they dont see the 300 threads on eating back.