heart flutter

Options
Do you ever feel your heart fluttering like a bird? this happens to me occasionally... on average probably once a month or so. it only lasts for seconds but it creates this strange feeling in my chest and a slight loss of breath then it's over... has anyone else every experienced this?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have not, but I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about it. It might be nothing, but it bears asking about.
  • NotReadyForMomJeans
    Options
    Yes - I get these too, and have always wondered what it is. I mentioned it to my doctor once and he shrugged it off. I've been getting these since I was in university - so 12 + years. I wondered if it's associated with my thyroid (I have hypothyroidism), but that's probably unrealated
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    I experienced this and told my doctor. He ran a lot of tests and turned out it was my Thyroid. I had Hyperthyroidism. Now I take Synthroid and rarely have this issue. But seriously, make an appointment and have it checked out. The heart is not something to mess around with.
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I get it every so often but I have a Mitro Valve Prolapse (that's when a valve in your heart lets the blood flow the wrong way). I would see you doctor just to get it checked out.
  • yourmymotivation
    Options
    i am actually going through this with my doctor right now. he said i also have hyperthyroidism. not a huge deal but id def get it checked out =]
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Things like caffeine, smoking, and dehydration can cause those flutters. They are gnormally harmless. But if you regularly have them, even though you've cut out the culprits and are well-hydrated, or if you any other symptoms along with them like dizziness, passing out, or near passing out, do go see your doctor! And if you have a sustained fluttering that just won't stop, go to the ER.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have, and I went to my doc to have it looked at. Everything is normal and he said its normal. I would get it checked if you are concerned, better safe than sorry.
  • Lmdaniels
    Lmdaniels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse practitioner for a cardiologist. I would definitely say you need to have that evaluated. Esp. ecially since you're working out
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes - I get these too, and have always wondered what it is. I mentioned it to my doctor once and he shrugged it off. I've been getting these since I was in university - so 12 + years. I wondered if it's associated with my thyroid (I have hypothyroidism), but that's probably unrealated

Funny that you say that because i also have hypothyroidism... i had thyroid cancer and my thyroid was fully removed. i've never had anyone who was listening to my heart every say anything negative but i've also never mentioned this to my doctor.
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied! i have an apt coming up to see my endocronologist soon so i'll bring the heart flutter up to him.