I'm losing muscle - is that typical?

Options
Since joining MFP, I have been tracking my body fat percentage using a Tanita body fat scale. In three weeks, I have lost a total of 9.4 lbs. My body fat percentage has dropped by 2.3% which means I lost 7.2 lbs of fat and 2.2 lbs of lean muscle. Is that typical and should I be concerned?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The numbers on those scales aren't very accurate, I doubt you lost that much muscle.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Those scales are not very accurate so might not be the case but you will lose some muscle as you lose weight unless you are doing some weight lifting.
  • skinnyjeans1920
    skinnyjeans1920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, those scales are not very accurate and can give you different readings depending a variety of factors. Your best bet is to have a trainer use a skin calliper tool to determine your body fat percentage and retest every month with the same trainer. That is the most accurate measure of body fat other than a water immersion test.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said, I wouldn't rely on those scales as being accurate. If you want to guaratee you aren't losing muscle as you lose weight you should add some strength training into your week, heavy lifting is great
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    sounds about right - 77% of fat and 23% of fat-free mass (not necessarily lean muscle - water etc).

That's why the 3500 cals/lb isn't the 4086 you would expect for pure fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes it's very possible depending on how you are losing.

are you still weight lifting or doing mainly cardio? how low have you went down in calories? how much protein are you consuming?
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In the past week, I have been averaging about 110 grams of protein daily. My starting weight was 205 and current weight is right around 195. I have been doing cardio and strength training. I just called a local gym to see if someone there can do a real body fat check with calipers since that approach is more reliable. I'll post an update to let you know how the calipers compare to the Tanita scale. Great feedback MFPs.
  • JohnnyBLean
    Options
    Oh, as far as calories, I'm eating between 1800 - 2200 per day.
  • JohnnyBLean
    Options
    sounds about right - 77% of fat and 23% of fat-free mass (not necessarily lean muscle - water etc).

That's why the 3500 cals/lb isn't the 4086 you would expect for pure fat.

I clearly understood the 3500 calories per pound. I'm afraid you lost me on the 4086 number. Please explain further.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Good rule of thumb is to eat about 0.8-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you should be very concerned. You'll be all flab soon at that rate......
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the scale. But if you suspect you are losing muscle check your sugar. You can buy one of the monitor at Walmart for about $20. My DH used the monitor and found he was really high. He is now no longer losing muscle (his diabetes attacked the muscle not the fat) So we are working out to gain strength and we both jog. Good luck.