Gluten-free

Options
Anyone had to go gluten-free? How did you do it?

I've been instructed to go gluten free by my doctor. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis...basically that means my thyroid is being attacked by my body and no longer metabolizes my food. Makes it incredibly hard to lose weight.

I also watched a recent Dr. Oz show that named a bunch of symptoms that could be caused by gluten sensitivity. I had like 8 of them. I've tried in the past to go gluten free, but it's so expensive and so difficult. I've started over again, as of Monday. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    First of all: Ignore everything Dr. Oz says. He's a quack and says anything anyone who is giving him a fat cheque wants him to say.

Secondly: Gluten-free is seriously hard. You basically have to eliminate all grains from your diet, and if you ever eat something, it's best to bake it yourself so you know it really is gluten free! The rewards from doing it, if gluten does really cause you problems, are definitely worth the efforts! Eat more veggies. It'll make for a good substitution.

Now, before anyone flames on this post: I do realize not all grains contain gluten, but all of the common ones do. If you want to start using other grains, it becomes incredibly expensive and, IMO, not worth the cost. Just cut out grains entirely.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First of all: Ignore everything Dr. Oz says. He's a quack and says anything anyone who is giving him a fat cheque wants him to say.

Secondly: Gluten-free is seriously hard. You basically have to eliminate all grains from your diet, and if you ever eat something, it's best to bake it yourself so you know it really is gluten free! The rewards from doing it, if gluten does really cause you problems, are definitely worth the efforts! Eat more veggies. It'll make for a good substitution.

Now, before anyone flames on this post: I do realize not all grains contain gluten, but all of the common ones do. If you want to start using other grains, it becomes incredibly expensive and, IMO, not worth the cost. Just cut out grains entirely.
    ^^this
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    its easy. You can buy gluten free oats and eat lots of veggies fruit and rice, quinoa stuff like that.
    Rice cakes or gluten free bread. Not that hard once you get used to it.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat sensitivity but for convenience I have taken all gluten out of my diet. I live in NYC, so finding really GOOD GF foods isn't difficult at all. You can actually find a lot of them on Amazon, believe it or not. There is GF pasta, GF bread, etc. Of course, there are some things I really miss - REAL bagels, REAL French bread..... But I really find I have a lot of choices. I am not at all suffering. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have to stay gluten-free and dairy-free or I suffer the consequences. Both of those foods trigger migraines, digestive problems, and hormonal problems for me. It takes attention to detail to fully eliminate the offending food from your diet but in my experience it's been worth it. My best friend has Hashimoto's and ended up with the same dietary changes needed.

You're welcome to look through my diary for ideas. There are PLENTY of things to eat that do not have gluten. :)
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate it.

I've pretty much cut out grains, although I still ate quinoa flakes for breakfast this morning. I like a little substance and tire of fruit smoothies every morning.

I've noticed that because I feel so limited I eat more dairy. I continue to have burning in my stomach, so I'm wondering if the dairy is causing that too, or maybe I haven't been gluten-free long enough to notice a change.
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy as well and strive to be gluten free and vegan. Its just normal now not really so hard once you get the hang of it.
  • Idance2
    Options
    I have been GF for over 10 years. Much easier now with all the GF products available. I'm also allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, and corn. You just have to educate yourself and read labels. It is a little more expensive if you buy all the GF products in the store, but I find it helps with portion control!!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

It's not that hard! There are lots of gluten free options. I suspect it depends on where you live. I've found some decent breads by Canyon Bakery at my local Whole Foods (they do contain fiber) so if you want sandwiches, you can do that. I also eat Van's Waffles and a few others that are gluten free and they aren't bad. Pamela's makes some nice gluten free mixes that are easy to use to make waffles and stuff if you want to go the home made route. You'll need to weigh and measure which is why I prefer to buy the gluten free waffles pre-made. It's convenient. Don't be scared by going gluten free...it's just a matter of planning and reading labels. They even make gluten free pasta's that are quite good.

The hardest part will be doing lunch. I solved that by doubling up my dinner cooking (larger portions) so that I could take the leftovers to work the next day. They sell a mini-crockpot at Target (online at Walmart) and it's just enough for a small lunch. I fill it up with rice, leftover chicken, pasta, frozen veggies and sometimes some seasonings and by lunch, it's hot and good to go. You just need to plug it into an extension somewhere at the office and you'll not have to worry about lunch time. I find big bags of veggies at Costco (and BJ's) and basically, the crock pot steams them beautifully after a few hours. If you love rice, this is super easy and I've actually had some fun experimenting with seasonings.

Do you have a grill? If yes, even a George Foreman is fine, just grill an extra chicken breast for lunch. Buy a rice cooker and you're set for rice...

As for other grains, yep - avoid them. I buy Mill's Gluten Free Oats (only use equipment in gluten free fields - no wheat grown there at all) which are nice. For snacks, there are Rice type chips that are very tasty. Avoid Quinoa as some people have a reaction to it. I would be careful of restaurants. There are some who claim gluten free but that doesn't mean they have the same manufacturing processes as a factory. There have been problems in the past going that route. I generally only go to restaurants that include steak and maybe a baked potato and veggies. It's harder to mess up dishes if there are no sauces. I like Outback Steakhouse - but look at their 500 calorie menu. You'll go WAY over if you order a potato. Sob.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll see that you will have a ton of energy once you start eating veggies, fruits and you're off the gluten.

As for Dr. Oz - don't be put off by those who despise the man - it seems like around here you mention the man's name and suddenly a ton of people will come out and post like 30 posts about how much they despise him. Sigh. It's like a hobby for them. :) We all have our opinions. Wink. If you want more advice on Gluten free, there is a forum here dedicated to that if you look under groups. :)

P.S. The above was not an invitation to a shooting fest...for those who are too serious, I was lightly making a joke and not requesting a citation style oriented discussion on the merits of the man.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it's not unusual for people who are sensitive to gluten to also be sensitive to dairy. In my case I was getting horrible headaches and other symptoms (had for years but didn't know why!) so when I finally went to her she told me to eliminate both immediately. She said stay off both for minimum 6 weeks, then add one (not both) back into my diet for a week and see if I had any reaction. If that went okay I was supposed to add the other back in the following week. The bottom line is, both substances are trouble for me!!
  • 76birdy76
    76birdy76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    are house is going gluten free, I do make my own cookies and baked goods it is much cheaper.I personaly like the gluten free all purpose flour it works very well. I get mine from Bulk Barn if you live in Canada .I do make my own bread ( did end up buying a bread machine ). if you do like pasta I suggest you go to an orentail market , that is where i get mine because 1) because I can the same stiles of noodles, but for one third the price.

Good luck have any other questions just ask or friend me.

8 0)

76birdy76
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you have no issues with cheese, you don't have to eliminate it. I would ask your doctor if you could be tested if you suspect a dairy problem. Also, you can take lactaid tablets if it's a digestion issue. I would just watch the quantities and include them into your diary. I suspect you just need to go out and find those extra items that will fill you up. Brown rice is really great for making you feel full and it's very nutritional. :)
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I got some really good advice and ideas. I appreciate that you took time out of your day.

One of the reasons I mentioned Oz's show is because all the symptoms he mentioned that I have, could be attributed to a food sensitivity. What I suspect is I don't have an outright allergy and I know my doctor would poo poo the idea of a sensitivity if the allergy test is negative.

Oz said a lot of doctors will negate food sensitivities because they don't know much about them. So the message I got, is I should figure this mystery out on my own.

Nothing I eat makes me violently ill, or causes me to breakout in a rash. But I do have depression, brain fog, fatigue, sore joints, acid reflux, bloating, gas, constipation (sorry not real pleasant), and headaches. All of these things can be caused by my thyroid and/or coupled with a food sensitivity as well as a host of other things. So I really have to be my own detective.

Thanks again for the help! Please feel free to add me (if you haven't already). I would love to stay in touch.
    Jen
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been100% gluten free for 6 years and YES it is hard but NO it's not impossible....feel free to Friend or PM me for support!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to read the other posts or I will likely flip out....

You can look at my diary. I am completely gluten-free and I do not eat any grains, legumes, artificial sweeteners. I limit fruit and natural sweeteners, and dairy. Dairy doesn't work well for everyone, but I seem to be ok with the full fat types such as cheese and cream. I have a high fat, moderate protein, low carb food plan.

I changed my diet for my health first and foremost. I was VERY sick. No doctor has told me to eat this way but I have done lots of research and have past experience with a similar way of eating. I've also observed my Inuit neighbours and what they were eating when they were healthy and what they are eating now while disease rates are increasing. Within two weeks after changing my diet I was no longer sick (and I'm talking some serious, life threatening illnesses!) and now, 11 weeks later, I have lost 23 pounds without ever being hungry or feeling deprived.

The only time I find it "hard" is when I am away from home as wheat, sugar, or artificial sweeteners seem to be in everything and most people don't eat like I do. But there is always something that I can eat, even if it's only some raw veggies and cheese. I can eat just about any kind of salad; hold the croutons.