Where are your weights?

Options
I would love to use free weights at home but where do you put yours?

I have a gym membership but between the hubs and I the $ 100.00 a month is getting a bit tight. We have been really enjoying our walking and jogging together after dinner when my parents watch the kids and between the travel to the gym and back and chatting up people etc. a gym visits takes hours and I have three small kids at home and work full time! A one hour walk/jog after work or dinner and then using weights after the kids are in bed (I can't leave at night when after my parents are done but I could use the weights if I knew where to put them!) would be better for me time and money wise.

I have no basement or rec room. The living room won't work and the family room is kinda full. I can't find a spot for them if I were to buy them! Under the bed or in a closet?

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My fixed weight DB's are on a small rack on one side of the garage. My barbell and adjustable dumbbells are against the wall and I stack my plates beside them. I have a cushioned pad for pushups, things like that, that can be dismantled and stacked. I have a bench too, but all of this equipment still only takes up about a 1/4 of my garage when it's laid out.

I don't see why you couldn't slide the weights under the bed or in a closet. It's hard to say without actually seeing your house. Just be careful that your kids don't hurt themselves on the equipment you leave out. I think that would be my biggest concern.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I used to tuck my weights, mat, shoes, and kettle bell under the couch. They were out of the way but in easy access.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Mine are in the corner of a room. They could also go in a closet, under a bed, in a cabinet etc
    If you're REALLY hurting for room, try using resistance bands. You can get multiple bands for different resistance & they can really be easily stored anywhere!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    We have a "weight room" in our finished basement. Thats where the weights are. :happy:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    dumbbells and kettlebells are in our bedroom, next to the stationary bike. Yoga mats are rolled up and standing up next to the night stand. Swiss ball is rolling around the bedrooms. Preschoolers love the ball. Bench, barbells and plates are in the garage. We park our cars in the driveway.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Our weights have always taken priority in our living quarters - in the apartment, they were in the living room along one wall. In our first house, we used the spare bedroom for them and just didn't have overnight company. :) Now in the house we built we put them in a "bedroom" as well that we use strictly as a weight room. All of the above are good suggestions, though! You'll find a spot where they are handy - just don't be afraid to rearrange furniture to do so!
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in my bedroom bathroom area. Having the mirror makes sure for good body mechanics while lifting. Up against the wall when not using for my heavier ones and for the lighter ones on a shelf thing with four different levels. It was a hand me down. Look for something like that maybe at yard sales or second hand stores. Good luck! :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    well you either have space or you don't. I don't have space. Lol. Hopefully one of these days I'll have a home with a basement or spare room or something I can set up a little weight room so I don't have to go to the gym.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i used to keep mine in the bedroom either tucked under my bed or in my closet. when i moved i left them behind (they were my brothers anyway) so once i buy a new set (i hope soon) i will keep them in my closet.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you guys have a YMCA, you could cut your fees in half.