Is this realistic? Walking 5K

Options
One of my MFP friends got me thinking about this (thanks, FatGuy450!) and I don't know if this is a realistic goal or not. I have a torn meniscus in my right knee but I am still fairly mobile. I participate in water aerobics and have done a little bit of walking at this point.

So, my question is this: Is it realistic to plan to walk a 5K on Thanksgiving Day? I have the time to walk every day and can make a commitment to do so. What should I be considering? Is there a more realistic goal that I can shoot for? I know that I can't run. I've tried it and my knee didn't like it. I also don't have a knee brace as my leg is too fat and weirdly shaped to keep one in place. (Obviously I mean for exercise to improve this problem.) Lastly, I won't have a torn meniscus forever. I have 66 pounds to go and then I can have surgery to get it fixed. But I don't want to wait until after the surgery to participate in a 5K if at all possible.

Thanks for any/all advice!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it will take over 6 months to lose your weight so you can have the surgery.

If you do the walk and injure the leg even worse, you will lose more mobility and possibly worse and then face six months of more pain and less mobility.

Is it worth the risk? I dont think so unless you can get a custom brace.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    it will take over 6 months to lose your weight so you can have the surgery.

If you do the walk and injure the leg even worse, you will lose more mobility and possibly worse and then face six months of more pain and less mobility.

Is it worth the risk? I dont think so unless you can get a custom brace.

That's a good point. I guess I was just looking for a way to speed up weight loss while doing something that I enjoy. I guess I have more to lose than gain by doing it though, when you put it that way.

And, my dad has a custom knee brace which cost over $1000. It's not practical for me to spend that kind of money when I know there are other ways that I can lose weight.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt to walk? And how far do you walk now?

When my meniscus was torn, I could walk just fine and cycle on low resistance, but not dream of running. I would have walked a 5k in a heartbeat. However, the distance wasn't significantly longer than I could already do.

Best advice -call your doctor and ask him. Depending on what type of tear, etc, he may say "go for it" or "sit it out". If he says "go for it', then I would.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    How much walking can do you do now? Walking 5k would take about an hour or so at a moderate walking pace. If you can comfortably walk that long/far without pain, I'd say go for it. Even if you can now walk about 2 miles, you can add a quarter of a mile per week and reach 3 miles in time for Thanksgiving.

But if it causes actual PAIN, it's not worth it. Pushing through aches, stiffness, soreness is one thing, but pain = stop.
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have a knoweldgable trainer, or a pt, they would be able to let you know what you can do as far as walking a 5K.

If the 5 K is a 'fun walk' and you can just be part of the crowd, (and if you have someone who will stay with you at your pace) there's something about having a goal that keeps us all motivated to exercise.
    My suggestion? Work toward a goal... if it's a 5K... so be it. by looking forward to a goal, think through all that needs to be done to accomplish that.
    If you need to get the surgery before you can train for it, then that's part of the goal, getting to a place you can have the surgery.

A lot of race is in the head anyway. As you think toward the 5K and cannot do it until after the surgery, get mental while you prepare for surgery and recovery. Think positive thoughts give yourself motivation, read up on healthy athletetic diets,

I sure hope you meet your goals
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A 5K is 3.1 miles. Can you walk that distance or close to it?

A lot of people walk them. Usually the last of the crowd is coming in at around an hour and 20 minutes or so, which is a pretty slow walk.

But if it's the injury you're concerned about, that's something to take up with medical professionals.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think you'd do better to look at a non weightbearing activity, that will enable you to be active, but not put additional pressure on the injury. Swimming is the obvious candidate.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If the only reason you want to walk is to aid weight loss then I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of your loss will be through diet. You lose weight by monitoring your calories and you gain fitness by doing exercise. Once you get some weight off then you can start working on improving your fitness level.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How much walking can do you do now? Walking 5k would take about an hour or so at a moderate walking pace. If you can comfortably walk that long/far without pain, I'd say go for it. Even if you can now walk about 2 miles, you can add a quarter of a mile per week and reach 3 miles in time for Thanksgiving.

But if it causes actual PAIN, it's not worth it. Pushing through aches, stiffness, soreness is one thing, but pain = stop.

Agree with OP......how much/far can you walk baseline with yout torn meniscus? What does your orthopedic surgeon recommend? Some folks have tears and can still be fairly active. Both of my menisci were torn at some time, I never considered running then but I walked a lot, walked at a good pace even at work and was on my feet all the time. Biking was always fine and so was walking for miles for me. Again, listen to your body....pain, swelling are indicators that you may be overdoing it, soreness and aches may be fine. If you need a little support and can not find any type of knee brace that will fit (you may be able to check into some wrap around the knee style, often from a neoprene type material) then you can try good old ace wrap from a drugstore. Not as comfortable as it may bunch and slip after a while but possibly enough for a long walk. But most importantly I would run this by your doctor, PCP or better the orthopedic doctor that diagnosed and plans on repairing your meniscal tear. Good luck, hopefully you'll get the OK for a bit more walking :smile:
  • RunningOnPurple
    Options
    No, it does not hurt to walk. When they had me doing physical therapy which actually made it worse I had to walk with a cane. Since then I am fine. Throughout the course of the day I may walk up to 2.5 miles just for normal activities, especially on days when I have to go to school. On these days I may be a little ouchy at the end of the day, but nothing too terrible.

I can stop by the doctor's office at school tomorrow to see if I can talk to one of the sports medicine doctors as my actual knee doctor cannot be reached reliably.

If the only reason you want to walk is to aid weight loss then I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of your loss will be through diet. You lose weight by monitoring your calories and you gain fitness by doing exercise. Once you get some weight off then you can start working on improving your fitness level.

It's not only for weight loss, but also a goal relating to something that is very personal to me. I am willing to wait if necessary, though.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ^ Wise plan. Best wishes for your goal!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just skimming through the responses, I didn't notice this idea.

Since you say you walk about 2.5 miles each day anyway, how about walking 1 to 1.5 miles (2 km, +/-) at a time? Sit and rest for a few minutes - maybe keeping the knee flexing a little, so it doesn't stiffen up - and continue on for another 1-1.5 miles, rest, then complete the walk?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

^^ This

Listen to your body!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor ok's it. then by all means, a 5k is NOT a hard walk for anyone who walks regularly. I don't even walk daily and we do a couple 5k's a year through work and non-profit fundraising.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great goal, and congratulations for setting one. As long as you follow the advice of the others - don't continue through pain - I think you could do it by Thanksgiving. Just remember, it's OK to be tired, it's not OK to be in pain.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • tam823
    tam823 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tore my PCL and my MCL in June. I would walk everyday to be active. I would listen to my body but would increase my speed as much as possible. If the knee was hurting that day, I didn't walk. I did have a brace though. I know you said you didn't have a brace but have you tried maybe looking for a neoprene brace. I do believe they make them in all different sizes. They also sell a knee band strap you wear just below the knee that helps support your knee. My brother in law wears one and swears by it. He completely smashed his meniscus. He had his fixed but with this strap, he can feel the support. Just a thought.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I tore my meniscus In January and ran a half-marathon in April with no surgery. In no way am I condoning this. I did see a orthopedic surgeon and he suggested I take a month off of running. I could still walk, bike, swim, elliptical, and weight train. I still haven't had surgery, but have lost 26lbs. and am still running and training for my second half-marathon in January. I know I have a strange case, and I'm saying all of this to say, I think you can walk the 5K if walking 2.5 miles daily does not give you too much pain.

Good luck in whatever decision you make! :flowerforyou:
  • RunningOnPurple
    Options
    I tore my meniscus In January and ran a half-marathon in April with no surgery. In no way am I condoning this. I did see a orthopedic surgeon and he suggested I take a month off of running. I could still walk, bike, swim, elliptical, and weight train. I still haven't had surgery, but have lost 26lbs. and am still running and training for my second half-marathon in January. I know I have a strange case, and I'm saying all of this to say, I think you can walk the 5K if walking 2.5 miles daily does not give you too much pain.

Good luck in whatever decision you make! :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I'm going to go talk to the Sports Medicine doc tonight before class. That's great that you are able to run but I weigh about 175ish more pounds than you and I'm sure that makes some kind of difference.
  • RunningOnPurple
    Options
    My doctor said no. At least I have something to look forward to next year.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My doctor said no. At least I have something to look forward to next year.

I'm so sorry, :sad: but yes, you do have a goal to look forward too. :flowerforyou: