Weight Loss Vs Limited Mobility

Options
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone else on here struggles to maintain a suitable weight due to being physically disabled.

It'd be nice to find a couple of buddies in a similar situation. Perhaps we can help each other to stay positive and focussed on achieving our goals.

I'm not massively overweight, but my situation means the weight will continue to increase. I'm worried that things will get out of hand soon, if I don't get it under control and hope myfitnesspal will support me with this.

I joined a couple of weeks ago and am hoping this site will help me manage my weight by showing me where I'm going wrong. I'm impressed so far with what it offers and am slowly learning what it can offer.

Thanks for reading.

Amber :flowerforyou:

Replies

• VogtAndrea
    Options
    Hi:
    MFP can help you with working towards a realistic weight loss goal with your limited mobility or with a sedentary lifestyle. Set your profile to a sedentary lifestyle and your weight loss to a rate of half to one pound a week. MFP will give you a number of calories per day that even without exercising past your abilities, you can work with.
    You CAN DO IT.
  • Ambermarigold
    Ambermarigold Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the message.... and this. I've worked out MFP, by the way! I've been working with 'sedentary' and '1 lb per week', just as you were saying and hope to see some progress soon. Thanks for the vote of confidence :happy:
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    when I started i had a torn ligament in my right knee, and a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder... so exercise was difficult to say the least.... I just started moving the parts that I could... remember.... anything that is hard to do physically... is pushing your body to burn calories....it doesn't have to be the typical workouts....just find things that challenge you and you're on your way.... working out in bed is always a good option btw.... you work what you can.... and rest when you need to... it will make a difference and sooner or later you'll find your mobility is increased..... good luck and get moving :)
  • Turtle_12
    Turtle_12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think there's only a handful of people with physical disabilities on MFP - I've searched a few times for other wheelchair basketball players etc. but never found more than one or two... but that said, I've found that pretty much all of my weight loss happened in the kitchen (just like that phrase "10% gym 90% kitchen"!). I was active before and all it took was changing my diet and suddenly the pounds started melting away. Although you might not be able to do the heavy cardio, weight maintenance is certainly possible and low impact things like yoga/swimming/etc are good for health. Maybe you could create a group to find others with limited mobility? Good luck! You can do it!
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Thanks Jazzalea for taking the time to reply to me. There were some very sensible suggestions in your message. I hadn't really broken things down the way you had. By that I mean, that I can adapt certain things to different environments such as my bed. I'll have a think about that idea. Have you done this? Can you suggest anything?

At the moment I'm using my exercise bike every other day. I do yoga and tai chi once a week. I go walking when I can, for as long as I can. This is mostly on the flat but I can manage slight inclines and don't avoid them. Swimming probably won't be possible until next year due to a heart op I now need, but hopefully I can fairly soon after recovery. I also enjoy gardening too, which I don't think I mentioned in my profile. This is also in a limited manner now, but I always feel like I've done a work - out afterwards!

What you have already achieved is very inspiring. You and your family must be very proud of your acomplishment. i.hope I find your commitment and level of consitent motivation. Thank you very much for your help and sorry this message is late I didn't know I wouldn't be alerted to replies!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Thank you Turtle_12. I've never heard of that phrase "10% gym 90% kitchen".......I shall bare that in mind though. It does make sense. It sounds like it's been a bit frustrating having found so few physically limited / disabled individuals here. I'm surprised. I thought there would be lots. It's such a common difficulty.....you loose mobility and weight starts to climb. I think your idea of starting a spicific group is a great one! thanks for the suggestion :happy: It's very positive and encouraging that you found just adjusting your dietry consumption made so much difference. My husband and I eat a generally healthy and balanced diet. It is very rare indeed for me to consume fizzy drinks or crisps, (both of which I've had in the past 24 hours....though I can't take full responsibility for that as a friend supplied the lovely lunch). We are both a sucker for sweet things however and find them hard to resist.... chocolate, cakes, puddings. That sort of thing.

As you guessed, I can't manage much in the way of heavy cardio or lifting weight, but low impact and weight - bearing exercise is possible and good for me. I am keen and determined when I set my mind to anything. I would be nice to find other positive, motivating, encouraging, optomistic people on here. A group specifically for physically disabled people sounds the next step I think! Perhaps something you'd be interested in joining too.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. A great help.
    :drinker:
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber!
    I struggle with a sedentary lifestyle now as well. I have hip impingment as well as a torn labrum which has inhibited my exercise for the past 8 months. I am going in for hip surgery next week and will be unable to walk for two weeks, and then on crutches for 8 weeks. I always would love to have more friends who understand what it's like to not be able to exercise! feel free to add me :)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm putting myself in this thread.
    I have had a busted kneee for over a year now, sometimes i can't walk up the stairs.
    I've still lost 10 kg over the year. Yes its slow, but its a downward trend nd something i cn maintain.

I've learnt lots from mfp about nutrition in general and the logging really helps to stay on track.
    So it can be one, just hang in there.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jazzalea for taking the time to reply to me. There were some very sensible suggestions in your message. I hadn't really broken things down the way you had. By that I mean, that I can adapt certain things to different environments such as my bed. I'll have a think about that idea. Have you done this? Can you suggest anything?

At the moment I'm using my exercise bike every other day. I do yoga and tai chi once a week. I go walking when I can, for as long as I can. This is mostly on the flat but I can manage slight inclines and don't avoid them. Swimming probably won't be possible until next year due to a heart op I now need, but hopefully I can fairly soon after recovery. I also enjoy gardening too, which I don't think I mentioned in my profile. This is also in a limited manner now, but I always feel like I've done a work - out afterwards!

What you have already achieved is very inspiring. You and your family must be very proud of your acomplishment. i.hope I find your commitment and level of consitent motivation. Thank you very much for your help and sorry this message is late I didn't know I wouldn't be alerted to replies!
    :flowerforyou:

I love working out in bed.... and not in THAT way... although.... .but back to serious stuff here..... I crank the tunes.... and "danced" in bed for months.... just let yourself go and you'll move to the music without hurting yourself.... when you're tired... you are in the perfect place to rest.... and you'll find that you just start moving something else.... give it a shot.... I used to laugh at myself when I would catch sight of myself in the mirror.... but look at me now!
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hi i found this site a few weeks ago it might help you get some ideas for chair exercises and lower impact workouts. . it's free. http://www.ncpad.org/14weeks/index.php. it is for people with disabilites. it has things for people who are wheel chair bound as well as for upwardly mobile people. i lost 45 pounds so far. 33 of it on mpf and 15 on my own. having the mpf people here was so much easier. i use a cane to walk and ride my recumbant bike for most of my exercises. there are some days though that do like jazz and do leg lifts and light yoga in the bed. if you can only do 5 minutes at a time it is fine. it is the fact you are moving your body thats important. my physical therapist said if nothing else when i am watching tv to try to exercise during commericals even if it's just moving my feet up and down and raising my arms up and down over my head. you can do this thing. don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't show weight loss quickly. if you are able to move around better than before you started then you are improving.

t
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    There was a program on PBS called "Sit and be Fit" that my grandparents really enjoyed. I'm not sure what limitations you have, but that may be an option for you.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Hi Amber!
    I struggle with a sedentary lifestyle now as well. I have hip impingment as well as a torn labrum which has inhibited my exercise for the past 8 months. I am going in for hip surgery next week and will be unable to walk for two weeks, and then on crutches for 8 weeks. I always would love to have more friends who understand what it's like to not be able to exercise! feel free to add me :)
    Hi Amber!

Hi Shinelikevega :happy:

Thank you for your message. Apologies for the late reply. I use MFP on my mobile most days and it's only when I'm on my laptop that I can use the Community area of this website and read / reply to messages.

I have taken the decision to set up a new group: Limited Mobility & Exercise Alternatives. A suggestion made by another contributor on this post (thank you :flowerforyou: ) I thought you and the other people who've contributed on this post, may be interested. It would perhaps be a help to us all, to share ideas and thoughts on the best ways to get fit and loose weight. I'm sure many of us have found methods of exercising that have worked. Even those of us who are wheelchair users for much of the time. Or like myself, use a walking stick, to get about. And I for one, would love to hear!

I hope your operation went well and that the pain is now under control Shine. xx

I've also sent an invite to miracle4me, squeaktones, jazzalea, zylahe. If others are interested please join too. xx
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Hi Bahacca, :smile:

Thanks for your message. I only found it this evening. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for the great suggestion. It sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with PBS though. Can you tell me what PBS is please?Is it a TV station? I'm in England. Do you know if this is something I can view / access on the internet?

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. xx
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    hi i found this site a few weeks ago it might help you get some ideas for chair exercises and lower impact workouts. . it's free. http://www.ncpad.org/14weeks/index.php. it is for people with disabilites. it has things for people who are wheel chair bound as well as for upwardly mobile people. i lost 45 pounds so far. 33 of it on mpf and 15 on my own. having the mpf people here was so much easier. i use a cane to walk and ride my recumbant bike for most of my exercises. there are some days though that do like jazz and do leg lifts and light yoga in the bed. if you can only do 5 minutes at a time it is fine. it is the fact you are moving your body thats important. my physical therapist said if nothing else when i am watching tv to try to exercise during commericals even if it's just moving my feet up and down and raising my arms up and down over my head. you can do this thing. don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't show weight loss quickly. if you are able to move around better than before you started then you are improving.

t

Hi Squeaktones,

Thanks for your message.....what great suggestions too :happy: I will look up that website! I appreciate your positivity and encouragements too. I think this is as much about having the right attitude and seeing things from a new perspective, as doing the exercise itself. I've learnt so much since joining this site! Thank you for contributing to that :flowerforyou:

I;ve sent you an invite to a new group I've set up, on the off chance you may find it helpful or that you believe you can share some suggestions. It would be great to see you there. Thank you.

xx
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    I think there's only a handful of people with physical disabilities on MFP - I've searched a few times for other wheelchair basketball players etc. but never found more than one or two... but that said, I've found that pretty much all of my weight loss happened in the kitchen (just like that phrase "10% gym 90% kitchen"!). I was active before and all it took was changing my diet and suddenly the pounds started melting away. Although you might not be able to do the heavy cardio, weight maintenance is certainly possible and low impact things like yoga/swimming/etc are good for health. Maybe you could create a group to find others with limited mobility? Good luck! You can do it!

Hi again Turtle_12,

Well after a few weeks pondering your suggestion, I've decided to create a group for Limited Mobility & Alternative Exercises. I have sent you an invite. As you said you have sturggled to find many other individuals in a similar situation. You may therefore find it helpful. You may also be able to share your experience. Thank you for your support and inspiring me to set this up. xx
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    I'm putting myself in this thread.
    I have had a busted kneee for over a year now, sometimes i can't walk up the stairs.
    I've still lost 10 kg over the year. Yes its slow, but its a downward trend nd something i cn maintain.

I've learnt lots from mfp about nutrition in general and the logging really helps to stay on track.
    So it can be one, just hang in there.

Hi Zylahe,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to read about your situation but very impressed by how much weight you've still managed to loose. It's encouraging. I too have learnt so much in such a short time!

I've decided to set up a new group Limited Mobility & Alternative Exercises. I thought you may find it of interest as you've commented on this post. It would be nice to get togetehr a few people with similar experiences who can share, suggest ideas and support each other. it would be great to have you in the group.
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    I'm looking forward to working out in bed by the way Jazzalea! I'd certainly never thought of that before, LOL. :laugh: Dancing under the duvet to good music, would cetainly be different and far from boring. Unlike using my exercise bike.

Thanks for sharing your top tips!!

Amber
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    Hello Amber
    My name is Robbin,43yrs and Iam retired from the AirForce and am currently waiting on a consult with a neurosurgeon for my neck. I have been waiting for 4yrs between different VA facilities between GA and ID to get a couple of my disc replaced. Its gotten so bad in the last cople of months that I take so much medication just to tolorate the pain to sit or sleep. I am limited on driving now so my husband does most of it. It kills me that I went from being so active to not being able to stand nor sit for longer than 10minutes without pain. I gained so much weight and decided to lose it so when I have my surgery it will be easier to and safer for me. I am seeing a weightloss doctor and am on a 1200 cal a day diet. I dont eat out or boxed foods, and now am able to walk upto 40mins aday with my poochies. So I know how hard it is to lose weight when you are limited in mobility. I wish you the best in your journey!
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Hello Amber
    My name is Robbin,43yrs and Iam retired from the AirForce and am currently waiting on a consult with a neurosurgeon for my neck. I have been waiting for 4yrs between different VA facilities between GA and ID to get a couple of my disc replaced. Its gotten so bad in the last cople of months that I take so much medication just to tolorate the pain to sit or sleep. I am limited on driving now so my husband does most of it. It kills me that I went from being so active to not being able to stand nor sit for longer than 10minutes without pain. I gained so much weight and decided to lose it so when I have my surgery it will be easier to and safer for me. I am seeing a weightloss doctor and am on a 1200 cal a day diet. I dont eat out or boxed foods, and now am able to walk upto 40mins aday with my poochies. So I know how hard it is to lose weight when you are limited in mobility. I wish you the best in your journey!

Hi Robbin,

Thank you for messaging me.....I'm amazed how much weight you have already lost considering the restriction that your liomited mobiilty places on you!! Well done you. It's so encouraging to see as well. Like you I don't drive, so my husband is my chauffer as well as my carer and cook etc... I'm very lucky to have his support. I miss my freedom, independence and spontaneity. Everything has to be so carefully planned now, doesn't it?

People say I don't need to loose much, but I know I do. Mentally it's very, very hard though. I love cakes and chocolate and when I cook, it's the sweet stuff...bread and butter pudding and apple crumbles, haha. The friends I meet, also enjoy meeting over tea and cake! But, things need to change. I've only ever had the occasional indulgence, but now that I move so slowly the weight sits on my hips and waist so quickly I have be much more cautious, without loosing friends and fun! I know that although I've only gone up 2 dress sizes at present, but this will continue to get worse if I don't take control!!

I was put into a drug induced menopause, at the age of 39 to help fight the breast cancer and I have another 4 years of that. So the weight will continue to pile on. And the more weight, the slower I will move and the worse the joints will become.....a vicious circle!!

All the best with the neurosurgery appointment and with the surgery itself. I really hope it gives you some freedom and better movement. It would be lovely to have you in the group, should you find it helpful at any point. Many thanks. xx