Pants That Fit

Options
I figured this was a "Support" Question. With the weight that i have lost, I find that for whatever reason, my waist is still bigger than my thighs (Apple shape, Grr!) so pants fit at my waist and then i have big saggy butt and legs! Does anyone either A) have this problem too and know where a good place to buy jeans/pants that fit without looking like "mom jeans" or B) I know TECHNICALLY there is no way to spot reduce, but any good suggestions on getting rid of this inner tube of fat on my waistline?

Replies

• lizphantom
    Options
    Hi new friend! I have the opposite problem, smaller waist than hips/thighs, so I can't help you with pants.. but when it comes to dresses and skirts, SPANX are a girls best friend! They suck in my lower tummy pooch very nicely, and as an added bonus, they hide panty lines!
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had similar problem - whatever fit my waist bagged around the hips/butt, and whatever fit hips/butt was way too small for my waist. My waist isn't going to go much smaller if any, and it took a long time for me to get past the concept of wanting bigger hips!! Instead, I found a good tailor. I spend a little more on each pair so it is of good fabric (my tailor tells me if it's not - I take them in to her before I take the tags off to make sure she can make it work) and worth the cost of tailoring, but they last. Same problem with skirts, and she does those as well. Even dresses - I'm a size or 2 smaller on the bottom than the top, so whatever fits on top will definitely be too big on the bottom. if it's something that will require alterations, I look for a classic style, nothing too trendy, so it won't look dated too soon and I'll get my money's worth out of the alterations.
  • nsanville
    nsanville Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had similar problem - whatever fit my waist bagged around the hips/butt, and whatever fit hips/butt was way too small for my waist. My waist isn't going to go much smaller if any, and it took a long time for me to get past the concept of wanting bigger hips!! Instead, I found a good tailor. I spend a little more on each pair so it is of good fabric (my tailor tells me if it's not - I take them in to her before I take the tags off to make sure she can make it work) and worth the cost of tailoring, but they last. Same problem with skirts, and she does those as well. Even dresses - I'm a size or 2 smaller on the bottom than the top, so whatever fits on top will definitely be too big on the bottom. if it's something that will require alterations, I look for a classic style, nothing too trendy, so it won't look dated too soon and I'll get my money's worth out of the alterations.

Thats some good advice! Perhaps I will look into that! Can they tailor jeans?
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thats some good advice! Perhaps I will look into that! Can they tailor jeans?
    Tailors can tailor almost anything for you. Definitely jeans. :-) Best of luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of pants that fits you in the waist and take them to a tailor - you'll discover he will soon be your best friend. I'm tall - 5'11 - but have legs of a 6'3 person - 37" inseam, so every pair of pants I buy I need to get a tall - hope they have enough in the hem to take down, and take them to a tailor to get them let out.

They can tailor ANYTHING...
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same shape, but add to that I am only 4'9", so everything (including petite sizes) is way too long! It throws off the whole fit of a piece of clothing! I want to visit a tailor but I prefer to wait until I lose most of my weight (don't want to spend all the money for something that is hopefully a temporary garment). One thing that kind of works for me is to buy hip-hugger pants; the top of them hits my waist rather than my hips. But because they are hip-hugger, the top part is meant to fit the hip, and fits my waist better.

Even though I've lost weight, it's still hard finding clothes that fit properly; I had hoped for better at this point, but at least I'm smaller with the same issues rather than bigger!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I know target now has pants and jeans that are for specific shapes! I didn't look at what the other fits are, but I know that any of the target pants/bottoms with a blocky number "4" are for people with small waists and wide hips (hourglass?), so I'm sure one of the numbers is for a pear shape too!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Also an apple shape, and I just try on pants until I find a pair that fits, then buy three of them. They do make them, you just have to look harder than other people do.

Can't help you on actual brands, sadly - the last place I had really good luck was Goodwill so it was just whatever they had. I did just pick up a pair of Worthington slacks from Penney's - they're kind of cheap quality, but the right fit.

I'm going to have to try out that tailor thing - sounds like a good option.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have the same problem. Most of my extra weight is in my belly and pants do not fit right at all. I am just going to sadly wait it out. I have about 45 more pounds to go and all of it is my stupid belly. The good news is its definitely one of my major motivation factors right now.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey! What's wrong with "mom jeans?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: