Mushroom Chili

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
A different kind of chili. A thick, warming, hearty, earthy mushroom chili. I wanted to create a recipe that would be filling and satisfy those hunger pangs that creep up on cool, dreary days. This was the result.

As usual, my recipes are versatile. Add in extra beans, corn, leftover shreds of chicken or beef. However you want to make this recipe your own, please feel free to.

I used regular button mushrooms and some wonderful Shiitake mushrooms. I like pieces of tomato so I used petite diced tomatoes. If you would like your chili without the tomato chunks, just zap them in your food processor briefly. If you want your chili spicy, use one of the brands of tomatoes with seasonings and a hotter chili powder.

mc.jpg

Mushroom Chili

Ingredients:

1 TBSP. olive oil
1 shallot sliced thinly
3 or 4 baby yellow, orange or red sweet peppers diced, or 1 green or red pepper diced
1 TBSP mild chili powder (use medium or hot if you would like)
seasonings to taste (cumin, pepper, garlic, onion, salt, pepper)
4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed and sliced
8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 14 oz. can chicken broth (or homemade)
1 19 oz. can white northern beans - do not drain

Preparation:

1. In a large pot, place the oil and heat. When heated, add the shallots and peppers and saute briefly until they are softened and smell delicious. Add the chili powder and stir while it heats up. At this point you can add any seasonings you would like - cumin, garlic etc.
2. Add in your prepared mushrooms and saute until they are tender and releasing their liquid.
3. Add the tomatoes, broth, beans and adjust seasonings. Add in any extras you would like - shredded chicken, beef, corn.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring a few times. The mushrooms will cook down and your chili will thicken. If you need to, you can add more broth.

Enjoy!

Nutrition per serving: Makes about 6 servings

Calories - 110
Sugar - 4
Sodium - 734
Carbs - 18
Potassium - 491
Protein - 6

Replies