Does a lifestyle change impact dust allergies?

Options
I have terribly dust allergies. I snuffle and sneeze all day long and sometimes it is actually painful.
It's awful being that gross person.
I'm wondering if exercise and eating clean has reduced the symptoms of anyone's allergies?
I would really love to see the day that I don't have to take claratin :(

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're allergic to. If the allergy was food-related, then it might help. But eating clean and exercising won't reduce a dust allergy. Having a stronger immune system (due to eating clean and exercising) wouldn't help either, because an allergy is an irrational immune system response.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're allergic to. If the allergy was food-related, then it might help. But eating clean and exercising won't reduce a dust allergy. Having a stronger immune system (due to eating clean and exercising) wouldn't help either, because an allergy is an irrational immune system response.
    But it is also dependent on rising above a certain histamine level, so if one eliminates any food allergies that may help lower overall histamine levels...
    Not positive. I do suffer hay fever and food allergies as well.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But it is also dependent on rising above a certain histamine level, so if one eliminates any food allergies that may help lower overall histamine levels...

Yeah, but if it isn't a food allergy (which it doesn't seem to be since she said she's allergic to dust), changing food would make no difference at all.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Yeah, but if it isn't a food allergy (which it doesn't seem to be since she said she's allergic to dust), changing food would make no difference at all.
    I'm only wondering if eliminating the food allergy could lower the body's histamine level and therefore make the threshold further away for the environmental one...
    I have food and environmental allergies.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to house dust or dust mites? Food allergies can be cross reactive to either of these things.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

This is not true. Foods are frequently cross reactive for pollen/mold/insect/environmental/inhalant allergens. Most are cross reactive, only a handful are not.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have terribly dust allergies. I snuffle and sneeze all day long and sometimes it is actually painful.
    I'm wondering if exercise and eating clean has reduced the symptoms of anyone's allergies?

I feel your pain. It sucks. I wake up every morning stuffed up, sore throat, sneezing etc.. And nothing works. Ive tried every medication known to man and nothing does any good at all. Its hard for people that dont suffer from these allergies to understand but its hard to even enjoy life sometimes because all you can think about is your sore throat, itchy eyes, and how you cant breathe through your nose. Add to that trying to workout without being able to breathe right and it sucks. If claratin works for you consider yourself lucky because it does nothing for me. I wish I could tell you that eating better and exercising makes it better but it doesnt, or at least it hasnt for me.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am going to look into the cross-reactive idea. Thank you!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How much more exercise are you doing? That could have triggered something. Have you had it checked at all? I know someone who developed 'out of the blue' dust allergies. They lasted about four years and left as suddenly as they came. Could be anything. I'd get it checked out.
    xoxox grama:laugh:
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I feel your pain. It sucks. I wake up every morning stuffed up, sore throat, sneezing etc.. And nothing works. Ive tried every medication known to man and nothing does any good at all. Its hard for people that dont suffer from these allergies to understand but its hard to even enjoy life sometimes because all you can think about is your sore throat, itchy eyes, and how you cant breathe through your nose. Add to that trying to workout without being able to breathe right and it sucks. If claratin works for you consider yourself lucky because it does nothing for me. I wish I could tell you that eating better and exercising makes it better but it doesnt, or at least it hasnt for me.

Have you tried giving up all dairy? I know that for myself, when I cut out all dairy my sinus issues are far less severe.