Full Marathon

Options
As you know the NYC ING marathon is November 4th. I was wondering, how long does it take to properly train for the 26 point something race? I kinda sorta jog on the treadmill (4.0 mph), i have made it up to 9 minutes before slowing my pace to a walk (3.0)...Can it be done in a year?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be done in a year. What you need to do is build your running base up to around 30 miles per week and then around 20 weeks before the marathon start a formal training program.

Pace isn't really important right now but you should work toward running 3 to 5 times per week. Before you start the training program you also need to be able to run for an hour (more would be better).
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It can be done in a year. You might have a more pleasant experience if you wait even longer, more like building up slowly over 2 years though. But it can certainly be done.

Instead of trying to run as long as you can, you might have good luck with a walk/run program as you build up your mileage. Jeff Galloway has a lot of good walk/run programs for free on his website. You can add on mileage more easily that way, and then the speed with naturally follow as your endurance improves.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So the C25K program is a good jump off point and work my up from there?
  • sjakma402
    sjakma402 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first time I registered for the NYC Marathon, I could not even run for a mile. I was also registered for the Chicago Marathon. Joined a local running club and did a 10k training plan and after I was able to easily run 6 miles, joined the running club's Marathon 18 week training program. The plan that the running club use for beginners is Hal Higdon's first time Marathon training plan. Total training time from the 10k train through the Marathon was about 28 weeks.

More details can be found at http://www.halhigdon.com. The program got me through both Marathons and I had a blast. Since then I have run 8 marathons and one ultra. Two more ultras and a trail marathon still on the schedule for the remainder of the year.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So the C25K program is a good jump off point and work my up from there?
    Yep! That's a great one.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm about half way to a marathon myself - I've trained for them before but never made it to the starting line due to a series of unfortunate events :( This time I started with C25k, then did a bunch of 5ks and a half marathon race. Between the half and the start of training for the full (I'm doing Hal Higdon's intermediate), I've got some 5 mile races, 5ks, and a 25k. During the marathon training I've got a bunch of 5ks, 10ks, and a half, too.

You can totally do it, just keep realistic expectations, stay focused, and slowly build your miles. Find and follow a training plan (I made a spreadsheet, I've got every run planned out for about a year [tri a few months after the marathon then another half brings me to next October]) so when you're feeling down or not in the mood for a run you don't talk yourself out of some miles you need, or find yourself wondering what on earth you should do on a given day... It's all laid out. There's something super confidence building seeing the runs climb slowly, knowing you feel good this week, and can totally handle the plan.
  • chicfreak9
    Options
    How do you work through the side stitch? That is what usually halts my progress
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I saw a plan on logyourrun.com that was 40 weeks, and it took sedentary people basically from the couch to a full marathon.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am sure there is a much more informed answer to your side stitch question, but what I usually do is stop for a moment and take a few deep breaths, during which I focus on sending or forcing my breath to the cramp. I also find that the more frequently I run, the less frequently I experience side stitches.

Congratulations on the marathon commitment. It is a lot of fun! For me, finishing was about 75% mental and 25% physical. (Although, I kind of shirked on my training toward the end... All I had to hang my hat on was mental fortitude!) Best of luck with your training! Good stuff!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I trained for my half marathon for 10 weeks-yes you can do it-but I would work on your speed if I were you (intervals will help) 4.0 mph is typically a brisk walk for most.

and I would not start with a full marathon if you haven't raced in shorter distance races yet.
    You should be able to run a full 30 minutes before even considering a half or full marathon.

work your way up-you will get there

good luck
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    For the side stitch I take a deep breath through the nose and exhale quickly through the mouth a few times. I believe I read this in runner's magazine a few years ago. Usually goes away in a few of those.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10k on July 3rd this year, I made the leap to a half marathon, which I completed this past Sunday. I didn't really train for it, I did a couple long runs a week or two before the half. I was able to complete the whole thing without walking in just over 2 hours. You should be able to do it with a year of training no problem. Just keep in mind to pace yourself at something comfortable. It's not how fast you finish just that you finish.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be done. You might want to consider a 10k or 1/2 marathon first though. I've ran 3 1/2's this year and hope to run a full next spring. From what I hear though it's a huge leap from the 1/2. But if you really want it I'm sure it can happen.
  • chicfreak9
    Options
    i'm am wondering if I should find a buddy with similar goal to work on this. my current gym rat buddy cannot run (or will not). The marathon is on my bucket list and i do plan on starting small and working my way up. Please throw all your training ideas here I know I will use them