Sticking to it?!?!

Options
Does everyone honestly stick the the calories they are given? I feel it is hard to stick to 1200 calories a day. On days where I dont exercise I go over. I am not sure how many calories I was eating before I started this but it seems very hard to stick to the 1200 and not be super hungry!
How/what do yall do??

Thanks!! =D

Replies

• abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    1200 seems so low to me. Especially if you're exercising. I try to stay around 1500 or so, depending on how many calories I'm burning for the day :) For example, I'm burning 1000 cals in exercise today, so I'm gonna try to eat a third of 'em back. maybe more, bringing me up to 1600 calories for the day....
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I actually do, most of the time....

I do my best to pick healthy, low cal meals... AND when you get in your exercise, that adds calories!! So, there are your extra calories to eat :happy:
    For instance... I already ate breakfast and lunch and my workout calories were almost equal to those calories... So, it's almost like I didn't even eat (calorie-wise)...if that makes sense...
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    Yes I am sticking to them. It is hard in the beginning maybe a little, just because your stomach and mind are use to eating and getting whatever they want...hence the weight gain. ;o) I just eat smaller portions of everything now and stick to things like oatmeal for breatfast, 300 calorie meals for lunch..or around there, I eat 100calorie packs of snacks..there are so many out there now, and then for dinner I have about 600 calories or so to use. It is all about portion control usually. I have more for the day if I know I am working out...which I do everyday usually. So at the beginning of the day I decide what workout I will do and then I know what I will have. You just have to stick to it then though or you will have eaten those calories and not get the workout. If you need anymore help let me know. Goodluck to you!!! Have a good day!
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    You are suppose to try to eat your workout calories in order to lose the weight. You might now always be able to eat them all but you are suppose to try to come close. :happy:
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    1200 seems so low to me. Especially if you're exercising. I try to stay around 1500 or so, depending on how many calories I'm burning for the day :) For example, I'm burning 1000 cals in exercise today, so I'm gonna try to eat a third of 'em back. maybe more, bringing me up to 1600 calories for the day....

You are suppose to try to eat your workout calories in order to lose the weight. You might now always be able to eat them all but you are suppose to try to come close. :happy:
  • sigalat88
    Options
    When I first started counting my calories....it was very hard I am used to eating whatever I want. But I knew that I wanted to be more healthier and lose some extra weight...Now that I have been doing this for a week or so it is getting so much easier to watch my calorie intake and plus working out...I ususally work out 4 or 5 days a week and I try to buy snacks that are 100 calories and meals that are healthy. Just tell yourself you can do it.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Great accomplishments have been made by those who do follow their limits given. It's okay to go over, it's okay to go under. But aiming at the goal is best!
  • kreyssig620
    Options
    The 1200 calories is tough the first couple of weeks but when you switch to eating more fruits and vegetables you will see how much longer you will be full for! Another great snack that keeps me full is roasted almonds...1 ounce a day and they help you lose weight too! It's one of the best foods to eat when dieting. :) Good luck!
  • abbie38
    Options
    I know. Intellectually I know, but it's hard to wrap my mind around it, you know? I burn around 800-1600 or more exercise calories a day. I get nervous about eating more, even though really, I should. Does that make sense?
  • LesleyNMac
    Options
    I agree with everyone so far. 1200 / 1300 net calories per day is not difficult but the way to eat more is to do exercise. I don't think its healthy to stick to such a low calorie diet for more than about 4 weeks. Get the aerobics DVD on!! x
  • mmccurrach
    mmccurrach Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use to think 1200 would be like starving yourself until I started doing it. I think it's probably harder for us, that are more overweight to go from very large portions to small portions. There are only some days that I feel really hungry (today is one of those days) but I guess I've now trained myself to be use to this portion size.

What I tend to do is hoard my calories till the end of the day in case I'm hungry then, and then realize that it's too much to eat so I don't always make it to 1200. I'm going to be fine tuning that. The upside is that I'm losing weight but it is slow so I have to decide that I would rather wait to see the number on the scale go down the next day or so than overeat.

I should add that I'm not exercising yet so when I do start I will probably eat the calories I burn.
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    I know. Intellectually I know, but it's hard to wrap my mind around it, you know? I burn around 800-1600 or more exercise calories a day. I get nervous about eating more, even though really, I should. Does that make sense?

COMPLETELY makes sense! :happy: I understand! We are crammed with information that says eat less calories and lose weight...and yes it is true..but if you work out you have to recreate the energy (fuel) in your body...eating is that way. Doesn't make sense...but does all at the same time. ha! Goodluck!!
  • MelissaKay82
    Options
    I stick to my Calorie Goal. I know it's hard at first but, you will get used to it.!!! :happy: Good Luck!!! :smile:
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    I played around with my calorie intake. My husband and I talked about it and concluded 1200 cals isn't for everyone. I suggest doing the same. Try 1500-1700 add exercise, if you're still hungry grab a healthy snack. I lose 1.5-2lbs a week.
  • brocflores
    Options
    Wow sounds like your doing a great job!! Keep up the good work!
  • KatiesRunnersHigh
    Options
    I agree with ya. I read in a recent article, "top 10 diet foods that burn fat", number one was almonds. They're great for the metabolism, skin, hair, good cholesterol...and they keep you full longer ;).
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    I use to think 1200 would be like starving yourself until I started doing it. I think it's probably harder for us, that are more overweight to go from very large portions to small portions. There are only some days that I feel really hungry (today is one of those days) but I guess I've now trained myself to be use to this portion size.

What I tend to do is hoard my calories till the end of the day in case I'm hungry then, and then realize that it's too much to eat so I don't always make it to 1200. I'm going to be fine tuning that. The upside is that I'm losing weight but it is slow so I have to decide that I would rather wait to see the number on the scale go down the next day or so than overeat.

I should add that I'm not exercising yet so when I do start I will probably eat the calories I burn.

SLOW IS GOOD!!! They say losing it slow...A. You are more likely to keep it off...and B. You typically don't have any hanging skin problems as much!
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    Just a side note....I have been told that fish oil pills are great for a lot...including metabolism. You are better taking them at bed though from what I hear...as through the night it helps more with metabolism then. Can't hurt!
  • Marissa1006
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all you guys! I know I can do it, it is just hard when I am hungry. I am going to be exercising 4-5 times a week so it shouldnt be that hard. I know I need to give myself time to get used to it but like I said it is just hard.

I lost some weight a year ago by going to a weight loss doctor who prescribed some appetite suppresants. It worked great and I maintained my weight for a yr then the holidays came and I gained some back. I want to get down to what I was but without the pills. It was a lot easier when you felt full....duh!

Thanks again!
  • abbie38
    Options
    Prolly should be in a different post but I'm gonna add that I love raw almonds, fish oil, spinach, brazil nuts, tons of water and beans. They keep me sane when I'm hungry and keep me in check to make sure that I'm eating whole, healthy foods :)