Hungry after eating

Options
So it seems that right after I eat, i want to go on a binge and eat everything in the house! But how can I be hungry if i just ate? I know that after about 10 minutes ill feel fine. Does anyone else have this problem or know why this happens or the best way to aviod it from happening?

Replies

• brocflores
    Options
    Maybe are you waiting to long before you eat?? Sometimes that happens to me as well but its because I go forever before I actually sit down to eat and like you said I want to eat everything. You should try eating 5-6 meals a day healthy small portion meals and try to eat every 3-4 hrs. See if that works :smile:
  • Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your tummy that you are full. Drink a bunch of water before you eat to help get the message to your brain faster.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I concur with the water trick. If you can, drink 2 cups 20 mins before eating. It'll fill you up right quick. Just stay near a bathroom :)
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    OMG same thing for me.... I had breakfast @ 7am... rice cake around 11am b/c I wasn't hungry actually. Normally I do a snack around 10am... had a few almonds in b/w that and lunch which was around 1pm. I think I should start eating lunch earlier or something maybe... my thing is though if I take an earlier lunch I'm worried I'll be starving even more by the time I get home and get dinner ready. I do an afternoon snack around 3pm but by 5:30 I'm pretty much ready for another big meal... ugh! I have no idea how I USED to be able to starve myself for 8 hours at a time in my younger years!?!?! I am def. not trying to do the starvation thing anymore and I drink water to fill me but still doesn't seem to satiate me enough?! Aggravating!!! :-O
  • mapage
    Options
    For me, it's about what I eat... They roughly have the same # of calories, but after eating an apple I'm ravenous, while a single egg satisfies. My wife, however, can be satisfied with an apple. Different body chemistries, I guess.

I second the 'drink a lot of water' comment.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? High Fructose Corn Syrup, refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, and even refined white flour can make you feel hungrier even after eating your fill. evil big food empire wins if you eat more, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Eat some fiber and drink lots of water before going to eat. Avoid HFCS like it's the swine flu (and other refined and artificial sweeteners like they are the regular flu) and you should see a difference.
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    It takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your tummy that you are full. Drink a bunch of water before you eat to help get the message to your brain faster.

i totally agree with this i do it bout 10minutes before eatin and i fine i eat less and dont crave anymore food after good luck :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There's probably several reasons why this happens.

1. It takes 20 minutes for the full signal to register in your brain
    2. You're used to larger meals, or you haven't eaten enough
    3. Blood sugar spikes after eating- I always crave sweets immediately after eating

(There could be other reasons too)

Consider having a fiber drink (like Metamucil) before your meals. I've been doing this lately, particularly if I'm having a light meal, and it really helps me feel full.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    This is going to sound silly.... Savor your food. We're always rush, rush, rush... grabbing food while we're on the go. multitasking, Try eating slowly. Drink water in between bites. If possible calm down a bit before you begin eating. This really works for me.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    See today I had a tuna sandwich, which was made up of two slices toasted wieght watchers whole wheat bread (90 calories) and 1 can of tuna, nothing added (100 calories). I just started eating 5 smaller meals a day so Im thinking that its just becuase my body is so used to eating till its full. When I started eating I wasnt starving either, just ready to have another meal so that I wont be starving for dinner.

Thanks for all the advice! I love that I can ask a question and BAM! answers... Love you guys :heart:

By the way. Ive been sippin water and its been about 30 minutes since I posted, and Im not hungry. My daughter is eating french fries(baked) right next to me and im not tempted at all to eat one.