diet sodas

ambee0803
ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I was buying diet sodas for myself and regular ones for my boyfriend. He told me that I was better off drinking regular ones because the diet soda makes your body hold onto fat. Is that true or is he full of it?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Depends on who you talk to. Google it and see what you find.

Regular soda = lots of calories.
    New "throwback sodas" = "real sugar", supposedly not as bad as fake sugar in today's sodas, but HIGH in calories
    Diet sodas = no calories... but what in the world is in there that makes them taste so good if there are no calories???

I drink diet sodas. About 2 a day.

My best friend swears that sodas cause tummy bloat (being her own test case and proof). I've not given up sodas long enough to tell a difference in lower tummy bloat.
  • Your better off not drinking either... my doctor told me to stay away from diet.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    from my understanding is that diet soda is bad due to artificial sweeteners (chemicals) and they still make you crave snacks that typically help people gain weight, but they don't stop your body from burning fat.
  • ambee0803
    I'm trying to stick to only 1 a day anyway. I cant give them up completly just yet. Im proud of myself though I was drinking 4-5 a day.
  • I don't think he knows what he's talking about. lol. =) ALL soda has sodium in it which can make your body retain water and feel bloated. My advice would be to skip the soda altogether and go for some water instead, but if you don't want to do that, diet soda is completely acceptable and isn't going to sabotage your weight loss.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    stick with water or sparkling mineral water with NATURAL flavor...

With me, now I only drink water or sparkling water (trader Joes brand). I'll have a diet on occasion (out to eat or something) and it tastes weird and wayyyyy too sweet.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    from my understanding is that diet soda is bad due to artificial sweeteners (chemicals) and they still make you crave snacks that typically help people gain weight, but they don't stop your body from burning fat.

exactly and you will feel like you can indulge yourself more becuase well i had a DIET soda, so you will actually not only snack but likely snack more. Take ownership and drink the 160 calories in the regular soda. Cuz really you will only be fooling yourself if you think that diet soda is good or even really better for you than regular. neither are good, but own that and drink the regular soda.
  • I usd to drink diet pepsi but was able to quit not easy. but The reason I quit was because i found out that the carbonation robs the bones.. And so to my good bone health. I also heard that it makes you crave sugar even more so tendency to binge is high. You should try 4c ice tea mixers with splenda in it.. I love this stuff and take it every where.. let me know what you think.. good luck good job on the weight loss.. mine is slow but steady...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Soda is just bad in general. If you need a fizzy pop pop to drink, spring for mineral water & add some real fruit juice to it like a squeeze of lemon or lime
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    I was never a soda drinker but now I drink sparkling water and love it. It's just the break from drinking just water all the time that is good for me. I like that most have no calories, sugar, or sodium. Try Talking Rain Mint Mojito, sooo good!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    At my worst, I was drinking 4-5 sodas a day, and in hindsight (always being 20-20) I realize that drinking 1 soda is what made me crave more and stress made it worse. :mad: I could never drink diet soda because I could taste the artificial sweeteners and hate that taste (guess it's an acquired taste lol). :sick: When I started on MFP I went cold turkey on soda and upped my water intake at the same time (minimum of 8 8-oz glasses a day), and wouldn't you know it but my cravings immediately stopped!

I haven't had a single soda (with the except of a sip of my husband's on Superbowl Sunday) in 45 days and I haven't missed them at all! :bigsmile:

I prefer water as the drink of choice now and if I crave something sweet I'll get a crystal light (or walmart brand) water flavoring packet and use that. Fruit Punch is the best!! Occassionally I'll treat myself to 100% natural apple juice or skim milk but water all the way! :happy:
  • My trainer said STAY AWAY FROM DIET SODA. Drink water, water, water, water!!! If you need to add flavor you can, or even drink all natural juices or milk. But soda is soda and it's not good for you, calories or not. You can also brew tea/iced tea once in a while if you want something more - it has no calories without all the artificial junk.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    If you must have a soda, how about a Natural one....

http://zevia.com/

I used this in the diet coke cake recipe cuz I didn't want all the art sweetners. It's pretty pricey, (almost a dollar a can) but it's all natural...

Hope this helps!!!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Plus, artificial sweeteners are starting to be linked to fatty liver disease. Not good. I gave up soda totally over a month ago, cold turkey and I don't miss it at all.
  • ambee0803
    At my worst, I was drinking 4-5 sodas a day, and in hindsight (always being 20-20) I realize that drinking 1 soda is what made me crave more and stress made it worse. :mad: I could never drink diet soda because I could taste the artificial sweeteners and hate that taste (guess it's an acquired taste lol). :sick: When I started on MFP I went cold turkey on soda and upped my water intake at the same time (minimum of 8 8-oz glasses a day), and wouldn't you know it but my cravings immediately stopped!

Did you get headaches? If I dont have some caffiene I get horrible headaches. Thats one of the biggest reasons I havent stopped drinking them all together
  • studies have been coming out that show that diet soda doesn't really help you lose weight. your body tastes sweet but then receives no calories, so it freaks out and people who drink it can actually end up gaining weight. i'd agree with the above and say just stay away from soda in general. i used to drink 3-5 diet sodas a day, and just stopped (i gave up artifical sweeteners, and i would never go near a regular soda because it's so much sugar) and drink water instead- i don't even miss it!

i did get headaches when i stop but they go away- i think it's just toxins in your body and once you've flushed your system you'll be fine. i used to drink coffee every morning and soda throughout the day so the first 2 days or so without any caffeine were rough, but now it's totally fine!
  • Ok, so diet soda is bad for you for many reasons, but the loosing fat stuff it total BS. I lost 87 pounds in total and I was drinking 8- 10 cans of diet pepsi a day. I have since cut it out because I am trying to get away from all the chemicals, but in truth, it will not hurt your weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.