Just got engaged! Worried about ring :(

Options
My boyfriend proposed to me last week (most exciting thing EVER) and he's bought me the most beautiful ring. It's 18K gold with a cluster of diamonds on the top and diamonds down the shoulders.

DSCN2149a.jpg

The ring is actually too big but when I went to get it re-sized, the jeweller said that they would be worried about re-sizing it as they didn't want to risk unsetting the diamonds from the shoulders. They said that instead, they would order me one in in the correct size free of charge.

My only concern is that I cannot decide what size to have my ring go down to! Currently the ring is an N, but my finger is about an L.5/M, but I'm worried that if I lose weight, it'll end up being too big again. And then what if I put on weight (if I get pregnant or something)? I don't want it to be too small!

Argh!! I just cannot decide what to do. Any advice?

Replies

• Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    My engagement ring is a little big (probably 1 size) but has been ok through weight gain & numerous pregnancies - my advice get the ring to fit you now and if it gets to big in the future then you can wear a plastic insert at the back or wear a smaller ring above it (i.e.an eternity ring) :happy:
  • Gennacy
    Gennacy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement.

I had a new engagement ring about 2 years ago, and it was a tiny bit big then, now i am losing weight it is falling off. I am using a plastic insert at the moment to keep it in place until his lordship decides to buy me an eternity ring (although i'm not holding out any hope, 15 years and 4 kids later ...)

You can always do the same, or keep it on a chain around your neck if you decide to go for a smaller version?

Good luck :)
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Once you're married your wedding ring that will be easily able to be adjusted will hold it on for you :D
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained so much weight in the 11 years I've been married that I've stopped getting it resized and stopped wearing my rings. I think you can get a plastic insert instead of having to get it resized.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's a difficult one: my partner popped the question to me about a year ago, and after loosing a good 40 pounds it barely fits on my finger anymore. In fact if I wash my hands I have to be VERY careful about drying them as if I flick my fingers slightly the soap causes my ring to go flying. So, if you have quite a bit of weight to lose, you could well lose it in your fingers.

What I would suggest is to get it fitted to you now (perhaps a tiny bit on the smaller side), and then if it doesn't fit in a years time there's a number of options you could go with - alongside Tebbspcad's options, there's always the chance to wear it on a necklace around your neck. I intend to get a 'flashier' ring for my wedding ring and wear that around my neck when I'm finally working.

Personally, I'm quite lucky, due to doing a lot of work experience with animals at the moment I couldn't have anything flashy- so I've got a plain white gold band which can be resized, but it's a difficult decision! I am still umm'ing and ahh'ing over when to get mine resized.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement!!! You should get it to fit you now -- and then if you need to get it sized to fit your new healthier body later so be it. I'm sure your jeweler is just making the best decision for now, but down the road, they will be able to resize, probably not quite as easily. Your fiancee did a great job by the way--- gorgeous ring!! Enjoy this magical time.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL i have gone through umm 2 wedding rings now(going up many sizes!!!) :noway: and through 3 engagement/eternity rings :huh: and then i lost (8stone) 100lbs last yr and so i bought me and hubby a nice set of matching wedding rings on our 20th anniversery ,it is slightly loose now as i have lost another 60 lb! so when i hit 11 1 /2 stone he's gonna sell all my old ones and buy me one really nice eternity ring with super big diamonds in :happy:
    probally does not help you but hey :flowerforyou:
    if you have weight to lose now i would get your ring a LITTLE tight OR if you want to play it safe...get it slightly losse and put the wedding ring over to hold it!! lol
    OR if you look on ebay rings that are slightly too big you can get a little plastic thing that sits on the back of it to stop you loosing it! :bigsmile:
    hope it helps and gratz x :flowerforyou:
  • veobrien
    veobrien Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations to you both.

Long term, if you're ring does end up a little big, it'll could always be held in place by the wedding band. Choosing a plainer band, by the way, will mean you can get it resized more easily. Plus, being a little big means it should still fit when you get pregnant. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the pregnancy thing. It wouldn't be that long to remove it in the grand scheme of things and nobody would even notice because they'll be too busy fussing over your bump!

I would get whatever size fits you comfortably now. Firstly, you'll be showing it off a lot over the coming months so I doubt you want size issues taking some of the fun out of that. Secondly, too big and you risk losing it.( I lost my wedding ring in a bag of leaves I was raking up once, and a ball pit! Found it both times fortunately!) Too small and it's hard to remove when you need to (painting, gardening etc)

Finally, I don't know how much weight you're planning to lose but I'm two stone lighter than when I got engaged and my ring fits fine and has never been adjusted! (my wedding ring is the next size up for some bizarre reason!)

Edited to say... PS. That's a gorgeous ring!
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've been so helpful!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, what a beautiful ring. Unless you have ubber chubby fingers, I wouldn't get too small, your finger size doesn't change that much. I have a friend who has put on quite a bit of weight in the 16yrs she has been married and can still comfortably wear her engagement ring, and as everyone says, if it does get a little bit big, then its a good excuse for an eternity ring, lol! Also a plainer wedding band would suit that gorgeous bling, which like everyone says is easier to get adjusted

When I was pregnant with my eldest, I had a lot of problems with fluid retention and towards the end of the pregnancy gradually went from wearing my 3 rings (wedding, engagement and eternity) to nothing but my hands eventually went back to normal.

Congrats again tho and best wishes for the future :flowerforyou:
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've got a small frame, and have lost about a ring size with age and 20 pounds of weightloss (1.43 stone; 9 kg).

My engagement ring easily falls off my finger now, and I haven't worn it in a while (I might get it re-sized eventually). I bought a new wedding band

I'd go for smaller with a tight fit than larger with an easy fit.
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congrazzles!

I prefer to get a ring that fits a little snug, because my fingers constrict when I'm cold and I don't want them to fall off and become lost. Then you can wear it around your neck on a chain if you're pregnant or gain weight, and it's kind of incentive to lose.
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My ring was about half a size too big to begin with so it was a tiny bit loose but not enough that I was worried about it. I've lost almost 20lbs now and it's much looser. It spins around and is really easy too get on and off. Not quite big enough to slide right off, but it's getting there. I'm thinking about getting it sized down a half of full size just to be sure. But others have a good point.. a wedding ring sauldered (sp?) to it would help. I share the worry though that if I size it down too much, I won't be able to wear it if I gain weight or during pregnancy. I think as long as you don't resize it so it's super snug, it should be fine. Hands change with the weather too so that's another reason mine is so loose right now. Just another thing to keep in mind.
  • ajsmommy2010
    Options
    Congrats! I have recently lost 30 lbs and my wedding ring was way to big. It was so loose it would just fall off. I took it in to get it resized and I went down from a 6 to a 5. It fits a little snug but I plan loosing more weight so it should be a problem in the future :-)