Chicken woes

Options
So, chicken has so many different listings, I'm not sure which is accurate. I know it changes depending on how it is cooked, but some of the calorie counts seem pretty out there. Suggestions?

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The skin is full of fat, so if you can do not eat it as it will save you calories. Instead of just entering chicken, try roast chicken, or go further and try roast chicken breast. sometimes the more info you give eg chicken roll, processed it should come up with alternatives you can use. After that I am afraid is is probably still guess work. Hope this helps.
  • porkhunt
    Options
    I agree.. The variance in entries in skinless chicken breast for say 200 grams is crazy.. Then you feel guilty if you hunt for the lowest one you can find ;)
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try to stick with the entries that MFP has entered, not the ones put in by users (the ones with the asterisk), then pick the one that describes how you prepared it the best. I usually just use either the raw or cooked/roasted ones and then add in any other oils or sauces I added in prep as a separate diary entry.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I agree.. The variance in entries in skinless chicken breast for say 200 grams is crazy.. Then you feel guilty if you hunt for the lowest one you can find ;)
    I always feel guilty if I do that, which is why I always pick the highest, just in case!
  • juliea344
    juliea344 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    White meat chicken cooked without added fat and without the skin should be about 100 calories per ounce. You could double check the diabetic exchange lists when you are in doubt.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00074
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I google, and look at other sites to triple check! I do this with a few foods to be sure :)
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It also makes a difference if the calories are entered for meat pre-cooked or post cooked. 3 oz of pre-cooked will show less calories than 3 oz of cooked meat because of the water lost during cooking.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I always use raw weights as it's the most accurate and double-check on other sites if there are any which vary. I also check the pack to see if there's any nutritional information on there.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i buy boneless skinless chicken breast only when i buy chicken . i usually bake it or grill it so i go by that category