Night away....

Options
Hi,

My fiance and I are off to Edinburgh for an overnight stay tomorrow. Weve got a voucher for a resturant that isnt a chain....it's also for 3 courses (and a strawberry belini!)....I've been doing this for 12 days now and would like to have the treat as its not the type of thing we get to do often with having kids....

There was also be the hotel breakfast in the morning....I've decided I'll use the gym prior to that and try get loads of exercise calories so that I can enjoy it and I think it will be quite easy to log.

I dont know what to do about the evening meal though......there's no way I'll be able to sit and guess portion sizes and all the different ingredients. Should I still try my best to log it? even though I'll be way over.....or should I take this as a 'cheat day' and not log?

What do you guys do?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of restauarnt - if it's a "pile it high!" type place, then watch your portion size. But most UK restauarants these days serve a reasonable sized plate .

I would - eat what ever you like, enjoy every mouthfull, put in a "quick add" of 1,000 calories, and make the most of your weekend away with your fiance.
  • nikteazer2
    nikteazer2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Treat it as a cheat day...it'll do you good mentally so long as you know you will be back on the wagon the next day it won't do you harm! Go and enjoy yourself!! :bigsmile:
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Im away with work alot and this is what i do in exactly that scenario:

gym in the evening before dinner to earn some calories for it. I choose a fish or lean meat course. I usually pick a light starter salad or bruschetta and just have the tomato and onion but leave the bread part! I normally have what desert I want as i have a sweet tooth.

At the breakfast bar they will also have cereals, dried fruits etc. I have a slice of wholemeal toast and a bowl of specal K with raisins on top. If i wanted something hot i'd have scrambled egg on wholemeal.

My last week long trip I lost 2lbs but mostly when im working away I maintain. If you can maintain and have a good time then surely thats a win.

Skip the OJ at breakfast and skip the wine/beer in the evening. Have Whiskey or Vodka (with diet coke if you want) for a total of 70 calories per drink.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. Only you have the power to eat reasonably portioned food that may not fit your diet today, and be back on track tomorrow. You'll regret restricting your weekend more than that 1 day of relaxation. Just call it a reward for starting this journey and holding strong for 12 days. Motivate yourself to have another 12 good days after the weekend!

Enjoy!
  • LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A quick add of 1000 cals is a good idea.

It'll be starter, main course and dessert, its local cuisine, so no doubt there will be loads of scottish stuff in there Haggis, Black pudding ect.

I need to not stress and just enjoy myself....it'll be a long time before I get to do something like this again.

I think i'll stick to the diet juice during the meal (except for the Bellini!)....were going to a concert afterwards so I'll go on the vodka and diet coke.

I'll burn some calories tomorrow morning....then the morning we wake up in the hotel, I'll use the gym before breakfast and weather permitting, were hoping to go a walk around the hotel grounds, they have a golf course so there should be loads of room to wander.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself! My husband and I are going away for our anniversary next month and it'll be the first weekend away without our son. I'm going to live it up!
  • MrsNANSEE
    Options
    I would be honest with myself and try and guestimate the calories.Even if its way over it will give me an idea and then i could balance it throughout the week.Try and eat loads of veg or salad with your meal and plenty of water.Breakfast try and go for porridge,with dried fruits (its scotland they are bound to have porridge LOL).This is what i would do,but i am scared of falling off the wagon so i am totally focused on nights out etc.I wont drink alcohol because then i will be dehydrated the day after and i will hold onto water.This is about a life style change and how we should think about everything that goes in our mouths.I have to add,that i am totally obsessed with what goes into my mouth.And how many cals etc but thats just me xxx

Hope you enjoy your weekend