HRM

Options
I'm new here and I haven't posted anything before so I'm not really sure how this works!

I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burned. Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried to do some research on my own but it seems like there are so many out there and it's hard to tell what is going to work. Also, does anyone have experience with the ones with a chest strap. I'm worried that maybe the chest strap won't fit me. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Michelle

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing alot of research the last couple of days on this as well

Im going with the polar RS 100...they have it here for $89 and I think I will love it.

All of the machines at my gym are polar compatible as well, so that will help me out as well.

They have some cheaper ones, also ones that are off brands, and Im sure they will work just as well, but this one has great review from amazon and the multi-functionality of all the machines at my gym make it a good choice
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong a Polar unit. They were making HRMs before they were a popular, and they're reliable.

If you want to track calories, then you HAVE TOO get one that has the chest strap, otherwise, your cal count won't be accurate. I use to weigh 270 lbs with a 54 in chest and the Polar T31(usually the strap that comes with their monitors) strap still fit fine.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have IGYM, I got at academy sports. (it was pretty cheap, $45) It has a chest strap, I worried that the strap would be a problem but it is not! Seems to work great, I can not even tell I have it on while working out. (it is adjustable) I bought it just to try it out, and eventually I plan to get a better one....but it has served it purpose for sure so I may stick with it.
    Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a fancy Polar FT60 with GPS unit. I had an issue early on with the unit and phone support had real people, were helpful and kind. I ended up having to send the unit under warrenty and they replaced it with no hassle.

When you look for a unit with a chest strap, you want to make sure it is coded. If it is not you could get interference from other HRM. Polar chest straps are also soft, comfortable and are machine washable.

Good Luck.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I also have the FT60. I got it about two weeks ago and I love love it! Going to get the Foot Pod for when I start running again so I can track distance/speed but it's an awesome HRM. It costs around $200, but it seems to be well worth it (at least for me). I echo what everyone else has said, a chest strap is critical...otherwise your HRM is not going to be that accurate.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i have the polar f6 and lots of ppl recommend it. I like it so far and it keeps track of my exercises and everyweek gives me a summary of time of exercise and cals burnt. so thats definately a plus.

i believe the chest straps are vital and I think they are sold in different sizes too so no worries.
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    just bought mine at lunch

polar rs100
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options

polar rs100

Just bought mine on Amazon Polar F7!! YI TEE TEE!!! So excited!
  • T_R_A_V
    Options

polar rs100

Just bought mine on Amazon Polar F7!! YI TEE TEE!!! So excited!

heck yeah....i am gonna open it as soon as i get home
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I bought the New Balance watch HRM (susan g comen for the cure) one yesterday at target, its 10% off so I paid just under 50 for it. I am trying to decide if i'm going to keep it or return it. It does not have a strap and it has you test your heart rate periodically while you are exercizing. How does that work? I usually either walk or do Wii active or fit plus. Any info would be gladly appriciated!!
  • pinkhockymom
    pinkhockymom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline Duo with the chest strap. I love it!! I also worried about the strap fitting, but it has lots of room! I could not do this with out it!:wink: Good luck to you!:wink:
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    I bought the New Balance watch HRM (susan g comen for the cure) one yesterday at target, its 10% off so I paid just under 50 for it. I am trying to decide if i'm going to keep it or return it. It does not have a strap and it has you test your heart rate periodically while you are exercizing. How does that work? I usually either walk or do Wii active or fit plus. Any info would be gladly appriciated!!

I think you have to touch it with your finger and hold it for it to read....I might be wrong...i think u need the chest strap for a good reading
  • Chenoachem
    Options

I think you have to touch it with your finger and hold it for it to read....I might be wrong...i think u need the chest strap for a good reading

A chest strap version is far more accurate as it is a continous measurment, not periodic.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

a chest strap gives ur continuous reading without u having to do anything, ones without require u to push the button EACH time you want a heart rate reading and if I'm not mistaken this skews the end result of how many cals u've burnt
  • inspiration78
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's input. I truly appreciate it! I know I want to get a good one. I just wanted to get feedback from people who have used them so that I can make a good decision. If I'm going to spend the money I want it to be worth it! Thanks again!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I have heard that on some of the Polar's you cannot change the battery yourself? Which one is it that you can?
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I have heard that on some of the Polar's you cannot change the battery yourself? Which one is it that you can?

The polar f series you can't but the polar FT series you can. I don't know about the rs series. Polar has a really good website explaining it though.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've got a polar f6 and can't change the battery. It's not a big deal as far as the watch is concerned (I can take it to a jewelry store and have them do it for me. I'm not worried about the seal because I don't wear mine in the water anyway) but it annoys me that I can't change the battery in my chest strap. So, I'm going to be buying myself a wearlink chest strap, which DOES have a user-changable battery.

My next HRM will definitely be a Polar, but will probably not be the F6 (just because of the battery issues).
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the F7 you can also change the battery. I could be wrong.
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    Thanks, I'm actually heading back to return the one I bought yesterday. :)