No calories earnt when strentgh exercises are added

Options
Does any one know why exactly it doesn't give you extra calories when you perform strangth exercises?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Add "strength training" in the cardio section for calories burned.
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it isn't considered cardiovascular exercise. You can add an entry in the cardiovascular section and put in how much time you spend weight training and it will give you calories.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Add "strength training" in the cardio section for calories burned.
    That's what I do. I only use the strength training section to keep track of the weight/sets/reps I do.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Be honest though...only add the time you are actually doing the "work" and not all your time. Unless you're bangin something like P90X or Crossfit where you are working almost every second, don't cheat and count all the rest time between sets.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I've been wondering that too. Thanks!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't have time right now to look up a really great post about this, but I'll try to do that tonight. I can't quote exactly what it says, but the general gist is that strength training WHILE you're doing the exercise is not the part that burns the most calories. It is the recovery, rebuilding process AFTER the exercise is finished. It's a whole different metabolic senario than cardio training, and that makes it difficult to figure out how many calories are burned.

Try searching (click "Search" above the OP) for strength training. That should bring up some really good topics about this very subject!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I thought i'd mention that I use a heart rate monitor when lifting. I log these calories. MFP always underestimates the calories, even if I use total gym time.
  • Dburroughs
    Options
    Guys, thanks for all helpfull posts, really appriciate it!

cheers

Dean