Does a "good" weigh-in motivate you or demotivate you?

Options
For me, it's a signal to keep digging; it fills me with energy and purpose. You?

Replies

• summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely motivates. Especially after the weigh ins when the scale number wont move for money or love. Seeing the number get closer to your goal number is the ultimate motivator.
  • Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It makes me feel like this is worth it! Hard work pays off. BUT i have made myself feel the same about a bad weigh in too. Which for me is what makes this time different! I don't let anything derail me this time!~

25851322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bonitacubana
    Options
    absolutely motivates! But I will say that im an emotional eater so when im super happy about losing 15 lbs and my clothes are looking so good on me I have a tendency to allow for bad behavior regarding food and exercise. Eeek!
  • bonitacubana
    Options
    Absolutely! It makes me feel like this is worth it! Hard work pays off. BUT i have made myself feel the same about a bad weigh in too. Which for me is what makes this time different! I don't let anything derail me this time!~

25851322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

thats a really great way to look at it, I never thought of that! thanks!
  • crgrady7367
    Options
    It sure seems to motivate me because when I see those numbers come down, I feel better about myself, especially when my clothes are beginning to feel a little looser on me!
  • amyloooo
    amyloooo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As usual when I have a question, this community reflects my feelings about things -- ALL of them, even the contradictory impulses! I also gratify myself when things are going well, and redouble efforts (but with a slightly different attitude) when the scale reports bad news...
  • erindh87
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning every day, so I see a lot of fluctuation from day to day. For example, this week I've been weighing around 154.4 - 153.6. Today, I weighed in at 150.0! Super exciting!!! It's likely just water weight fluctution, and I fully expect to go back up around 153. However, I find that it is VERY motiviating to see a new lower number on the scale even if it doesn't stay. I've learned that for me, it usually means that I'll see it again in a few weeks if I stay on track.

On "Bad" days, I just tell myself to keep doing what I'm doing because I know it works. It'll eventually be a "good" day again. I try to use those more negative feelings as a reminder of why I'm doing this in the first place...to get healthier and feel better about myself.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Motivates, especially if I've had slip ups recently. For example I had a bingey weekend and still managed to lose half a pound this week. It lets me know that it's ok to be compassionate with myself when I deviate from my plan and that the world will not end if I eat lasanga and tomato pie back to back.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's incredibly motivating but having a 'bad' weigh-in where I put on or don't lose doesn't de-motivate me, it just makes me want to work harder. The scales tell one story but I also measure once every 6 weeks and I find that to be super helpful.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A good weigh-in motivates me. Of course, so does a bad weigh-in. With weigh-ins, I either know to keep doing what I'm doing, or reverse a bad day.
  • TXRedDirt
    TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's a BIG motivation for me. Helps me not slip, because I worked to hard to see those numbers!
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    Oh I like it when the scale moves towards my goal!!
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's very motivating for me!!! To add to that, I just started MFP a month or so ago, so up until a little while ago it only showed a 7 lb weight loss (which is still awesome). But my sister just told me I could update past weigh-ins to show my total progress. Well, seeing a 34 lb weigh loss is the most motivating thing so far! Progress is by far the best motivator!
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's very motivating for me!!! To add to that, I just started MFP a month or so ago, so up until a little while ago it only showed a 7 lb weight loss (which is still awesome). But my sister just told me I could update past weigh-ins to show my total progress. Well, seeing a 34 lb weigh loss is the most motivating thing so far! Progress is by far the best motivator!

Your welcome sis! Seeing the weight loss is a big motivator, being a competitive person I want to work harder to see that number to go up (especially higher than my sisters), a little healthy competition.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel motivated, but then the loss makes me lose focus. I indulge and then feel bad about it. Definitely a vicious cycle for me, but I'm very proud of my progress...just need to tighten it up a bit.