no energy since I moderate my sugar intake

Options
Hi,
I've always ingested HUGE amount of non-natural sugars. I'm trying to control my sugar intake but since I dropped ice cream and daily coca cola etc I feel sooooo tired. Could it be related or is it just coincidence?

Replies

• jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It could have something to do with the caffeine in the coca cola. Maybe try to drink tea or some other caffeinated drink that contains a less sugar.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Well considering you rarely log in your diary over the past 2 weeks It's pretty hard to tell. You don't seem to eat BUT from what I have seen its not much, and even less of it is 'real' food. You have been using your sugary drinks as your only source of energy and now that you are no longer having them and not replacing them with an alternate healthier source you are crashing.
  • aprilodell1
    Options
    Your body may be detoxing from having had it and now not having it. I would make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet, that really should keep you going through the day, instead of quick fixes like sugar, which always just boosts you up for a shorter period of time and then has you drop suddenly. Do you eat a high protein breakfast.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Not that much protein for breakfast no. Unless I eat eggs or a Carnation breakfast shake.

As for not loggin the past two week, I've started to really log all I ate since Monday, so yeah. That's all there is in my diary. A week.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I second the caffeine. I tried giving up soda cold turkey, with no caffeine at all. Failed miserably. Had a 4 day long migraine. It wasn't pretty. About a month and a half ago I decided to try again, but this time I bought tea. Loooooooooooots of tea. Just plain old Lipton natural tea. 0 calories, 0 sugar, and enough caffeine to get me off the dreaded soda. Worked like a charm. We had a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper in the house when I made the switch, and it is still sitting here untouched by me. If you like tea, I say give it a try. You can do a lot with a plain old box of tea. Best of luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If the removal of sugar also pushed your carb or calorie intake quite low, this could cause you some nasty energy/fatigue issues.

First step would be to track your intake.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein and give it a couple weeks. I was a wreck when I gave up soda! But after a couple weeks I couldn't believe how much better I felt.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    try green tea or for the really bad energy days, green tea pills. I use them on heavy workout days when i know i will need a lot of energy but i only take 1 pill and it seems to last me about 6 hours.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    If you're just moderating sugar and not caffeine I would look at GNC for some type of energy supplement. It helped me get over the not having a soda every day hump way back when.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You have two days this week where you ate close or under 1000 calories...

It isn't the protein, it isn't carbo.

It's that you don't eat enough. Period.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Did you replace the calories with something else. Cutting back on sugar is a great idea, I need to do that myself, just make sure that you're not suddenly coming way under your caloric goal as that will seep your energy.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    You have two days this week where you ate close or under 1000 calories...

It isn't the protein, it isn't carbo.

It's that you don't eat enough. Period.

I just didn't log my dinner those 2 days
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    B vitamins like vitamin B6 and B12 will increase your energy.
  • laurapariseau
    laurapariseau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    don't forget to add healthy carbs like whole grains and fresh fruit into your plan. Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice, potatoes with skin, sweet potatoes, apples, oranges, strawberries, etc. These have low glycemic index numbers so they won't spike your blood sugar, but they will keep the energy in your brain and body going.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've always ingested HUGE amount of non-natural sugars. I'm trying to control my sugar intake but since I dropped ice cream and daily coca cola etc I feel sooooo tired. Could it be related or is it just coincidence?
    Of course it's not coincidence. You didn't mention when you stopped the sugar. It takes us several days to switch out sugar for other fuels.
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I found for me, as I scaled the sugar intake back, that it took me close to six weeks to kick around... the body is used to the rush of sugar, and then it had to readjust.... I am now off of soda for three months, and after reading about what goes into it.... I wont be going back..... keep up the fight, we need to take baby steps to health, and it sometimes takes a while for our bodies to adjust. Keep eating healthy, it will kick over.
  • af1angell0325
    Options
    It is definitely partly the caffeine. I'm trying to cut out soda completely too and the caffeine is what is killing me because I was drinking diet/zero sodas since I'm diabetic. I'm not a fan of tea but I'm forcing myself to have some on the really bad days (it's only been about 2 weeks so I'm still having caffeine withdrawal).
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    try green tea or for the really bad energy days, green tea pills. I use them on heavy workout days when i know i will need a lot of energy but i only take 1 pill and it seems to last me about 6 hours.

green tea pills?! I must get some of these wonderous things
  • CherryOnionKiss
    Options
    I've only started cutting back since monday. I caved in today and had a coffee. I have no idea how I walked to work. I think I sleptwalk. :tongue: