Shoes

Options
I am looking to get some shoes to workout in.
Just wondering about good brands.

Replies

• PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There are shoes made specifically for walking, but if you're doing other stuff, you may want cross-trainers. I'm sure all the major brands have decent shoes.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about walking and plan to do a lot of it, I would recommend getting fitted at a running specialty store. They will determine your gait and foot strike so you get the best shoe for YOUR foot. You can get shoes at a sporting goods store (like D*ck's) or a department store, but they may not be the right shoe and could cause you pain or problems.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about walking and plan to do a lot of it, I would recommend getting fitted at a running specialty store. They will determine your gait and foot strike so you get the best shoe for YOUR foot. You can get shoes at a sporting goods store (like D*ck's) or a department store, but they may not be the right shoe and could cause you pain or problems.

I didn't even know there was such a store! thanks. I will have to look into that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I didn't even know there was such a store! thanks. I will have to look into that.

You're welcome! Just google "running specialty store near ______ (insert your town name here)" and it should give you some options. Depending on your location, you may have to drive a little bit, but I promise that it's worth it.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on your workouts. I have 3 prs of tennis shoes: my old new balance (3 yrs old) are beat up and lack cushion. They are for push mowing the grass or any dirty work. I have a $30 pair of Ryka tennis shoes from Shoe Carnival that started as my beginner running shoes. Now I use them for my cardio workouts, hiking, shopping, and anything in general where I'm on my feet. My newest pair was my gift to myself after finishing my first 5k: a fitted pair of Saucony from Runners Forum. They were around $100 and are designed for runners who roll their ankle outward (high arches). I don't dare use them for anything but running and my 5k events, but they are the most comfy pair of tennis shoes ever!!!
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

You're welcome! Just google "running specialty store near ______ (insert your town name here)" and it should give you some options. Depending on your location, you may have to drive a little bit, but I promise that it's worth it.
    Totally agree!
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    New Balance seem to fit me best but definitely look into a speciality store. Here the best places (and not at all more expensive than the Mall stores) are two places that sponsor a lot of the local runs and the running clubs frequent. I am NOT a runner but they really good with folks like me who never really know what to look for!!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I second the Saucony's! The most comfortable shoes I have ever had. I am on my third pair now. =)
  • Leavingthecity
    Options
    I would definitely get fitted for shoes! I ran last year, did a 5k and stopped running. This year I started again, but got fitted for shoes after I started to experience pain along the outside of my knee. New shoes that were meant for my feet and the way I move made it disappear instantaneously. They're a great investment.
  • kristengraham
    kristengraham Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I recently got fitted for running shoes... best decision I ever made! And I learned a lot about my feet... including the fact that I was buy the wrong size! They had to order mine... I can't wait. As walked all through the store in them... it was like walking on a cloud! Brooks Dyad 7 :)
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed the Vibram Five Finger trend that is going on at gyms? They ride that line of looking pretty cool, but still a bit too weird to try out myself. Especially when you see people trying to follow the recommended gate of touching your toes first to stride instead of heel first. Some of them look comfortable though.

http://www.amazon.com/Vibram-FiveFingers-KomodoSport-Athletic-Shoes/dp/B006VBUG1K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350670126&sr=8-3&keywords=Vibram+Five+Fingers
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Has anyone noticed the Vibram Five Finger trend that is going on at gyms? They ride that line of looking pretty cool, but still a bit too weird to try out myself. Especially when you see people trying to follow the recommended gate of touching your toes first to stride instead of heel first. Some of them look comfortable though.

http://www.amazon.com/Vibram-FiveFingers-KomodoSport-Athletic-Shoes/dp/B006VBUG1K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350670126&sr=8-3&keywords=Vibram+Five+Fingers

You get pretty bad blisters in them for the first while, but they are designed to help you run like humans were meant to. (toe-heel, not heel-toe). Personally would recommend nike free's though.