Too much fruit?

Options
I turned my sugar count off because I am always over what MFP gives me but it is always due to fruit! Everyone suggests modifying the sugar but no one says to what number I should modify it to. I have some kind of fruit with my breakfast, and some kind of fruit in the afternoon. I have looked at old posts, and online and I don't see any specifics on how much fruit it too much. I think I should try to do a vegetable in the afternoon instead but I really like my afternoon apples.

What do you guys think is a reasonable amount of fruit each day? Reasonable amount of sugar? I am almost 6 foot and have lost 15 of the 60 pounds I am going for. Is there a magic number that you should stay under for sugars regardless of other factors?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Well, people who are told to restrict their sugar intake are generally given a maximum of two servings. So you can definitely eat at least that. :)

I would generally say to ignore the sugar and look at the carbs and fiber. If you are staying within your limit each day and getting enough fiber, then your sugar consumption is just fine. Especially if most of your sugars come from things like fruit and dairy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I would generally say to ignore the sugar and look at the carbs and fiber. If you are staying within your limit each day and getting enough fiber, then your sugar consumption is just fine. Especially if most of your sugars come from things like fruit and dairy.

Unless you hae some medical condition that limits sugar, it just doesn't matter if your carbs are in line. I took a look at several days in your diary and you are at a reasonable level of carbs. Your goals seem out of whack though. You may want to adjust them to reflect a better macro mix. Looks like you used MFP defaults?
  • letsgo222
    Options
    Personally, I think that how much sugar your body can handle depends on your body and how you react to it more than the actual amount. Of course, natural fruit sugars are always a better choice than refined sugars. Further, when you eat fruit, the sugar is balanced by fiber. It's even better (in my opinion) to eat a protein/fat along with the sugar.

When you drink fruit juice, the sugar goes straight to your blood stream, quickly. There is nothing to balance it. Remember that sugar- whether it is fruit sugar, natural sugar, or granulated sugar- is still sugar. With fruit, you just get more good things with it. If I drink a glass of apple juice, I start bouncing off the walls. I need to monitor my sugar intake.

So I would ask yourself: Are you eating enough protein? Are you getting enough servings of vegetables? Do you feel like you get "sugar highs" or crash from the sugar? I would consider those three things, and as long as you are fine with your answers to those, then you aren't eating too much sugar.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Haha :laugh: !!! I've just turned my sugar count off too!!

I like fruit....I have apple trees everywhere and I'm not going to stop eating them now.
    Life is too short to worry about eating natural sugars, now if I were always eating lots of processed foods it would be different due to the hidden, refined sugars in these products.

But I'm not, so the sugar count is now removed from my food diary forever!!! :tongue:
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I love fruit too but I try and limit it to 2-3 pieces a day. I think it's fine if the rest of your diet is pretty good.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Unless you hae some medical condition that limits sugar, it just doesn't matter if your carbs are in line. I took a look at several days in your diary and you are at a reasonable level of carbs. Your goals seem out of whack though. You may want to adjust them to reflect a better macro mix. Looks like you used MFP defaults?

I am not good at this healthy lifestyle (obviously), so I have no idea what you mean by adjusting my macros, I wouldn't even know where to start! What part of the defaults appear to be a problem? I know it is dense but I am really just trying to eat what I am told by MFP, I can only go off of what I figure they know more about than me!

I appreciate the help! I am totally committed just want to make sure I am doing it the right way!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Macros, i.e. macronutrients: carbohydrates, fat, and protein.

A lot of people find the protein setting on the website to be too low since increasing protein intake can be beneficial when restricting calories. The MFP defaults are pretty good, but if you are going over in any of the above categories, protein should be it.
  • mmapags
    Options

I am not good at this healthy lifestyle (obviously), so I have no idea what you mean by adjusting my macros, I wouldn't even know where to start! What part of the defaults appear to be a problem? I know it is dense but I am really just trying to eat what I am told by MFP, I can only go off of what I figure they know more about than me!

I appreciate the help! I am totally committed just want to make sure I am doing it the right way!
    Be glad to help. First I could use a little more info. Are you doing an exercise program and if so, what is it?
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I adjusted mine (my home) (goals), then near the bottom of the page you can hit another button to custom set them.

I do 40% protein then 30 Carb/ 30 fat.

I read a bunch of material and basically came up with I should be eating 1 g of protein per lb of goal weight. I'm not quite there, more of a work in progress.

As far as the macros there is no right or wrong, just what is working for you....

As for what to track I believe that is in your settings then diary setting to turn off/on what you want to track.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I personally dont limit my fruit...Should I? I guess that is the debate. I am with you...no one seems to know that magic number...they just say dont eat fruit or limit it to 2. I THINK NOT!!.. A large apple is like 2 servings of fruit. I love grapes oranges strawberries bananas kiwi and more. If I want I will eat a whole container of strawberries, blueberries or tomatoes...Then thing about it is I eat a variety of other food too. I dont see how eating an abundant amount of fruit and veggies could hurt if you dont have any medical issues.
  • mell6355
    Options

Be glad to help. First I could use a little more info. Are you doing an exercise program and if so, what is it?

Well I don't know about "program" but I just did day 10 of level one on 30 day shred, starting level 2 tomorrow (10days) and so on (not consecutive days). I ride my bike on Sundays (weather permitting) for 13-14 miles (800 calorie burn day) , roller skate Wednesdays 1 hour (800 calorie burn day), and throw in my elliptical 20-40 minutes or a fast walk when I can. I try for 45 minutes a day, and 400 calories burned on those days.
  • mell6355
    Options
    I adjusted mine (my home) (goals), then near the bottom of the page you can hit another button to custom set them.

>>>>>>I do 40% protein then 30 Carb/ 30 fat. ( What does this mean? 40% of what? 30 what?)<<<<<
  • mmapags
    Options

Well I don't know about "program" but I just did day 10 of level one on 30 day shred, starting level 2 tomorrow (10days) and so on (not consecutive days). I ride my bike on Sundays (weather permitting) for 13-14 miles (800 calorie burn day) , roller skate Wednesdays 1 hour (800 calorie burn day), and throw in my elliptical 20-40 minutes or a fast walk when I can. I try for 45 minutes a day, and 400 calories burned on those days.

Got it. So, the priority in macro goal setting is protein, fats, then carbs. Set your protein at .8 grams to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. I'm guessing you are at around 30% body fat based on how much you are wanting to lose so multiply you weight by .7 and you will have a reasonable lean body mass to set your protein target. Next set fats at .35 to .4 grams per lb body weight. Let carbs be the balalnce. You can bump either of these up a little without harm but I wouldn't go down on either.

On MFP, go to goals, set goals, custom. Set your percentages in the prioirty listed above. You are trying to convert grams to a % so it will not be precise but that is not critical. Just get as close as you can and err on the high side for protien and fat.

That should do it! Then hit those targets daily.

edited for clarity.
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

7 months ago I was just like you and didn't have a clue about how much of this, that and the other I was supposed to have. Nor did I care that much. I just wanted to count my calorie intake and lose some weight. But then after days and weeks of checking everything I was consuming, and finding, like you that I was going over on certain things, I started getting interested and searching for answers on the interweb. You will find your own balance in your own time. What might work for me maybe won't for you etc, etc. By all means ask the questions and listen to what people say. It depends what you want to get or achieve out of the things you eat and drink as to how you set your macro's. There's no hard and fast rule. You'll pick it up as you go along, but for now the important one to watch is the calories. Keep to your calorie goal every day and you will get results, no matter what! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think they are referring to the Zone Diet, each number is the percentage of your calories for the day.

>>>>>>I do 40% protein then 30 Carb/ 30 fat. ( What does this mean? 40% of what? 30 what?)<<<<<
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am Diabetic and fruit should be a killer for me...but I eat at least three servings per day. My blood sugar has leveled off and I don't worry because of this. The nutrients in fruit overrides and sugar.