sodium intake and weight gain

Options
I obviously know the more salt in my diet the more I will retain water other than cutting down on sodium (which I try to do as much as I can) what can get rid of this water weight gain from too much salt, i tried drinking loads of water to flush it out and so my body didnt need to hold onto the extra water but that didnt work

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Water leaves your body from urine and sweat. Get a good workout in and keep hydrating.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Patience until it goes down on its own.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    I try to be patient but its making me sad for the scales haha, tried water retention pills and went all funny off them, wont be using them again!
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem--been drinking a ton of water and now tracking my intake.

I thought I was doing pretty good with my levels until I changed my settings yesterday and realized today that I am at 5k in sodium!! It is SO amazing to see the actual amounts in different foods. I am drinking about a gallon of water a day, but NOW need to focus on the sodium intake..I am sure I will see a great improvement soon too!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's not quite as simple as more sodium = more water retention. It's more like sodium intake *fluctuations* can = water retention, but even with that, sodium isn't the only electrolyte involved.

"Flusing the sodium" with water did nothing because fluid retention is about electrolyte balance, drinking more water doesn't necessarily remedy the situation.

The best course of action is to just wait it out, it's only temporary.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Increase intake of high protein foods and potassium rich foods will promote some natural diuresis. Also, fresh parsley, dandelian greens and asparagus are natural diuretics.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing people advise others to increase potassium to flush sodium. Its dangerous. Drink your water, watch your sodium intake & wait. It will even out.
  • sadyel
    Options
    ooh i love asparagus i guess ill just have to watch my sodium and wait it out, it never used to affect me mum seems to a lot lately cant think of much difference in what im eating I might just not handle it as well any more
  • lectriceye
    lectriceye Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I usually try to eat a lot of Asparagus and drink Dandelion tea. That seems to help a little. I would be careful with water pills, they are hard on your Kidneys especially if overused.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's not quite as simple as more sodium = more water retention. It's more like sodium intake *fluctuations* can = water retention, but even with that, sodium isn't the only electrolyte involved.

"Flusing the sodium" with water did nothing because fluid retention is about electrolyte balance, drinking more water doesn't necessarily remedy the situation.

The best course of action is to just wait it out, it's only temporary.

^^^^^This!! The American Heart Association has lowered its recommendations to 1500mg/day of sodium. Cut back on the processed foods in your diet.

Also remember that fluid retention isn't fat, and while we all want a lower number on the scale, I don't care if the number is because of fluid retention. I do care if it's fat.
  • gddrdld
    Options
    I hate seeing people advise others to increase potassium to flush sodium. Its dangerous. Drink your water, watch your sodium intake & wait. It will even out.

I am a Registered Dietitian, have been working in clinical nutrition for 18 years...I assure you, increasing potassium via food is not dangerous. Most people get way less potassium in their diet than is recommended.
  • TBoom915
    TBoom915 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump...I have this problem all the time and am currently trying to wait it out now.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

LOL, I wouldn't exactly call eating a baked potato or a few bananas "dangerous."
  • tobnrn
    Options

LOL, I wouldn't exactly call eating a baked potato or a few bananas "dangerous."

A couple baked potatoes or bananas no. I have seen people on this site recommend taking potassium supplements to counteract the effects of sodium. It can (not always) be a slippery slope when you don't know your true blood levels.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

A couple baked potatoes or bananas no. I have seen people on this site recommend taking potassium supplements to counteract the effects of sodium. It can (not always) be a slippery slope when you don't know your true blood levels.

If you go back and read, she recommended "Increase intake of high protein foods and potassium rich foods"
  • tobnrn
    Options

If you go back and read, she recommended "Increase intake of high protein foods and potassium rich foods"

She recommended foods with diuretic properties to a person who is already taking a diuretic. Most people don't understand how the sodium/potassium pump works & the effects on muscle.
  • gddrdld
    Options

She recommended foods with diuretic properties to a person who is already taking a diuretic. Most people don't understand how the sodium/potassium pump works & the effects on muscle.

I have an excellent grasp on how the sodium/potassium pump works...Thanks. You need to simmer down a little. I did not recommend anything that was not both safe and healthy.
  • tobnrn
    Options

I have an excellent grasp on how the sodium/potassium pump works...Thanks. You need to simmer down a little. I did not recommend anything that was not both safe and healthy.

No need to simmer down. I'm not upset. Just my opinion.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    your body will always work toward homeostasis. it it due what 100,000 yrs of evolution has designed it to due. we have to be patient. putting on water weight is how ur body starts to remove extra sodium. the extra pound for 1-2 days is not the end of the world. we shouldnt worry about sugar or salt intake unless there is a problem with an organ(kidney/pancreas) or extreme sensitivity(with high blood pressure). just my opinion.
  • sadyel
    Options
    Thanks every one for the information