Late Dinner?

Options
Hey, I need your advice! so yesterday I had a normal breakfast at 8 and lunch at 11:30 . Then I had school from 1-4. After school, I went to work for 5- 9:30. I didnt end up eating dinner until after 9:30. Uh Oh. Is this really bad?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is about personal preference. That old adage about not eating after 7pm? Complete BS. Eat when you want/when you can. I eat dinner at 10pm sometimes. No big deal :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is about personal preference. That old adage about not eating after 7pm? Complete BS. Eat when you want/when you can. I eat dinner at 10pm sometimes. No big deal :)

This. I often have dinner then another 1,000+ calorie meal before bed.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^This! I don't eat dinner until between 8-9pm every night. It has in no way hindered my progress!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If it does not disturb your sleep - it makes no difference when you eat. I had a large meal of cold cuts too late at night last week - big mistake, but my weight was not affected - just tossed and turned all night and woke up tired. OTOH - I often have junky coffee yogurt before bed, and I think the milk part makes me sleep better.
  • meganbook
    Options
    I usually eat dinner around 830PM. It's actually helped me because I avoid late night snacking or mini second dinners. By the time I eat, clean up, shower, and get my things ready for the next morning, I head to bed!
  • pseusie
    pseusie Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't usually eat dinner till close to 8 pm, but I try to always have at least one snack between lunch and dinner to keep my energy up and my blood sugar from dropping. It's usually something protein-heavy so that I don't get too hungry waiting for dinnertime to roll around.
  • PrettyUgly18
    PrettyUgly18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    okay! thanks so much! I didnt know whether to just skip dinner, or have it late. But i'm glad I did. I'm not going to make it a routine, but atleast if I have to I won't feel bad about it! :)
  • karlyelindsay
    karlyelindsay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sometimes I don't get home from work until 9pm and east dinner then. doesn't bother me but I try not to eat bread/pasta/rice/potato carbs that late and sick to fruit and veggie carbs.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant, unless you have difficulties sleeping on a full stomach. I frequently eat after 8pm.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    sometimes I eat just one 2000+ calorie meal a day.

late at night.

... infront of people that go "how does that *kitten* stay thin when he just ate ALL THAT!"

its fun.

The restaurant I do this at is just infront of Curves.

I recommend it.
  • Shagi
    Shagi Posts: 19
    Options
    It's not a big deal ,some times I eat my dinner at 9 or 11pm!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There will be a lot of people who will say (and already have!) that meal times don't matter, talk about intermittent fasting, etc etc etc. For me, it works to eat at regular intervals of about 4 hrs. That way I'm not starving by the time I'm eating my next meal, and I can thin about what to eat rather than just grabbing the first thing I see and eating too much.

Because of going to the gym and swimming, there are several times a week I don't get home from work until after 8pm. I've eaten breakfast and lunch at a normal time, but then I don't get a chance to eat dinner until 8:30 or so. I like to have some sort of protein snack like some almonds or a protein bar at about 4:30-5pm. That keeps my energy going for working out and swimming, and then I do my refuel protein snack on my way home from the gy m. That way, I'm refueling after my workout, but I'm not starving by the time I get home and I'm not grabbing the first thing I see from the fridge/cabinet which may not be the healthiest dinner. On those nights I find that just a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit or a bowl of oatmeal with some walnuts and raisins is enough for me, but doesn't sit too heavy on my stomach for going to bed.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There will be a lot of people who will say (and already have!) that meal times don't matter, talk about intermittent fasting, etc etc etc. For me, it works to eat at regular intervals of about 4 hrs. That way I'm not starving by the time I'm eating my next meal, and I can thin about what to eat rather than just grabbing the first thing I see and eating too much.

Because of going to the gym and swimming, there are several times a week I don't get home from work until after 8pm. I've eaten breakfast and lunch at a normal time, but then I don't get a chance to eat dinner until 8:30 or so. I like to have some sort of protein snack like some almonds or a protein bar at about 4:30-5pm. That keeps my energy going for working out and swimming, and then I do my refuel protein snack on my way home from the gy m. That way, I'm refueling after my workout, but I'm not starving by the time I get home and I'm not grabbing the first thing I see from the fridge/cabinet which may not be the healthiest dinner. On those nights I find that just a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit or a bowl of oatmeal with some walnuts and raisins is enough for me, but doesn't sit too heavy on my stomach for going to bed.

That is a preference that helps with adherence to calories. What time or how often you eat is irrelevant to weight loss.