50/50 Custody

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
If you have 50/50 custody, how do you work your schedule... and perhaps why does that particular arrangement work best for you?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my Dad would get us Sunday night to Wednesday night and my Mom would get us Wednesday night to Sunday Night. We went with my Mom on weekends because my Dad owned a bar/food place and it was easier that way with school and everything.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Thanks :) We're trying to figure something out so that we each have some weekend time with/without the child, but are struggling to find a decent set schedule.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    My parents had joint custody of me, at first. I'd stay with each parent every other week. Eventually, they decided that wasn't stable enough, so they changed it to 3 weeks with one parent then 3 weeks with the other. In the end my Dad had full custody.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Basically, I get them every other weekend. Our schedule repeats every 2 weeks.

I have kids Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday and Wed. Ex has them Wed night and Thursday. Then I am on again Fri night and Saturday till 5 pm Sun. Week two, it is reversed. Rinse and repeat.

It's not the easiest schedule, but neither of us just wanted to be away from the kids for a whole week at a time. We are also very flexible with each other, so if one of us needs a weekend to go something special we can usually "swap". I had a festival last weekend (when I should have been on), and she has to head out of town for a work deal this weekend (when she should be on), for example, so we simply swapped weekends.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    I have my girls every night from 3:30pm to 6am and I drop them off at my ex's and he gets the older one ready for school and he watches the younger one till he has to go to work at 11am (he works 2nd shift) then he drops her off at day care and I pick the girls up again at 3:30 then we switch every other weekend..
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would alternate a week with my mom and a week with my dad, and the parent that I wasn't staying with during the week would get me for dinner two times. They lived in the same school district so it wasn't a big deal for transporting back and forth.. I did this from ages 12-18.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I have kids Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday and Wed. Ex has them Wed night and Thursday. Then I am on again Fri night and Saturday till 5 pm Sun. Week two, it is reversed. Rinse and repeat.

It's not the easiest schedule, but neither of us just wanted to be away from the kids for a whole week at a time. We are also very flexible with each other, so if one of us needs a weekend to go something special we can usually "swap". I had a festival last weekend (when I should have been on), and she has to head out of town for a work deal this weekend (when she should be on), for example, so we simply swapped weekends.

We're looking for something more like this. We live close and get along really well. We have literally just planned it out week by week for the last four years, but that's getting too chaotic (he's in a band and I used to work a second job, so it worked for us, but just isn't anymore).

But I'm confused by your schedule, I think Wed got repeated... is it:

Sun - Dad
    Mon - Dad
    Tue - Dad
    Wed - Mom
    Thur - Mom
    Fri - Dad
    Sat - Mom

Following Week:
    Sun - Mom
    Mon - Mom
    Tue - Mom
    Wed - Dad
    Thur - Dad
    Fri - Mom
    Sat - Dad

(for "sleeping" hours anyhow)... Is that what you do??
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

We're looking for something more like this. We live close and get along really well. We have literally just planned it out week by week for the last four years, but that's getting too chaotic (he's in a band and I used to work a second job, so it worked for us, but just isn't anymore).

But I'm confused by your schedule, I think Wed got repeated... is it:

Sun - Dad
    Mon - Dad
    Tue - Dad
    Wed - Mom
    Thur - Mom
    Fri - Dad
    Sat - Mom

Following Week:
    Sun - Mom
    Mon - Mom
    Tue - Mom
    Wed - Dad
    Thur - Dad
    Fri - Mom
    Sat - Dad

(for "sleeping" hours anyhow)... Is that what you do??

Yeah - it is confusing, and I may not have written it out properly! More like this:

Week 1
    Sun - Dad
    Mon - Dad
    Tue - Dad
    Wed - Mom
    Thur - Mom
    Fri - Dad
    Sat - Dad

Following Week:
    Sun - Mom
    Mon - Mom
    Tue - Mom
    Wed - Dad
    Thur - Dad
    Fri - Mom
    Sat - Mom

And yes - those would be sleeping hours. So, in week 1, I start at 5 pm Sunday, then she takes over at 5 pm Wednesday.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Me. Monday, Wednesday, and every other weekend.

Her. Tuesday, Thursday, and every other weekend.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Not an entirely bad idea either...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Not an entirely bad idea either...

That would probably be pretty close to your best bet.
  • TLW1711
    TLW1711 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We are week about with our son. Except for school holidays they, are split 50/50 but can result in 3 week blocks. We started this when our son was 8 and he's 12 now. He's seems to be ok about it. Time will tell when the teenage years hit though, because I still live in the same town, but his father left the area to live 30 miles away.

If you can keep things civil it helps soooo much. My ex won't discuss anything and this makes it very hard.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I have sole custody, but dated a man that had a really good 50/50 split.

Dad: Mon/Tue
    Mom: Wed/Thurs

They would alternate weekends, Fri - Sun.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    First of all, custody and visitation are completely separate. Legal custody refers to a persons legal right to make decisions in the life of the child, such as choosing healthcare providers or schools, as well directing all of the above in major decisions.

Visitation is merely an agreement between the parties on the frequency that the child will visit with parent who lives away from the primary residence. A parent can have 50% legal custody of a child and only see them once or twice a week. Neither the visitation frequency nor the child's primary residence has an impact on legal custody. Although a summary of both may be drafted in the same legal document, such as a conciliation order - they are generally handled seperately by different legal entities.

Just sayin.
  • nyxrun
    nyxrun Posts: 60
    Options
    If you have 50/50 custody, how do you work your schedule... and perhaps why does that particular arrangement work best for you?

We flex due to schedule, but when I worked days we would go:

I had them Monday and Tuesday. He had Thurs and Friday. Whoever didnt have them that weekend got Wednesday.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When Dad moved out, he moved 15 min away and I just went to his house on the weekends. When I got older (I was 10 when they separated), I would take the city bus to his house instead of the school bus home a few days a week. It worked well until Mom got a job on the other side of the country. I just lived with her after the school year ended.