constant re-start

Options
I feel like im constantly re-starting my journey. and of course I re-start on Mondays haha. But I dont know if im pushing myself to hard when i work out because I know Im capable of it, but then im SO exhausted. I dont know if i should start back slowly until i gain a good pace to push harder and harder?

Replies

• IruleMYlife
    Options
    I just restarted for the millionth time this past Monday. I think that its just too easy to slip back into old, not so great habits, especially if you are trying to change too many things at once.

This time around it feels easier, so far. I set up a goal to work out only 20 minutes a day (right away in the morning) and yoga every other day for 20-30 minutes if I feel up to it. MFP has me set up for 1200 calories a day but in my personal journal I set up a goal to stay under 1500 calories. The only major change that has been rough for me is that I cut out pop completely.

You just have to make little changes. Maybe set up a couple of small goals for a week at a time. Take it one day at a time. They say it takes 30 days to make a habit, but I think that if you have years of bad habits it takes longer to break those.

Good luck!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I'd start off all gung ho and crazy ready. That'd last for 3 or 4 days, and then I'd burn out. Exercize would halt. Diet would reverse into binging. And I'd have a what's-the-point? attitude.

Now, slow and steady, I am losing weight (about a pound a week), and my workouts that began nearly as a leisurely ride on the elliptical while I watch TV are now intense workouts while I watch TV. Getting thinner, lighter, stronger, and more toned. AND, I am finding that it is not difficult. In fact, it is EASY to stick to. And, if it is so easy now, I see no reason why I can not only lose the weight, but maintain at goal as well as continue to keep exercize as a part of my daily routine.

Hope this helps.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I restarted again for the last time (hopefully) on Sunday. It's always hard trying to get your feet back under you and move foward. I know the feeling though. You go in excited and ready and push yourself hard, then burn yourself out.

Personally, i want this to be a lifestyle change, so I'm taking baby steps. Maybe start by eating better, then adding in exercise, then pushing your exercise level harder adn harder. Let your body adjust to the change so you don't burn out.

Feel free to add me if you want some support.

Nic

*EDIT*

My two favorite quotes lately:

Slow and steady wins the race.

Everything in moderation.
  • AmyMoenae
    AmyMoenae Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Doing the very same thing today... Restarting! We can do this! I have about a lot to lose to get to my goal weight. Haven't weighed in awhile but I guessing it is over 220 again. I'd like to get back down to 155 and go from there and maybe try for more. I just sold a bunch of stuff in my house and am going to pay cash for an elliptical today! I have been borrowing my neighbor's for weeks now. I am hoping that when I have cravings I can hop on there and think about it first. I need to go eat breakfast now and I am going to make it a good healthy meal. Have a great day!
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I’m a re-starter and fed up with it. Really want to lose weight and for the first time in years be lighter at the end of the year than when it started.
    Good luck everyone. I have my fingers crossed it works for you.
    BB
    :o)
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are tired of starting over, stop quitting.

Stop letting small failures derail your entire plan. Get up and keep moving.

Make the next day better. Forget Monday. Start right now.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Keep your work outs simple, light, easy to follow and repeatable untill they become habit and then look at bumping up your intensity. Repition is how you set habits. 3x's a week for 3-4 weeks and you may have set a habit, it might take a little longer then that. Everybody is different and only you can figure that out for yourself.

Once you add intensity after setting your habit only do it occassionally. Some of the top Triathletes in the world train with the following intensity levels, if its good enough for them its good enough for us in my opinion.

80% of your workouts should be EASY.
    10% of your workouts should be MEDIUM-HARD.
    10% of your workouts should be MAX EFFORT.

The easiest way to gauge difficulty is through Heart Rate...

40%-70% of your max HR = EASY
    70-90% of your max HR = MEDIUM-HARD
    90%+ of your max HR = MAX EFFORT.

http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate.htm# is a great calculator that lets you check by percentage.

Feel free to add me if you have additional questions.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Thanks for this today! My boyfriend told me my middle name is, "I'm going hardcore again starting tomorrow." I'm so sick of falling off track. Maybe if we are a little less hard on ourselves, we will have a less hard time sticking with it!
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you guys, thanks so much!!! moderation!

i went to pilates last night for the first time and it was great! im going to do the ellipitical for the next week to get back into the swing of things, and i like that, get a habit of it instead of burning myself out.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I said in another post of mine to stop trying and start doing. When you re-start, maybe you should start smaller, because if you are constantly falling off the wagon, then it would seem that you are trying to do too much at once. Breaking habits don't happen overnight. If you make really small changes first and keep making small changes, it much easier to stick to it rather than going all-in and finding it all overwhelming.

Start smaller. Weight loss and healthy living doesn't just happen overnight. People in developed countries are so used to things just happening easily, everything we desire is there at the snap of our fingers and that's why it's so difficult to lose weight, because we are after quick results. We are always looking for the quick fix.

It's NOT going to be quick...either way it's going to take time - make it easier on yourself and ease into it. Rather DO something that constantly trying and then giving up. Don't set yourself up for failure by thinking it is going to be a few weeks of hard slog and then its over - it's going to take TIME...
  • anniebanknote
    anniebanknote Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I restarted again for the last time (hopefully) on Sunday. It's always hard trying to get your feet back under you and move foward. I know the feeling though. You go in excited and ready and push yourself hard, then burn yourself out.

Personally, i want this to be a lifestyle change, so I'm taking baby steps. Maybe start by eating better, then adding in exercise, then pushing your exercise level harder adn harder. Let your body adjust to the change so you don't burn out.

Feel free to add me if you want some support.

Nic

*EDIT*

My two favorite quotes lately:

Slow and steady wins the race.

Everything in moderation.

This is such great advice - I am so guilty of diving in and being very "all or nothing" and then burning out quickly. I also try not to get too frustrated with myself when I go back to my old ways, and then start again, and then go back, etc. It's better to keep trying than to just give up all together!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I found a really good on-line workout for beginners day before yesterday. It's called FitnessBlender low-impact workout for beginners, and it's challenging but not at all hard on the body. Best of all, it goes in three 10-minute cycles, so you can do 10, 20, or 30 minutes. The first time, I could only do 2 (20 minutes), but this morning already I did all 3, but not every repetition. I can see already that in two weeks I'll be ready to progress to a new, more challenging workout instead of having burned out and given up.
  • gwenette
    Options
    When i restarted this time for the zillionth time i looked back and saw i had gained 16 lbs in just a few months!!! Gave me some motiviation that i desperately needed!! Good luck
  • Tonyajsouth
    Tonyajsouth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    same here too. it would be easier if my boyfriend would support me and motivate me. all he tells me is im fine. i cant get him to go running with me or anything. so frustrating.