PB alternative

jday53405
jday53405 Posts: 20
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
PB2 - I can mix it with my Quaker oatmeal, put it on wheat toast, mix with pudding, or in my protein shakes. I absolutely love this stuff. I have to admit it has a slightly different texture than regular PB, but it takes the guilt out of having some. I haven't seen it around any grocery stores, but you can get it at most health food stores or online. I haven't tried the chocolate one yet, but with the nutritional value on that, I probably wont.

http://www.bellplantation.com/

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Cool! I'm a fan of plain old fashioned peanut butter (eg, the ingredients read: "Peanuts."), and almond butter when I have extra cash to sling around.

Isn't this the stuff that Hungry Girl reccomends?
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    I'm sooo in love with Better'N Peanut Butter...

betternpeanutbutter.com 100 calories for 2 tbls and much lower in fat too. Get mine at Feel Rite Fresh Market.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    :huh: I eat regular "natural" peanut butter (Ingredients: peanuts, salt) completely guilt-free.

But I'm confused -- is it essentially peanut butter with the oil removed? Isn't the oil the good for you part? I really am confused, I'm not trying to be a jerk here. :laugh:

Edit: I answered my own question about the "what it is" part (PB - peanut oil).
  • I tried the betternpeanutbutter.com but never could get use to the taste for some reason. I have heard people rave about it though.

It does take away most of the oil, but you can eat 3 or 4 times as much. So when I am really hungry, this is great. Natural PB is awesome to.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    PB2 and Better N Peanut Butter can not be healthier than regular peanut butter that has just peanuts and salt as the ingredients. You can't get any more natural than natural peanut butter. There is NO reason to be afraid of the fat in peanut butter. It is a natural occurring fat which makes it good for you.
  • I agree, it is good for you, but you can't just go sit down and eat a jar of it daily and think you wont gain weight. To much of a good thing is a bad thing also. I am just saying this is an alternative to the real stuff if PB is your vice.
  • July24Lioness
    I agree, it is good for you, but you can't just go sit down and eat a jar of it daily and think you wont gain weight. To much of a good thing is a bad thing also. I am just saying this is an alternative to the real stuff if PB is your vice.

I eat 2 or 3 servings of some type of nut butter, mostly cashew and macadamia nut butters, peanut butter on occasion and I am losing weight fine.

My husband and I go through peanut butter (natural) like no tomorrow. It is a good source of protein, tastes good with carrots, apples and celery...............
  • LittleSpy
    I eat 2 or 3 servings of some type of nut butter, mostly cashew and macadamia nut butters, peanut butter on occasion and I am losing weight fine.

My husband and I go through peanut butter (natural) like no tomorrow. It is a good source of protein, tastes good with carrots, apples and celery...............
    I also eat natural peanut butter like crazy. I think I have 3 different kinds opened in my refrigerator right now (smooth, crunchy, honey added).

But I see the point of PB2 (which, if you had bothered to look at the ingredients like I bothered to do when I had questions, you'd see it's just peanuts, sugar, and salt, like many "natural" peanut butters).

The point is -- you love the way PB tastes but you don't have enough calories to fit as much as you want in your day. For me, I've conqured this problem by self-discipline and limiting my portion sizes (I use a tbs in my oatmeal most mornings and I'll have a tbs on some fruit for a snack many days). For others, PB2 is an option. I may get the sampler just to try it as a treat. It sounds delicious and although it is lacking the oil benefits of traditional natural peanut butter, it doesn't contain anything especially bad for you (sugar & salt -- but those are just fine in moderation).
  • PB2 - I can mix it with my Quaker oatmeal, put it on wheat toast, mix with pudding, or in my protein shakes. I absolutely love this stuff. I have to admit it has a slightly different texture than regular PB, but it takes the guilt out of having some. I haven't seen it around any grocery stores, but you can get it at most health food stores or online. I haven't tried the chocolate one yet, but with the nutritional value on that, I probably wont.

http://www.bellplantation.com/
    OMG I LOVE PB2 !!!!! I am still waiting on my order. I have ordered from bellplantation so many times and the last time they sent me a reply saying it was on back order :sad: and it won't get shipped until probably the end of March. I live in Ohio and had my friend from North Carolina send me 4 jars so I can try to make it through. lol.
  • July24Lioness

I also eat natural peanut butter like crazy. I think I have 3 different kinds opened in my refrigerator right now (smooth, crunchy, honey added).

But I see the point of PB2 (which, if you had bothered to look at the ingredients like I bothered to do when I had questions, you'd see it's just peanuts, sugar, and salt, like many "natural" peanut butters).

The point is -- you love the way PB tastes but you don't have enough calories to fit as much as you want in your day. For me, I've conqured this problem by self-discipline and limiting my portion sizes (I use a tbs in my oatmeal most mornings and I'll have a tbs on some fruit for a snack many days). For others, PB2 is an option. I may get the sampler just to try it as a treat. It sounds delicious and although it is lacking the oil benefits of traditional natural peanut butter, it doesn't contain anything especially bad for you (sugar & salt -- but those are just fine in moderation).

My point being if they are processing a food to take the fat out of it and then basically grinding it into a powder, it has become too much of a processed food and I no longer eat processed foods of any kind, especially processed foods that tout themselves as being healthy.

Also, I don't count calories so I will have the real thing. Nothing like making fresh and home made in your food processor.
  • I don't think anyone told you not to eat it. But if your worried about the processiing, you may just want to stick with in the shell peanuts. They have to do something to make you peanut butter in paste form. Either way, it is a great alternative for PB and something a little different.
  • July24Lioness
    I don't think anyone told you not to eat it. But if your worried about the processiing, you may just want to stick with in the shell peanuts. They have to do something to make you peanut butter in paste form. Either way, it is a great alternative for PB and something a little different.

I make nut butters at home all the time because it is cheaper...........Throw nuts and oil in food processor or blender and make nut butter.......

1 cup of nuts
    2 tsp oil (I use grapeseed or coconut oil)

Can be doubled or tripled, etc.
  • LittleSpy
    My point being if they are processing a food to take the fat out of it and then basically grinding it into a powder, it has become too much of a processed food and I no longer eat processed foods of any kind, especially processed foods that tout themselves as being healthy.

Also, I don't count calories so I will have the real thing. Nothing like making fresh and home made in your food processor.

I get your point, but you said there's "no reason" to avoid the oil so I explained the reason some people have for wanting to eliminate some of the calories from the oil.
  • Why does it seem when you try to share something you enjoy or you think is good some people always seem to find something negative to say about it?
    No one ever said EAT THIS.
  • July24Lioness
    Why does it seem when you try to share something you enjoy or you think is good some people always seem to find something negative to say about it?
    No one ever said EAT THIS.

I am not being negative, just offering a different point of view................

The point of eating healthy is not about calorie counting. It is the quality of the foods we choose. And eating fats and oils that are natural are good for you, so it is pointless to take them out and in the end you are actually hurting your body more.

that is all I am saying.

But for those of you that want to consume your life with calorie counting and eating low fat - by all means do what suits you.

I will continue to NOT count calories and eat natural foods freely and live a free and content lifestyle.
  • But for those of you that want to consume your life with calorie counting and eating low fat - by all means do what suits you.

I will continue to NOT count calories and eat natural foods freely and live a free and content lifestyle.
    [/quote]

I count calories and eat a naturally low fat diet for health reasons and have been very successful and I am healthier now than I have ever been. In no way is my life consumed by it. I have also been able to stop taking medications to treat my medical problems instead I keep them under control with diet and exercise. I also eat natural foods and live a free and content lifestyle so it can be done both ways. I just think we all need to remember to have an open mind to different ways of thinking and try not to belittle each other when someone has a different opinion.
This discussion has been closed.