how do you do college and lose weight?

Options
This summer I had great success with MFP, going from 158 lbs down to 137. Now I'm at 142 lbs. (My goal is 120.) And it's driving me nuts! How can I keep my weight down? I neglect the app half the time, and on the weekends it's extremely difficult because of football games, tailgating, drunk munchies, binge drinking, etc. And with a job and also 12 credits and being in a sorority, I can never find time to get to the gym! On the (possible) bright side, I don't live on campus anymore so I don't have a meal plan, but my issues are being stuck on campus all day and eating junk food between classes instead of being healthy. Anyone else in the same situation? Any advice? Any tips on how to stay sane, healthy, and lose weight?

It would be much appreciated! THANKSS :)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This summer I had great success with MFP, going from 158 lbs down to 137. Now I'm at 142 lbs. (My goal is 120.) And it's driving me nuts! How can I keep my weight down? I neglect the app half the time, and on the weekends it's extremely difficult because of football games, tailgating, drunk munchies, binge drinking, etc. And with a job and also 12 credits and being in a sorority, I can never find time to get to the gym! On the (possible) bright side, I don't live on campus anymore so I don't have a meal plan, but my issues are being stuck on campus all day and eating junk food between classes instead of being healthy. Anyone else in the same situation? Any advice? Any tips on how to stay sane, healthy, and lose weight?

It would be much appreciated! THANKSS :)

You said it:

"I neglect the app half the time"

Start logging everything every day. Get a thermal tote and take snacks/food with you. Instead of sitting and eating between classes, go to the fitness center and get a workout in. Or just walk around campus.

You just have to CHOSE to do it.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Well you said the reasons why you gained weight, so just don't do those things.

There is always time to go to the gym. Give yourself 23 hours in the day to do things and use the extra hour for the gym.
    Don't neglect the app.
    Earn your alcohol. Go for Rum and diet coke instead of regular coke.
    Drunk munch on un-greasy food. If that's not possible, then drink less and drunk much those extra calories.
    Pack snacks when you're on campus. Celery and carrots are cheap and they travel well. I bring those on campus with me and dip them in dry ranch dressing mix (it's only 5 calories per 1/2 teaspoon--and 1/2 teaspoon goes a long way).
    It's always possible, you just have to realize that you're going to have to work for it and plan ahead until you get a hang of it.
  • alisonbank
    alisonbank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was in a very similar situation (this past year especially) and have had the same troubles losing weight. I managed to maintain, but I want to lose like I had been last summer. I found that the easiest thing was to bring lunch with me and have lots of snacks in my bag in case I got hungry or got caught up on campus. I almost always had a small bag of pretzel sticks, grapes, or almonds with me.

It's not much advice since I've had the same problem, but I'm DEFINITELY interested in hearing what other people have to say.

And I wouldn't even try during Finals Week since I'd be at the library until like 5am....
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I will probably get a lot of criticism for this, but check out undressedskeleton, she has a bunch of great lunch ideas/snack ideas and she's in college. I get that some of her stuff is off, but she does have good ideas
  • skinnylion
    Options
    Buy fruit and pick healthy options from wherever you pick up snacks from. Here, all of our food stops have fresh salads, yogurt, power bars, etc to buy. The only person putting junk food in your mouth is you. And binge drinking won't help. Measure out a shot or two and call it quits, all of that alcohol has calories. And it's making you gain weight.

Just make smart choices and your body will thank you, there's no such thing as "no time". You have to MAKE time if you really want it.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in 3rd year and I make time for the gym. If I can't find it elsewhere I get up and go before lectures. I also have a part time job too.
    I eat healthy and I only have one or 2 drinks a night when I go out. And I ALWAYS log alcohol calories. People often forget alcohol has a lot of calories, and that also cuts out drunken munchies and I can still have a good time, I just tend to go home an hour or 2 earlier is the only difference.
    And since the app is online, on my phone and on my tablet I can access it anywhere and I log everything either before or immediately after eating it so I don't forget.
    Also when you do get time, try bulk cooking meals and freezing them. I find that this means I still have a decent meal even if i get home too late to bother properly cooking something (:
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was in college and working full time. I ran out of time to eat, lol! My suggestion would be is try to plan your food. I also agree on the earning the alcohol! If I'm planning a night out over the weekend I make sure to have a 2-3k calorie deficit by the weekend! When I have a night out, it's a NIGHT OUT! Lastly, lots of water. during the day I'm not hungry as much if I'm sipping on water throughout the day. When I'm out and having drinks, I drink 1-2 glasses of water between/beside my drinks. That also helps with drunk munchies!
  • karexoxo22
    Options
    Thank you everyone this is all extremely helpful! Yes--I should definitely make the gym more of a priority and I do realize that this is a choice that I have to make. Sometimes I feel like it's easier to give up rather than continue, but now that I am realizing that I am gaining weight again and I don't like how I look I really have to change that. And i guess I should just look at it more as a lifestyle change than something temporary--that's where the larger problem lies. If I can't see it as something to change for the rest of my life then I'll never be able to lose the weight I want and be at a healthy BMI. Thank you all!!
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I full up my bag with fruit in the morning before I head to classes so I have no excuse for stopping and buying junk :)
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I did it, I was about 210 pounds before starting college and lost about 75 pounds during my sophomore year. First of all, I made a point of working out almost every day. Sometimes this meant not hanging out with my friends when they were going out, but it was worth it. Secondly, I kept track of what I ate. In the dining hall, I found it relatively easy to watch what I ate because there were so many options. It's important to learn how to cook (and you don't need much, a hot plate, 1 pot, 1 skillet, a cutting board, and knife, maybe 1 spoon for mixing) is enough- you can be creative. I just planned ahead, never went hungry, made working out a priority, and tried to watch the drinking-- the same stuff I do now! You will be just fine.

Oh yeah! And just completely eliminate the drunk munchies. That was a huge thing for me. Now, I never do it. If your friends are out and getting something to eat (and mine were every night--- and all so skinny! ) I would just drink water or abstain. If I recall correctly, I think my house had a cereal machine, and once in a while if everyone else was pigging out at night, I'd do a bowl of cereal as a compromise.... but, I think now, just cut it out of your diet. If I want to drink, I can't eat as much.
  • shell625
    shell625 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am literally in the same boat! Sorority, big school, drinking, etc. I am not willing to give up my social life. Maybe we can support each other? I feel like eating right during the week and trying to eat pretty well during the weekend too helps... I know that isn't specific, but we are so active at college that drinking on the weekends doesn't have to ruin all our other efforts!
  • Lora_
    Lora_ Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think one of the best things that you can do is to plan. On an easy day that you have a little time (and energy), try to pre-cook some diet food, slice your veggies and fruits, cook diet meals and freeze them if you are able to. This way you can just grab something and heat it up through the week. Good luck!
  • dayatatime1
    dayatatime1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, especially my last semester when I had 23 credit hours, I just had to make working out a non-negotiable part of my schedule every day. I had to make sure that it wasn't something that I would get to if there was time, because then most days I would never get to it. Instead, other things worked around that. And I really credit exercise to my staying sane with all my work and busy schedule during college, too. So that's the best advice I can give :)
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This summer I had great success with MFP, going from 158 lbs down to 137. Now I'm at 142 lbs. (My goal is 120.)
    Great job!
    And it's driving me nuts! How can I keep my weight down? I neglect the app half the time, and on the weekends it's extremely difficult because of football games, tailgating, drunk munchies, binge drinking, etc.
    There is your problem. You don't have to binge drink. And you shouldn't binge drink. It's dangerous and stupid. Football and tailgating is just as much fun without acting like a drunk. I made it through college without getting drunk at a tailgate or football game even once and I had a great time.

(Granted, had I shown up drunk I would have been kicked out of the marching band, but that's not my point.)

Cut back on the booze and find some fun tail gate friends that don't drink like fish and that will help.
    And with a job and also 12 credits and being in a sorority, I can never find time to get to the gym! On the (possible) bright side, I don't live on campus anymore so I don't have a meal plan, but my issues are being stuck on campus all day and eating junk food between classes instead of being healthy. Anyone else in the same situation? Any advice? Any tips on how to stay sane, healthy, and lose weight?
    When I had a part time job, was taking 19 credit hours, lived off campus and was stuck on campus during the day I was at my healthiest weight ever! If I remember correctly, 12 hours is the minimum hours that you can take and still be considered "full time" at most colleges. Why are you taking just the minimum? Is your job full time?

As for the food, don't buy junk food to eat between classes. Take a healthy snack with you to class instead. Fruit, yogurt, granola, dry cereal, etc.

Plus, most colleges will let you have a meal plan if you live off campus--if you want one that is. I always had one, but when I lived off campus, I had the most minimal plan possible. I think my plan was for just 2-3 meals per week+ a re loadable dollar amount. So, if I wanted meal on campus (be it brunch, lunch or dinner), I still had options.

If you have 45 minutes or more, just head to the gym. That's what I did when I was an upperclassman. I had a 2 hour break in my day, three days each week. I'd head to the gym for 45-60 minutes, then grab a sandwich or salad for a leisurely lunch and then go back to class.

Also, when it comes time to pick your classes, take the time into account--and I don't just mean to pick the latest class of the day so that you can sleep in. Those 3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri) I had with the 2 hour lunch break ? Those were my marathon class days. I was in class from about 8:30 am to 7 or 8 pm at night. But, I only had 1-2 classes on Tuesday mornings and no classes on Thursday. So I worked most of my part time job hours on Tues, Thurs, and Sunday, and the odd Sat where there was an away game.

I can't speak to the sorority part as I never joined one. I know there are some good ones, but from what I could see most were just an excuse to get drunk and act like a freshman for all 4-5 years of college. Not my thing.

Take a step back and evaluate if your sorority is really helping you reach your goals or not. If it's hurting you instead of helping, you may want to make sure you cultivate healthier relationships outside of the Greek life to balance that.

Sometimes I wondered if I had too much to do when I was in college. After my first semester of freshman year, I never took less than 17 credit hours and I always had other activities or a part time time job on top of that. I rarely saw my roommates my senior year because I was so busy. But I found that the more I had on my plate--up to a point of course--the more I was forced to manage my time, and the happier I felt over all, and the better my grades were. As an independent adult in the "real world" I find that truth continues. When I'm bored I feel blue and ironically become less able to manage my time. In other words, the less I HAVE to do, the more I procrastinate. Conversely, when I can find that balance of busy enough to never be bored, but still have just enough time to relax with a good book or a movie with my hubby, then I'm happier and generally healthier.