Cried at my own reflection?

Options

Replies

• the_fat_monkey
    Options
    only thing is to keep working out and watch diet. It will go away.

really? really? REALLY?

It's genetic. I had it working out and watching my diet and 100 pounds

I never had it until I gained weight and neither did my Mom so maybe it's not all genes ;P
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I am the same height as you, and started out 6 years ago at the same weight that you are at now (I was around 25 years old). I had cellulite all the way from my butt to the back of my knees...HATED IT!!! I initially lost about 35 lbs and the cellulite diminished somewhat and it seemed to be higher up on my thighs, but it did not go away completely. Fast forward a few years, I started lifting weights and I lost most of the cellulite except for a little just below my butt. I could actually wear short shorts without fear of showing my lumps :laugh: Then...I got lazy again, put on about 10 lbs and it came back :blushing: cellulite halfway down my thighs and only "mom-length" shorts were acceptable this summer. I've now been lifting weights, eating right and doing some cardio for the past 9 weeks and it seems to be chasing the cellulite back up the legs, but it is a SLOW process. I will probably be shorts-ready by sometime next spring, hopefully :bigsmile: I will always have some cellulite, I will never be in a high cut bikini (not that I would wear one anyway), and my legs will NEVER be perfect. BUT, there is a huge improvement, and what I do can make a difference.

Anyway, moral of the story... I have been where you are now, and you have an advantage over me that makes a big difference...you are young! It's a struggle; you WILL have to exercise, you WILL have to lift weights, you WILL have to watch your diet, and you WILL have to lower your body fat percentage. You WILL see results. You legs may never be perfectly smooth and you may never have zero cellulite, but you WILL make a difference and that is really all we can ask for.

Good Luck and Happy Cellulite Fighting!

Thanks for this!!! I'll stick with my walking (with ankle weights now!) and my weight lifting! I hope my summer of 2014 my legs will look great!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree with another user about changing your username to something positive, lose the "fat" part. I have cellulite in my legs also but I notice that now that I have lost a little weight and my leg muscles are getting firmer from jogging and using exercise bike, that my cellulite is decreasing.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    only thing is to keep working out and watch diet. It will go away.
    Agree!
    After your shower, give yourself a little massage in that area with your lotion. It helps to bring circulation too/from those clogged tissues.
    Continue with your exercise and healthy eating routine.
    Don't punish yourself!
    Enjoy your fitness endeavor, and it will clear up.

I'll start massaging :)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's a great plan! For the first 35 lbs I lost, all I did was walk. I was on the treadmill every day for 30-60 minutes. I don't know if you walk on a treadmill or outside, but inclines (or hills) really help with intensity in walking when you can't run. Walking uphill really will get your heart rate higher.

I really believe that you will be successful if you stick to your plan.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    That's a great plan! For the first 35 lbs I lost, all I did was walk. I was on the treadmill every day for 30-60 minutes. I don't know if you walk on a treadmill or outside, but inclines (or hills) really help with intensity in walking when you can't run. Walking uphill really will get your heart rate higher.

I really believe that you will be successful if you stick to your plan.

I don't have a treadmill, can't afford one so I have to walk around in my huuuge backyard. No incline but I think ankle weights will suffice for intensity. I sure hope I can be as successful as you believe I will be! :smile:
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Haha. I'm 23, 191.5 pounds now. I started at 224 pounds. I've been big all of my life :) at 18 I was around 188 pounds. At 16 I was around 154. I've never really had much cellulite though. My sister, who has always been smaller than me, has a lot more cellulite than I have ever had. It really depends on the percentage of fat that is in your body. Eat healthier foods with less bad fat in it and you will get rid of the cellulite.
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    I feel your pain also 18 and 5'3" it does get better.. but the effort in and work those legs stay away from junk food and you will see after a while :)
  • a13xkd
    a13xkd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please don't give yourself a hard time! I train extremely hard and run 30 miles plus a week! I only started gettin cellulite when I was pregnant but as soon as start training did reduce! Unfortunately I also drink wine, way too much, even though am healthy in every other way, but hey a breakdown will do that to you! Unless you are planning to wear hot pants on a daily basis I really wouldn't worry! Only after a year of using MFP I am starting to realise us females give ourselves way too much grief about how we look and men really don't notice these things! But unfortunately shops o use horrendous lighting! Lol! Keep up Hun, remember your beautiful!!!!!!!
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, I had a bit of cellulite on my thighs. I worked on my legs almost exclusively for a couple of months to get them toned and it's been reduced dramatically!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're lucky, it'll go away. Mine will never go away unless I weigh like 90 pounds. And that ain't happenin' since I'd be horribly anorexic.

That's not true, I don't think. Lift weights and see :)

I am going to try that, actually! I've heard it can greatly help (though don't know anyone who's totally gotten rid of it)! It's worth a shot...
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Heredity plays a big part with cellulite, and my family is rife with it. It sucks! But I've found it greatly reduces and is hardly noticeable when I lift heavy. Back in the spring, i could barely see any at all. Then I got lazy, stopped working out, and gained weight and it's back. Sigh...

Look . cellulite is definitely hereditary .. I'm 5'4 and spent most my life weighing 105-110lbs.. (I quit smoking so now I'm 115 lbs) ..

I was a U.S. Marine on active duty for 8 years.. I had a kid .. and easily bounced back to my pre-pregnancy weight.. and I've ALWAYS had that cottage cheese crap .. cellulite! UGH!! I'm by no means an overweight person .. never was! Not even now. I've always eaten healthy .. and yes .. I have my sugar and alcohol .. but that's not the only thing keeping that cellulite there.

Now .. to minimize the appearance .. and this does help .. is watching your weight and eating healthy. you can be very lean and it NOT show at all .. however .. the moment you get lazy .. and slack off .. it's back. Sorry .. that's the blatant ugly truth.

The only way to truly and ultimately be rid of those fat cells that cause it.. is to have them surgically removed (liposuction). I DO NOT recommend this ..

you CAN keep the fat cells from storing the extra energy (bloating up), etc.. with regular exercise and healthy eating. As you get older.. it gets harder to keep in check.

I'm 46 years old .. I can still look pretty good .. as long as I watch it. If I get lazy . well .. there's the cottage cheese that seems to show up pretty quick .. even if I don't technically gain weight.

Trust me .. I'm "skinny fat" .. c'mon .. 5'4 and I have belly fat to contend with at 115 lbs?? I don't look anything like Julian Michaels.... but I'm not fat nor do I ever qualify as looking overweight. ... but it's certainly not "ideal" for Shape or Fitness magazine .. LOL

I'm good with me .. I like me .. and I'm working hard to eliminate the "skinny fat" crap .. but not trying to look like a competition body builder ..

I take my one day a week off to eat and drink like I enjoy .. and I still don't eat and drink up all the calories I banked during the week by eating under my daily goal :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If you're lucky, it'll go away. Mine will never go away unless I weigh like 90 pounds. And that ain't happenin' since I'd be horribly anorexic.

That's not true, I don't think. Lift weights and see :)

I am going to try that, actually! I've heard it can greatly help (though don't know anyone who's totally gotten rid of it)! It's worth a shot...

That's what most people here say so I'm hoping that it helps me and you!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Heredity plays a big part with cellulite, and my family is rife with it. It sucks! But I've found it greatly reduces and is hardly noticeable when I lift heavy. Back in the spring, i could barely see any at all. Then I got lazy, stopped working out, and gained weight and it's back. Sigh...

Look . cellulite is definitely hereditary .. I'm 5'4 and spent most my life weighing 105-110lbs.. (I quit smoking so now I'm 115 lbs) ..

I was a U.S. Marine on active duty for 8 years.. I had a kid .. and easily bounced back to my pre-pregnancy weight.. and I've ALWAYS had that cottage cheese crap .. cellulite! UGH!! I'm by no means an overweight person .. never was! Not even now. I've always eaten healthy .. and yes .. I have my sugar and alcohol .. but that's not the only thing keeping that cellulite there.

Now .. to minimize the appearance .. and this does help .. is watching your weight and eating healthy. you can be very lean and it NOT show at all .. however .. the moment you get lazy .. and slack off .. it's back. Sorry .. that's the blatant ugly truth.

The only way to truly and ultimately be rid of those fat cells that cause it.. is to have them surgically removed (liposuction). I DO NOT recommend this ..

you CAN keep the fat cells from storing the extra energy (bloating up), etc.. with regular exercise and healthy eating. As you get older.. it gets harder to keep in check.

I'm 46 years old .. I can still look pretty good .. as long as I watch it. If I get lazy . well .. there's the cottage cheese that seems to show up pretty quick .. even if I don't technically gain weight.

Trust me .. I'm "skinny fat" .. c'mon .. 5'4 and I have belly fat to contend with at 115 lbs?? I don't look anything like Julian Michaels.... but I'm not fat nor do I ever qualify as looking overweight. ... but it's certainly not "ideal" for Shape or Fitness magazine .. LOL

I'm good with me .. I like me .. and I'm working hard to eliminate the "skinny fat" crap .. but not trying to look like a competition body builder ..

I take my one day a week off to eat and drink like I enjoy .. and I still don't eat and drink up all the calories I banked during the week by eating under my daily goal :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Perhaps genes are part of it and in my genetics we gain it after we gain weight. Because my Mom never had it until she gained about 10 pounds, and neither did I until I put on these 20 pounds. I'll definitely stick with the losing weight and lifting weights and reducing fat. I don't do "lazy" with exercise though! I've been exercising for a year straight without getting lazy about it so no worries there :) At least, for now.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I'm 23, I had a bit of cellulite on my thighs. I worked on my legs almost exclusively for a couple of months to get them toned and it's been reduced dramatically!

I'll definitely focus mostly on my legs. They are my trouble spots after all with my saddlebags too...
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Please don't give yourself a hard time! I train extremely hard and run 30 miles plus a week! I only started gettin cellulite when I was pregnant but as soon as start training did reduce! Unfortunately I also drink wine, way too much, even though am healthy in every other way, but hey a breakdown will do that to you! Unless you are planning to wear hot pants on a daily basis I really wouldn't worry! Only after a year of using MFP I am starting to realise us females give ourselves way too much grief about how we look and men really don't notice these things! But unfortunately shops o use horrendous lighting! Lol! Keep up Hun, remember your beautiful!!!!!!!

Thank you for this :)
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just to have a different take on cellulite :tongue:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reclaim-your-cellulite/476741615684744?ref=hl

Not AT ALL saying we shouldn't eat healthy and exercise, but cellulite is really not worth our tears :flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So today I went to the store to get some pants. The last time I went shopping for pants I was 20 pounds lighter but it wasn't the bigger size that made me hate my reflection. I know that 145 at 5'3" is technically "overweight" but I'm alright with my size to a degree. I don't hate my reflection because of my size. What upset me and is bugging me right now is all the cellulite I saw!!! I've seen my reflection at home plenty of times but the light in my bathroom is a bit dim so it never looks half as bad as it did there! I'm 18 years old and my legs look horrible! I never had cellulite before and my Mom only recently got some after she gained some weight. So, maybe my weight gain caused it but I don't know if I'll lose it when I lose weight. I've always wanted to wear short shorts and I thought I could after I lost some weight, but I just can't see that happening now!! :sad:

I'm cutting out all junk food besides a small treat here and there (every 2 - 3 weeks if I'm craving something --- and keeping it small). I'm gonna start eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water.

For exercise, I already do weighted squats and lunges, of various types, too. I lift weights 30 minutes 3x a week and walk at a fast pace for 35 - 45 minutes 5x a week. I can't do anything too intense because of my asthma and a knee condition I have.

Is there ANYTHING I can do!? I don't want creams and silly products either. I can't buy that kind of stuff and I don't want anyone in my family knowing about this issue....They'd laugh. So please, anyone have any advice? Has anyone seen any results themselves?

Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and you will lose the fat. The problem for women is the shape of the fat cells are kind of blocky (men don't have the same shape cells) and some fat cells are half way filled so are halfway collapsed, so it causes the lumpy cottage cheese look. As you lose the fat you will lose this. I'm 5'1" and I weighed 171 lbs a few years ago. I lost 60 lbs at age 50 and I'm still maintaining at almost 52. I had a lot of this cellulite as well and it went away as the fat went away. I'm currently about 120 lbs, I was down to 109 in most of my profile pictures, but I've done a lot of recomposition in my body since I lift heavy weights and vary my routine a lot. You can't see the cellulite anymore but if I pinched some of the little fat that is left you would see it.

I would encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

It will make your body pretty for when the fat is gone.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is an issue find most of the women. Go for the Health diet. Drink plenty of water. Do some Exercise like swimming, walking, stair stepping and even dancing will facilitate burn calories and these exercises can help remove cellulite from the legs. You’ll do any exercise that increase muscle and burn calories.

Try cellulite massages. The treatment is fairly easy and is way sort of a normal massage. You need to apply a moderate to heavy pressure to the cellulite area, using the palms, fingers and or knuckles to firmly massage the area. The massage can increase blood circulation permitting the body to scrub out the toxins victimization the bodies natural waste system.

http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/cellulite-creams
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    So today I went to the store to get some pants. The last time I went shopping for pants I was 20 pounds lighter but it wasn't the bigger size that made me hate my reflection. I know that 145 at 5'3" is technically "overweight" but I'm alright with my size to a degree. I don't hate my reflection because of my size. What upset me and is bugging me right now is all the cellulite I saw!!! I've seen my reflection at home plenty of times but the light in my bathroom is a bit dim so it never looks half as bad as it did there! I'm 18 years old and my legs look horrible! I never had cellulite before and my Mom only recently got some after she gained some weight. So, maybe my weight gain caused it but I don't know if I'll lose it when I lose weight. I've always wanted to wear short shorts and I thought I could after I lost some weight, but I just can't see that happening now!! :sad:

I'm cutting out all junk food besides a small treat here and there (every 2 - 3 weeks if I'm craving something --- and keeping it small). I'm gonna start eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water.

For exercise, I already do weighted squats and lunges, of various types, too. I lift weights 30 minutes 3x a week and walk at a fast pace for 35 - 45 minutes 5x a week. I can't do anything too intense because of my asthma and a knee condition I have.

Is there ANYTHING I can do!? I don't want creams and silly products either. I can't buy that kind of stuff and I don't want anyone in my family knowing about this issue....They'd laugh. So please, anyone have any advice? Has anyone seen any results themselves?

Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and you will lose the fat. The problem for women is the shape of the fat cells are kind of blocky (men don't have the same shape cells) and some fat cells are half way filled so are halfway collapsed, so it causes the lumpy cottage cheese look. As you lose the fat you will lose this. I'm 5'1" and I weighed 171 lbs a few years ago. I lost 60 lbs at age 50 and I'm still maintaining at almost 52. I had a lot of this cellulite as well and it went away as the fat went away. I'm currently about 120 lbs, I was down to 109 in most of my profile pictures, but I've done a lot of recomposition in my body since I lift heavy weights and vary my routine a lot. You can't see the cellulite anymore but if I pinched some of the little fat that is left you would see it.

I would encourage you to start a beginner weight lifting routine. Just 3 days a week. Why?

It will make your body pretty for when the fat is gone.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Girls, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are a girl you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Thank you for this. I am doing strength training, and 3 times a week. Unfortunately I'm rather limited on how heavy I can go because right now I can't afford to get any heavier weights and I can't go to a gym. I am using ankle weights and a backpack that weighs about 23 pounds for some added resistance though. I'll stick with it, and hope by next fall there's a change. Thank you.