Cheat Days???

Options
Hi all,
I've seen some posts on here regarding cheat days and am hoping for a little more info. :huh: Is it something we are supposed to be doing or just a suggestion to break the monotony? How often are we supposed to be doing it? Is it a reward? I was going to give myself non-food rewards for every 25 lbs lost, but am nervous about this whole cheat day idea because I have a history of binge eating & don't want to undo a month's work in one day. Any info/guidance would be welcome!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Some people do, some people don't.

The idea is that once a week you eat at maintenance or slightly above (many don't track the day, but should to prevent going too overboard).

It serves as a psychological tool to help keep from feeling like you're ALWAYS dieting.

Physiologically, it can ward off plateauing due to stress levels generated from constant calorie deficits.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Here's a link with lots of info.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cheat+days
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you...for some people, they need to avoid cheat days because they'll "fall off the wagon" so to speak. For others, they need them or they'll become overwhelmed by the strict eating habits and will give up. For me, I try to have a cheat meal/day about once a week...whenever I really want something that doesn't fit my goals or I just can't stop being hungry. If I'm just hungry, I'll try to go over calories with healthy foods. This has worked for me and makes it feel more like something I can sustain for life as opposed to eating on a strict however many calories for the rest of my life.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Some people do, some people don't.

The idea is that once a week you eat at maintenance or slightly above (many don't track the day, but should to prevent going too overboard).

It serves as a psychological tool to help keep from feeling like you're ALWAYS dieting.

Physiologically, it can ward off plateauing due to stress levels generated from constant calorie deficits.

All of this.

So, if you find out what your maintenance level is, you can still track that day and not go over that level of calories if it helps ward off binging.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's kinda a curbing of cravings, and a day to take a deep breath and enjoy yourself. Some swear off them, wanting a steady, constant weight control, others swear by them. Others just take them as they come. Wise to keep it once a week, though.

Cheat days isn't neccessarily a 'pack on the calories' day, but to relax your requirements. Even if you eat 3x the amount you are supposed to take in, the fluxuation is temporary at best.

I don't see these day as 'rewards', more like a 'break', like when you're exercising, sometimes you just need to stop, get some fresh air before getting back to it. Some of us find cheat days similar. A way to ease the strain, or perhaps to enjoy that nice bacon burger they been craving all week, or perhaps a day to 'just not give a care' and enjoy yourself. Whatever way you put it, it helps, in my opinion, to take that breath of fresh air now and then. You'll take care of it the rest of your days.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day from time to time, but cheat day is kind of a bad term for in my mind (at least for what I do). I do it to keep my body from getting used to having roughly the same number of calories day to day; I do a low and high day. My high day is just a day where I don't have a calorie deficit. If my body would normally burn 1800 calories, and to lose weight I would eat between 1200 and 1500 calories, my cheat day is just eatting up to the 1800 point. I do this every week, and then about once a month I will really go over by about 1000 (for me 2800 calories). Finding out what works for you is the key!
  • SamanthaJoMc
    Options
    Ive heard that it tricks your body out of thinking youre starving and hitting a plateau. Ive been told to only do it once you actually hit your plateau for one day go over your calorie limit... i wouldnt go past 1 thousand more.. and then the next day go back to your diet. track your weight a week later.
  • veschrim
    veschrim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Bess!
    My advise? Dont do it! My best friend and I started this journey together almost two months ago. Last sunday we took her son to the circus and it was plastered everywhere on facebook that it was "national dessert day" Wonderful,right? Anyway we decided to take a day off I mean after all we have went almost two months without ice cream...cotton candy..sodas.. pretzles the list of what we ate that day goes on and onnnn. We felt like complete CRAP monday and I weighed this morning...And I have been the same weight for tha past three weeks...not anymore. :/ This week has been so horrible for my motivation. Although I have still been working out like normal. I am a small girl to begin with but I am currently preparing for a modeling convention in july. So even .5 of a lb is devistating to me. (sorry I digress) back to your "cheat days" Deciding to be healthy and lose weight isnt just a "fad" you can go through. It is a life changing decision. Sunday I realized that those foods werent as satisfying as they used to be and I regret eating them. Stick to your good eating. I know that sucks to hear but you will feel so so super wonderful about yourself. Good luck!! :D
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from your diet is helpful from a physiological and psychological perspective. It can be done in the form of a cheat day, a cheat meal, eating at maintenance for an entire week or longer, etc.

Since you have a history of binging, Allowing yourself a day completely free of any controls may not be the best idea for you. I would recommend taking a week or so off of dieting and allow yourself a few hundred more calories per day; make sure you eat some of your favorite foods that you haven't had in a while.

I used to do weekly cheat half-days, but I have such a large appetite that eventually I ended up undoing a week's worth of calorie deficit all at once, so I don't do that anymore.
  • GiggityGiggity88
    GiggityGiggity88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I was only eating 900 cals a day and exercising about 45 min everyday. I was always starving and had frequent headaches. My hair started falling out and my mom made me go to the doctor.

But, Sundays were my "cheat days", and I would pretty much binge all day. And even though I was only eating 900 cals a day, 6 days a week, the binge day made it so that I was only losing 2 lbs a week, so I figured that it was still a healthy loss, and that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Well, those cheat days are what inevitably lead me to the binge eating disorder that I have now. And needless to say, I gained all that weight back, pretty much instantly.

I don't recommend cheat days unless you're good with self control. I'm obviously not.
  • katesbeach
    katesbeach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! It all depends on what's going to keep you going. I'm just getting back on the wagon after a long time away, but when I was really actively losing weight, I'd give myself a day off every week or every other week, depending. I tried to plan it around social events where I didn't want to worry about counting, or sometimes I just wanted to indulge a craving. For me personally, it didn't work to keep myself to my calorie limit all day, every day. Losing weight didn't work for me if I said "I'm never eating Chinese food again" or "I'm never drinking beer again." Having a day off once in a while doesn't have to be cheating. Just know your limits, and make sure you can get right back on track the next day! Good luck!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "cheat" since I don't consider this a diet, more a lifestyle change I don't consider anything I do to be cheating. Every decision I make toward a healthier lifestyle is a success. I try to cut out processed foods, fast foods, refined sugars, processed carbs, etc. However I'm not going to go my entire life without ever eating pizza again, so waiting until I'm at my goal weight to eat it would be crazy. Same with nachos lol. So when presented with the urge to splurge, this is what I do: moderation! Hubby desperately wanted Arby's after probably at least four months without it. Instead of getting a large combo meal with large sandwich, large curly fries & large lemonade (old me) I got a sandwich wrapped in lettuce with tomato no bun and a side salad, with water. I didn't feel deprived at all, I stayed within my calorie goal, and my pie chart didn't look too bad either. Best part? I didn't feel like crap the other day like I hear many day after their "cheat days"... Good luck making your decision on what works best for you! ????

P.S. I haven't had a plateau of more than a week (which I DO NOT consider an actual plateau) in the 4+ months I've been tracking my macros. I've only had 2 days of being over my calories during that time.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "cheat" since I don't consider this a diet, more a lifestyle change I don't consider anything I do to be cheating. Every decision I make toward a healthier lifestyle is a success. I try to cut out processed foods, fast foods, refined sugars, processed carbs, etc. However I'm not going to go my entire life without ever eating pizza again, so waiting until I'm at my goal weight to eat it would be crazy. Same with nachos lol. So when presented with the urge to splurge, this is what I do: moderation! Hubby desperately wanted Arby's after probably at least four months without it. Instead of getting a large combo meal with large sandwich, large curly fries & large lemonade (old me) I got a sandwich wrapped in lettuce with tomato no bun and a side salad, with water. I didn't feel deprived at all, I stayed within my calorie goal, and my pie chart didn't look too bad either. Best part? I didn't feel like crap the other day like I hear many day after their "cheat days"... Good luck making your decision on what works best for you! ????

P.S. I haven't had a plateau of more than a week (which I DO NOT consider an actual plateau) in the 4+ months I've been tracking my macros. I've only had 2 days of being over my calories during that time.

Amen to that; you put how I feel into words! Thank you!
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    5 days on, 2 days off. That's my motto.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I save my exercise calories for the weekend so I can eat what I want within reason on Saturdays and have a few drinks.

Does that mean Saturday is my cheat day? I dunno, the term seems to mean different depending who you ask...
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Im not dieting to lose weight ~ I am making a life style change and will be doing this for the rest of my life. I eat my food calories every day (and I'm still way under most days), and I never log my exercise calories. And once a week, Wednesdays are my cheat days where I dont "have" to track anything and if I want fried chicken and wine for breakfast lunch and dinner, I'll do it. But I dont. I can't half of the time if I really want to because it just doesnt satisfy me like it used to. Its almost like my cheat days keep me in check.
  • tonidominguez
    Options
    My sister uses her Monday - Friday work week to stay as strict as she can with her food intake, and on her weekends she allows herself some pleasures so that she does not feel as though she's punishing herself using food as the whip. As for me, I already know what my abilities are and having free days will always be a set up for failure for me...been down that road a few times. But, I am choosing to eat whatever I want without breaking the calorie intake and working really good right now with portion control. I think that those whom find it workable with free days I think it's awesome!!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I like how you posted it. I also have been a binge eater, lots of food, sometimes on the hour. MFP really made me think of my calories. I'm 41 pounds down from when I started, 34 to go. I was stricter earlier on, bot only because my fitness level is much improved. My wife is on this with me, so that extra support means a lot! Now, we look at days we want to indulge and combined it with an increase in exercise.

I may be just a little more than 1/2 way to my goal, but my ability to do physical exercise has rapidly grown. If I indulge/cheat without the extra exercise though, it leaves me feeling off.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Its more of a case that everyone can afford a cheat day, more so than everyone should have one. When I started this journey I was so strict during the week with the foods I was eating, that the Cheat day was good and I had it every week and still lost.

Closer to my goal I try to stay away, as they just turn into 3 day binges, which although easilly reversed, its a waste of a week or two. My cheating now is just eating more and working out harder.