NSV ---- C2K OMG

Options
ajfc1971
ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
DEERRRRR MISSED OUT THE 5 IN THE TITLE LOL ANYHOWS I started the C25K a few months ago and have been on and off this. Even when I was mega fit, an aerobics instructor or in the armed forces I have never enjoyed running.
I haven't kept to the program religously I have tweeked it to my own way. Keeping the running at 2min level max. Then on Saturday I went to a dinner dance and used the gym in the hotel in the afternoon. I thought lets give this a go and see how long you can run for. After the warm up I completed 15mins yes 15 whole minutes. I couldn't believe it thought I might of been able to go for longer but the machine (thankfully) only allowed 20mins slots. I know some people can run marthons no problem but for me 2 months ago I was struggling to run for 1 minute without stopping. I am know doing my run nearly every morning before work even if I cannot fit anything else in. Hopefully in the not to distance future I will be able to do the whole 5K without stopping :-)))

Replies

• MariahHubert
    MariahHubert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I was having a hard time with C25k because it got really hard to breathe but I went to my doctor and she put me on an inhaler and told me to use it before I run and it made such a huge difference today!
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You're going to be running the full 5k in no time, I promise you. It's great that you've figured out how to fit it in before you start your work day. Having a plan is half the I started the C25K program sometime in August. I did about three days a week but sometimes let a few extra days pass before coming back to it. Anyway, I was supposed to start week 6 this week, but instead I've decided I am finished the program. Why? Because I don't need it anymore. I ran my 2nd full 5k today and am therefore going to start focusing on getting faster. If I can do it, anyone can because I still weigh over 200 pounds and never really like running before this. Keep going!

Sending you a friend request!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, I just completed c25k w2d3 yesterday. I think I need to repeat week 2 this week. I am doing the program to work on my pace. My personal best for 5k is just under 37 minutes, with c25k I'm only getting 2.25 miles in on average, but I know it's improving my pace, endurance & overall training! Good luck in your journey!!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Job well done!!! You had the right mind set. Stay postive, stay focused and you will be able to accomplish whatever you set out to accomplish!! I have learned that my mind holds me back way more than my body does. I mentally have to tell myself that my body can do it. Keep on going!!!!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!

I'm in the midst of Week 7 - 25 minutes running, and I was so excited a couple of weeks ago when I did 20 minutes straight! In some ways, I like the longer no-break runs because I just get in the groove and know that I'm going until I'm done rather than counting down to the next walk break!! Keep up the great work!
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
    It's great when you get to see dedication pay off big like that!
    Keep it up, you're doing great!!!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I hated running too - most days I'm still not fond of it. But it was the C25K that had me testing myself and proving I *could* do it. For me running is 70% mental, 30% physical. If your head is in the game the rest will fall into place.

You don't have to run marathons or long distances to understand what an accomplishment you have achieved. Keep it up!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great job! I go off/on with C25K. My phone broke and I was out of it so I just tried to see how long I could run without stopping last night. I don't think I did quite 15 minutes so that is pretty awesome! Keep it up! You will get to that 5k. And if you ever sign up for a race and do one they are really thrilling. For some reason it seems like you are more motivated when you are wearing that racing bib than just on your daily runs. LOL
  • changeinme67
    Options
    Congrats, that is a great accomplishment. I remember when I first started using the couch to 5 k I couldn't even run from my house to the corner. Now I have done 2 half marathons and many 5 k's. Keep it up you'll get it. Just remember when your mind tells you to stop that's when you push the extra you have in you.I still have days that when I walk outside I think to myself what the he&@ was I thinking.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    I turn 50 this year. A few years ago I did the c25k and struggled with it tremendously. Running for 2 minutes was a HUGE DEAL!! Now I can run for an hour straight...5-6 miles at a time with ease. I'll be training for my first 1/2 marathon starting in November. You can do it. I will tell you this. Add in strength training and start building muscle (arms, legs, & core). Your cardio will be more effective, you'll burn more fat, it will help you in your running and you'll be leaner!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!