water confession

ractayjon
ractayjon Posts: 365
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a confession - I dont drink my water.
I dont drink the recommended 8 glasses a day.
I do drink about 2 water bottles (Poland spring regular size) during and after exercise.
But other then that I dont drink my water.
I dont drink anything really - sometimes I have a glass of Lipton "diet" iced tea - but rarely, sometimes I drink hot tea.
Im losing weight - Im down 14.5 pounds since the beginning of the year...so it doesnt seem to be hurting me.
Thoughts?

Replies

• sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    WATER IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOUR BODY AND FOR YOUR ORGANS AND IT HELPS WITH MAINTAINING THE ELASTICITY OF THE SKIN AS YOU LOSE WEIGHT.. You really need to work on drinking my water during the day.

Here is some information from the following website:

http://www.spartafit.com/nutrition/water.php

Water

Water is clearly the most important nutrient and the most abundant substance in the human body. Water comprises about three quarters of the human mass and is a major component in every cell. In addition water is important to human health for many reasons including but not limited to the following:

• Water is needed to separate (by a process called hydrolysis) a phosphate group from adenosine triphosphate (ATP) or guanosine triphosphate (GTP) to get energy as illustrated by the following equations.

ATP +H2O = Energy + ADP + Inorganic Phosphate
    GTP +H2O = Energy + GDP + Inorganic Phosphate

All energy from food is used to generate ATP or GTP before its energy can be used by the human body, which makes water crucial to all energy usage by the human body.

Water is the containing medium for electrolytes and all other ions throughout the human body.

Some of these ions help to form electrical pathways for nerve functions.

Being 2% dehydrated can seriously degrade physical and mental functions.

Being 15% dehydrated is likely to be lethal.

Unlike vitamin deficiencies which can take weeks to make someone ill, a water deficiency can kill in days or even hours.

Water is also very important for removing toxins from the human body. The body has four major ways of removing toxins which are:

Bowels
    Urination
    Perspiration
    Processing of toxins by the liver

The first three of these four methods directly excrete water from the body. When dehydrated, the body will try to save water by minimizing the use of the first three functions and will force the liver to assume as much of the workload as possible. This extra work will place a heavy burden on the liver which still has other functions in addition to detoxification. Even then, the liver by itself will not be able to do all that work very efficiently and toxins will build up rapidly.

Water is also important to fitness and fat loss for several reasons including the following:

Water fills us up without adding any calories.
    Dehydration will degrade a person’s ability to exercise and burn calories.
    Dehydration will reduce protein synthesis which is needed to build or repair muscles.

It is normally recommended to drink about 2 to 3 quarts of water per day. However, this will vary with the size and activity level of the person as well as with the climate conditions. Either case, if your urine is bright yellow, then you need to drink more water. Also, anyone who exercises nonstop for more than 1 hour should consider replacing electrolytes along with the water. This is to avoid hyponatremia (depleted sodium) or other forms of severe electrolyte depletion which can be dangerous.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    i dont either
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I just drank my first 2 glasses of water right now. *smacks hand for being naughty*
    I have gone through GOOD periods where I drank my water.

I can tell when I am drinking enough water. My skin clears, my body feels better. I am less hungry, and I swear, I am less cranky (ha!).

You may not be hurting your weight loss but you are missing great benefits to your body by not drinking any water.
  • Water never even reaches the skin, it is a proven fact. It will make you feel better. It will make you be less dehydrated which in turns makes you weigh less, it will make your body function better and allow you to use more energy when you work out. So it is still a good idea to drink it.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    That's all I drink during the day :drinker: I do drink more on days I workout as well. I really don't count how much I drink. I just keep a glass of ice water on the kitchen counter and when I'm home I drink it almost everytime I walk by it. As for the "water not reaching the skin" thing, I don't know if I can agree with that. I wasn't drinking enough water for a very long time. Once I started, with in a week my face was no longer dry and my skin didn't feel like it was going to rip apart when I stretched. For me it works... but then again I don't think about it durning the day, it's just something I do.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I have a confession - I dont drink my water.
    I dont drink the recommended 8 glasses a day.
    I do drink about 2 water bottles (Poland spring regular size) during and after exercise.
    But other then that I dont drink my water.
    I dont drink anything really - sometimes I have a glass of Lipton "diet" iced tea - but rarely, sometimes I drink hot tea.
    Im losing weight - Im down 14.5 pounds since the beginning of the year...so it doesnt seem to be hurting me.
    Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm pretty bad about it too. It's part habit and part that I just don't like the stuff for the most part. I can actually TASTE the chemicals and sediments and all that yuck. The only one I've found that I can remotely be interested in is FIJI. I've just gotten some "on the go" lemonade crystal light. that will help, I think.

and as far as the poster that suggested 15% dehydration can be deadly - either my hydration scale is wrong or I'm dead. My hydration is around 55%. I have a new goal - because like the others said, it has alot of bennies - water may or may not reach the skin as far as it clearing, but it does clean your system of toxins which can and do rise to the skin surface, decreased signs of aging (ever use a hydration patch under your eyes for circles or wrinkles? ever wonder why they appear to work?) If you want your muscles to work at their maximum capacity (and you do!), you gotta' free them of the yuck that's accumulated from our polluted air, polluted food and generally polluted lifestyles. Guess what does that best?

Of course, I'm aware I'm being a bit of a hypocrite. I will be working on changing that. Care to join me? :-)
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    I have been bad about drinking water
    but lately(within the last 3 weeks) i have been drinking more water shooting for at least a liter and a half but ihave been using crystal light pakages too because our water tastes funny somtimes and i dont always buy bottled water.. but i feel better drinking it i have stayed away from pop and im starting to feel fuller after eating little amounts of food.. and im finally starting to see some weight loss!!! So if you dont like to drink plain water try adding somthing to it :smile:
  • I am usually good drinking my water but today I said no. Today I have had OJ, Diet Soda for lunch and two bottles of diet soda this afternoon. I will even have diet soda for dinner. It is just a mood but I guess I am still getting water, just with extra sodium. Tomorrow I will be back on water early and then I will stop because I need to drive 4 hours. Here comes another unstructured weekend.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    I really didn't like water for many years. My soda-drinking habit came from that. The soda made me crave more sugar, more salt, more soda, etc. I had to start drinking iced tea, then work my way down to ice water with lemon. I even made a custom food, "HomeMade - Lemon Water," so that I could be mindful of the extra 10-15 calories and 20mg of sodium from the lemons. Accountability ftw!

Now I go through 4 or 5 lemons every week week, but I drink 8-10 glasses of water every day and I FEEL better. I get fewer migraines, I get more work done at my desk, I'm more alert and cheerful. I notice I'm not globbing on moisturizer and hand lotion. I don't crave as many salty, sugary or fatty foods. I'm also getting over colds more quickly than I used to.

Water is just good for you. You should try to drink as much as your body is comfortable with, as much as you can talk yourself into.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    As for the "water not reaching the skin" thing, I don't know if I can agree with that. I wasn't drinking enough water for a very long time. Once I started, with in a week my face was no longer dry and my skin didn't feel like it was going to rip apart when I stretched.

When I drink my water, my skin clears up and I require less lotion (less ashy). *shrug* I know nothing of the science of water.

But wait.... what is sweat? Doesn't it involve water? How could sweat happen if water couldn't reach your skin?

(I sound like my 4 year old daughter with these questions! lol)
  • i'm the complete opposite. i drink at least 120 ounces by the time i get home from work (4pm). then another 60+ ounces from the time i get home until i go to bed! :drinker:

and those are the days i don't exercise, i drink even more if i exercise that day!
  • Its not that I dont like water -- I actually do - I just dont drink much of anything....
    Ok...thats my new "goal" - drink my water.....
    Im going to start with 64 ounces a day (that old 8 glasses) and see what happens...who knows maybe I will float away....
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    WATER IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR YOUR BODY AND FOR YOUR ORGANS AND IT HELPS WITH MAINTAINING THE ELASTICITY OF THE SKIN AS YOU LOSE WEIGHT.. You really need to work on drinking my water during the day.

Here is some information from the following website:

http://www.spartafit.com/nutrition/water.php

Water

Water is clearly the most important nutrient and the most abundant substance in the human body. Water comprises about three quarters of the human mass and is a major component in every cell. In addition water is important to human health for many reasons including but not limited to the following:

• Water is needed to separate (by a process called hydrolysis) a phosphate group from adenosine triphosphate (ATP) or guanosine triphosphate (GTP) to get energy as illustrated by the following equations.

ATP +H2O = Energy + ADP + Inorganic Phosphate
    GTP +H2O = Energy + GDP + Inorganic Phosphate

All energy from food is used to generate ATP or GTP before its energy can be used by the human body, which makes water crucial to all energy usage by the human body.

Water is the containing medium for electrolytes and all other ions throughout the human body.

Some of these ions help to form electrical pathways for nerve functions.

Being 2% dehydrated can seriously degrade physical and mental functions.

Being 15% dehydrated is likely to be lethal.

Unlike vitamin deficiencies which can take weeks to make someone ill, a water deficiency can kill in days or even hours.

Water is also very important for removing toxins from the human body. The body has four major ways of removing toxins which are:

Bowels
    Urination
    Perspiration
    Processing of toxins by the liver

The first three of these four methods directly excrete water from the body. When dehydrated, the body will try to save water by minimizing the use of the first three functions and will force the liver to assume as much of the workload as possible. This extra work will place a heavy burden on the liver which still has other functions in addition to detoxification. Even then, the liver by itself will not be able to do all that work very efficiently and toxins will build up rapidly.

Water is also important to fitness and fat loss for several reasons including the following:

Water fills us up without adding any calories.
    Dehydration will degrade a person’s ability to exercise and burn calories.
    Dehydration will reduce protein synthesis which is needed to build or repair muscles.

It is normally recommended to drink about 2 to 3 quarts of water per day. However, this will vary with the size and activity level of the person as well as with the climate conditions. Either case, if your urine is bright yellow, then you need to drink more water. Also, anyone who exercises nonstop for more than 1 hour should consider replacing electrolytes along with the water. This is to avoid hyponatremia (depleted sodium) or other forms of severe electrolyte depletion which can be dangerous.
    First off, I'll say I'm an avid proponent of drinking a ton of water every day... I personally do it myself.

But if we look at the facts that were presented here... "dehydration" as far as this post is concerned refers to minimum amounts of water required, not optimum. Being 15% dehydrated doesn't mean you don't drink your water one day or two, it means out in a desert where your organs don't have the basics to function.

As to the elasticity, she's losing like 19 pounds or so, that probably isn't as much a problem as it was for say... I don't know, me? :laugh:

I would still say drink your water, or at least something. Not giving your body liquids can't be doing it any good at all... What would it hurt to keep a bottle or cup of water on your desk or anywhere and just sip it all day? Good luck.
  • Sweat is your bodies way to cool itself down. This in itself does not hydrate your skin or make it more elastic, or whatever (elasticity in your genes). I don't doubt at all you have a better complexion when you do drink water. A hydrated person is a happy person so they say and I think emotion and stress can have a lot to do with your skin.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Its not that I dont like water -- I actually do - I just dont drink much of anything....
    Ok...thats my new "goal" - drink my water.....
    Im going to start with 64 ounces a day (that old 8 glasses) and see what happens...who knows maybe I will float away....

I am the same way as you. I don’t drink much of anything and that goes for water too. I am pushing myself to get to at least 8 cups a day and the only way I can do it is drinking out of a 16oz water bottle, but even then, I am literally forcing myself.

At dinner or out at a restaurant – I end up only drinking about 4 ounces of whatever I ordered so I understand the whole thing about not being much of a drinker. I don’t drink as much water as most people but still managed to lose weight also. I don’t know that drinking water has a direct effect on weight loss but it definitely is helpful for your body in general.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    These things here should be reason enough to drink lots of water:

Lose weight: Drinking water helps you lose weight because it flushes down the by-products of fat breakdown. Drinking water reduces hunger, it’s an effective appetite suppressant so you’ll eat less. Plus, water has zero calories. Here are the further details on how to achieve fat loss by drinking water.

Natural Remedy for Headache: Helps to relieve headache and back pains due to dehydration. Although there are many other reasons contribute to headache, dehydration is the common one.

Look Younger with Healthier Skin: You’ll look younger when your skin is properly hydrated. Water helps to replenish skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.

Better Productivity at Work: Your brain is mostly made up of water, thus drinking water helps you think better, be more alert and more concentrate.

Better Exercise: Drinking water regulates your body temperature. You’ll feel more energetic when doing exercises and water helps to fuel your muscle.

Helps in Digestion and Constipation: Drinking water raises your metabolism because it helps in digestion. Fiber and water goes hand in hand so that you can have your daily bowel movement.

Less Cramps and Sprains: Proper hydration helps keep your joints and muscles lubricated, so you’ll less likely get cramps and sprains.

Less Likely to Get Sick and Feel Healthy: Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu and other ailments like kidney stones and heart attack. Water adds with lemon is used for ailments like respiratory disease, intestinal problems, rheumatism and arthritis etc. Another words one of the benefits of drinking water can improve our immune system. Follow this link for further information on how lemon water can improve your health.

Relieves Fatigue: Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body. If your body lacks of water, your heart, for instance, need to work harder to pump out the oxygenated blood to all cells, so are the rest of the vital organs, your organs will be exhausted and so are you.

Good Mood: Your body fells very good that’s why you soul feels happy.

Reduce the Risk of Cancer: Related to the digestive system, some studies show that drinking a healthy amount of water may reduce the risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Water dilutes the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shortens the time in which they are in contact with bladder lining.
This discussion has been closed.