How many ounces in a boneless skinless chicken breast FILLET

Options
I always buy the fresh prepacked boneless skinless chicken breast fillets and I keep forgetting to check how many ounces are in a pack of the four fillets and I am clueless as to about how many ounces are in one fillet (these are the breasts that are cut in half lengthwise so they are thinner.... anyone know?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If they are a preportioned to a standard, it's 4 oz. If not, who knows, you'd have to weight them. If your are getting them in the grocery store, they are not 4 oz portions unless it specifically states that on the package.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I always buy the fresh prepacked boneless skinless chicken breast fillets and I keep forgetting to check how many ounces are in a pack of the four fillets and I am clueless as to about how many ounces are in one fillet (these are the breasts that are cut in half lengthwise so they are thinner.... anyone know?

It will be substantially beneficial for you to purchase a food scale and use it often.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Uh, no? Not all chicken breasts weigh the same, you'd have to weigh them yourself.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    Depending on the size, a single breast can be anywhere from 2 to maybe even 4 servings. That means that at 4 oz per serving one breast can weigh from 8 oz to 16 oz (one pound). And yes I had a package of breasts once that had one that large. I can only imagine how big that bird was whole. Typically though I think the packages I get are around 2 lbs with 4 breasts, so 1/2 pound (8 oz) per breast.

Your best bet is just to weigh them every time since they can and do vary so much. You probably won't be able to get them exact but at least you know that for dinner that night your piece weighed 5.5 oz and you can figure that in. Also, if you don't already know, that is the precooked weight.

I did an experiment a little while back with hamburger and pasta to see the difference after it was cooked. The pasta weighed almost twice as much cooked and the hamburger weighed almost half of the original weight.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like to play it safe and weigh EVERYTHING! Otherwise I would obsess about it!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Me too. I obsessively weigh stuff so I don't have to obsessively worry about not knowing what it weighed.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Me too. I obsessively weigh stuff so I don't have to obsessively worry about not knowing what it weighed.

I thought I was the only one. Good to know I am not alone.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

It will be substantially beneficial for you to purchase a food scale and use it often.

Yes. I have 2 one for home and one for work! Use them both daily!
  • lljksilk
    Options
    nthing the advice for a food scale. Seriously - unless you are an expert and have been doing this for a year or more, it is easy to overestimate.
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    General guideline for any meat is 3 ounces is the size of a deck of playing cards. Another would be the size of the palm of your hand.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Scales people.. spend the $20 and get one will really change things.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I too suggest you get a food scale. You can get them really inexpensive or get the digital expensive ones. I could not do this without it. I measure and weigh everything I eat and log it. Right down to the Teaspoons and Tablespoons.

Good luck!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scale is the most used tool in my kitchen. It has been a real eye opener, both over and under estimating things by eye.
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    General guideline for any meat is 3 ounces is the size of a deck of playing cards. Another would be the size of the palm of your hand.

^^This is good when away from home, but you should invest in a scale. I found one for around $5 at Target a couple of years ago & since joining MFP I use it daily! I also have shunned serving spoons & use measuring cups to plate my food. If you need to eyeball things for a while here is a good guide to help you more accurately estimate:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^

Beat me to it...
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Uh, no? Not all chicken breasts weigh the same, you'd have to weigh them yourself.

This ^
    Probably between 3 and 6 oz :wink:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

^^ This times 1,000
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb, 4 oz is about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand. The 4 oz. rule doesn't always apply to store bought chicken breasts. For example sometimes a breast can weigh 6 or even 8 oz. Use your eyes and even better, a scale.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Where do they sell 1lb chicken breasts? cuz I'll take twenty.