This is probaby really disgusting..

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    and completely embarrassing, but does anyone else feel they really stink when they workout? ... I get really sweating.

If it's 70+ outside I lose about 2 pounds on a 5 mile run. It's pretty much all sweat. Nothing weird about that. Your body needs to stay cool.

You're making a "quantity" point and I think OP is making a "quality" point.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    it happens. thats why i shower after the gym.......

most of my gym shirts smell even after washing.
    Seriously! Is there some industrial strength detergent out there for this or do I just have to buy new shirts every month?

Cup of white vinegar with the detergent. If you have pit stains soak in vinegar first then wash.
    I'll give that a try. What's weird for me (and this only happens with older shirts) is that they will come out of the dryer smelling nice and fabric softener-y, but the second I get sweat on them, they go from zero to stank in a second. Even if I smell fine. It's like the sweat is just hiding in there after a wash waiting to come out again. Anyways, gross! Hahaha

I believe this is a common problem with the athletic/synthetic/wicking type materials. Plenty of specialized detergents on the market that supposedly address it, but I have no personal experience with them to know if they actually work.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    it happens. thats why i shower after the gym.......

most of my gym shirts smell even after washing.
    Seriously! Is there some industrial strength detergent out there for this or do I just have to buy new shirts every month?

Cup of white vinegar with the detergent. If you have pit stains soak in vinegar first then wash.
    I'll give that a try. What's weird for me (and this only happens with older shirts) is that they will come out of the dryer smelling nice and fabric softener-y, but the second I get sweat on them, they go from zero to stank in a second. Even if I smell fine. It's like the sweat is just hiding in there after a wash waiting to come out again. Anyways, gross! Hahaha

I believe this is a common problem with the athletic/synthetic/wicking type materials. Plenty of specialized detergents on the market that supposedly address it, but I have no personal experience with them to know if they actually work.
    Yes! I never knew that (learn something every day around here). I always wear wicking type shirts to work out. I also just had a friend on here recommend a brand she uses and loves:

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Suds-Zipper-Pouch-Loads/dp/B008D2AW14/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350581807&sr=8-6&keywords=sport+wash

Thanks Jess and jofjltncb6!
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Do you eat garlic? It is a valid question ... seriously! I am a huge fan of garlic but if I eat it and than go running the same day ... or even a morning after ... uhhhhhhhhhhh not preatty ... and if I don't eat enough carbs than I smell like piss after working out.
  • JesGilb
    JesGilb Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know most people stink somewhat when they workout, but I really hit me the other day when I fly was in the gym and it wouldn't stay away from me <---- thats disgusting. It made me feel like a stinky farm animal lolol. I guess it could be all the crap I ate cleaning out, I'm just starting with clean eating/ working out in the last 2 weeks. Or the fly made me paranoid, who knows lol.
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing polyester then you should expect the stink to take hold of the garment eventually and permanently. Lot's of brands offer anti-microbial treatments that are effective. Stay away from Triclosan as it's an endocrine disruptor - look for Polygiene or other silver ion technology (but not silver yarns - this is seriously bad news). I develop performance textiles for living in case you are wondering why the hell I think I know so much....good luck and may you forever smell like roses...