Career builder, Monster.... Job websites

Options
lik_11
lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
As I've been submitting applications to these websites for over 2 years- the only response (besides an email that the company has received my application) I've ever received are from temp agencies who found my resume on them. I've never even gotten an interview from an application submitted. Has anyone ever gotten a job from one of these websites???

Replies

• Road_2_success
    Road_2_success Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Workopolis and Monster is what I used and worked great for me, the trick is to update your resume daily and have as much key words in your summary as possible. The newest way is LinkedIN and when I look to hire I go there first before the other sites.

Good Luck
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    My current company found my resume on CB. Use Indeed - it pulls job from company specific sites, and CB and monster.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I got one from Careerbuilder...it was actually a recruiter that found me on there...for a job that wasn't posted (it wasn't a great job, but being laid off - in the automotive industry - in 2009, it was better than nothing at the time).

Unfortunately, in today's market you have to do a lot more legwork than just submitting applications to open jobs on those sites though. Linkedin is a great resource because you can utilize people you know to help you...

Are you also getting slammed with calls/emails from crappy online colleges now too?
  • lik_11
    Options
    Are you also getting slammed with calls/emails from crappy online colleges now too?

Yes- saying that I requested education information. I'm already very well educated- I did not ask to be contacted about an associate's degree! ha
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

Yes- saying that I requested education information. I'm already very well educated- I did not ask to be contacted about an associate's degree! ha
    OMG...Same for me. I'd say "I didn't ask to be contacted" and they'd say 'oh, you did"...

Like someone with an advanced degree would intentionally express an interest in an associates degree with a non-accredited online school, right?
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    I got one job that I applied for at Career Builder.... a job that was one day a week for an obscure storage company that I ended up quitting. However! I still got the job.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I use Indeed. It pulls postings from lots of different sources.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I got an amazing job from Monster. It was a temp agency that was hiring temp-to-hire (regular employee) for an amazing job.
  • lik_11
    Options
    Thanks, MFPers! I've heard of Indeed, but apparently need to look into it more. Also- I'll become more active on linkedin. I know I have a profile- but I've never actually used it.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    - Indeed
    - Jobisjob
    - Trovit
    - Gumtree (? :\)
    - SimplyHired
    - Career Builder
    - Jobsite (got my last job through that site)
    - Monster
    - Reed
    - Totaljobs
    - CV Library
    - LinkedIn

...That's all I can think of now lol I don't know if some of these websites are for the USA too, but it never hurts to try :p
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Try www.usajobs.gov/ too...

There's a lot of hoops to jump through, but the goverment jobs have great benefits and you get ever obscure holiday off if you're able to land one.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to redo your resume. Go look for a not-for-profit place that can help out with that sort of stuff. they're worth their weight in gold!
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Every job I have ever gotten has been from a website. My husband just landed a job he found on Indeed
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use Indeed. It pulls postings from lots of different sources.

Indeed is very good, as is SimplyHired.com
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Current and last job - CareerBuilder
    First job - Monster