Help me come up with a routine!!!

Options
So I have added weight lifting to my workout. I did some research and decided to follow a easy beginners plan. I workout Mon. Wed. Fri. and do a ABA workout ( Mon- workout A Wed. Workout B Fri-A then the next week start on Monday with workout B) The Routine I am doing now is on A days I do leg press, then Row, then Bench press and On workout B I do Dead Lifts, Pull downs and Shoulder press. Is this routine Okay for a beginner? I am mostly focusing on form and not so much heavy weights yet I want to make sure I get my form right for a full week. Does this make sense to anyone, I feel like I have not even lifted at all. How fast should I add more pounds to my routine, am I doing enough? Oh I do 3 sets of 10.

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It sounds good to me--I'm no expert, but my husband and I have been strength training for about 6 weeks now. If you hop on fitocracy.com, you'll find my routines (soehlerking) and the weights I personally use. We use the routines created by iFitness (on my husband's phone), but then we modify them a little. There are A LOT of great resources online for routines to start out with. If you're able to get past all the meathead-esque people, bodybuilding.com is a very useful site. I hope this helps!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off doing a set of squats instead of the leg press. They work the same leg muscles, plus you have the added benefit of the squat working the rest of your body as well - it's called a compound lift.

What program are you starting?
  • CandyBryson
    CandyBryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yea the program called for squats but said leg lifts are an okay alternative. I tried the squats but I just couldn't get through them yet, I am going to keep trying to add then because I can see how they would work the core. Maybe I will do as many squats as i can ( correctly) and finish with the leg press.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    This is the routine I am doing...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yea the program called for squats but said leg lifts are an okay alternative. I tried the squats but I just couldn't get through them yet, I am going to keep trying to add then because I can see how they would work the core. Maybe I will do as many squats as i can ( correctly) and finish with the leg press.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    This is the routine I am doing...

Are you using weights? If you can't get through them, you are lifting too heavy.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    Yes, I did but only using 5lbs well 10 because I had a one in each hand. What if I do them without any weight? I really don't want to sacrifice my form, but I guess even doing them without weights would strengthen my core right?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    leg press is to squats like a pile of yesterday's ground beef is to a bacon-wrapped filet mignon.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    leg press is to squats like a pile of yesterday's ground beef is to a bacon-wrapped filet mignon.
    I gathered that. But if i didn't have filet Mingon and was on the verge of starving to death, the ground beef would look pretty good. Something is better than nothing, Even if can only do 4 before my form goes to crap and then finish on the leg press, next workout I might be able to do 5. I have to start somewhere, even if its not ideal its still something. I mean I have not worked out in at least 10 years, and even then I was okay at best.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Look at Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. It's the definitive beginer weight training program.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    Look at Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe. It's the definitive beginer weight training program.
    Thanks! I'll do that.