talk to me about macros please

Options
where do the suggested %s come from on the pie chart shown on the mobile app?

what are YOUR personal desired %s for macros and why?

i have been lower on the carbs lately and higher on protein and am wondering how good/bad this is.
also I am fairly new at all of this eating clean stuff, so forgive me if I sound like a noob ... I am one. =/

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i'm currently doing the new rules of lifting for women and it is recommended to do 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    ideal depends on what you do, i personally stay at 65%carbs 20%protien and 15% fat but thats because i am a runner who burns 7k+ calories a week and you can see results in my pictures so it works for me, but once again this is due to my activity level and the fact that my heartrate stays around 85% of max (during excercise) which is burning almost all carbs and no fat
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm on the "Energy Booster" from the P90X Nutrition Guideline. 40C/40P/20C This formula has been succesful for me during Ripped in 30 and now in Body Revolution. Look up the P90X meal plan it gives a good explanation of the different macros.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Recommend you match your macros to your daily activity - higher carbs on active days, lower carbs on rest/off days.

If you are running a caloric deficit, you can have any split you want. Hence how the twinkie diet is effective.

From an overall health standpoint - 1) carbs are the bodies preferred source of energy. 2) You need at least 10% of calories from dietary fat.

Protein is great because it has the lowest effective calories per gram, 3.2 after the thermogenic effect. Protein is also very satiating.

A training day might look like:
    Protein 30%
    Carbs 55%
    Fat 15%

A rest day like the following:
    Protein 40%
    Carbs 30%
    Fat 30%

Ultimately you have to find what works best for you. Keep dietary fat low if you are going to exceed caloric expenditure - all fat calories will be directly stored in a caloric surplus.

Check out rippedbody.jp for some easy to follow macro guidelines.