I'm pregnant and have fallen off track...help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress about it. With my first, I actually broke down sobbing in the midwife's office because I was so sick with that pregnancy that I couldn't eat a healthy diet and I was convinced my baby would come out malnourished and sick and with rickets and scurvy and anything else I read about on WebMD. We went over everything I was eating and really, it wasn't that bad. Baby was fine, of course. So first off, print out your food diary & take it to your doctor & see what they say about it. The goal is to do the best you can, not to achieve perfection.

Being pregnant isn't a licence to nom everything in sight, but it is a time to chill the heck out and spend some time trying to decipher the signals your body is giving you. Didn't learn this until my second pregnancy, but when I was craving something sweet, eating protein usually fixed it, while eating sweets never did. Stupid body signals.

It's better to give your baby what it needs and work a little harder to lose the weight afterwards than it is to try to replenish all the calcium your body leaches out of your bones to make a new human because you're scared to eat enough to gain weight. Again, this is WITHIN REASON - we're talking eat a cheese stick even if it's over your "limit", not a cheesecake.

Man, now I want a cheesecake.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt need THAT many more calories while you are pregnant. your babies stomache is about the size of your fist at full term, so you do the math. so i'm not saying you should be eating the MFP deficit amount, but dont take this as an excuse to stuff you face because trust me, after pregnancy the weight DOES NOT just fall off. its so much harder to lose baby weight and the more you gain the more likely you are to get stretch markes which will never go away. just stick to a normal healthy diet and keep track of you calories.

Everyone is different, but you shouldn't get scared into thinking you'll be stuck being overweight after your baby's born. The good news is that if you choose to breastfeed, that is how some mothers lose the extra weight. I've had three sons and breastfed them all. While trimom10 is my name here, I wasn't doing triathlons or even running at that point in my life. After their birth, I didn't count calories or exercise and returned to my pre-pregnancy weight within six months or so. If you chose to bottle feed, you will be busy running around doing laundry, errands, and taking care of your son/daughter. That will count for something.

I would try to get your eight+ glasses of water in each day and try to eat at least a home cooked dinner of meat/protein, potatoes/rice, veggies. By the way, I ate an apple each day for my afternoon snack too when I was pregnant. Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Stop caring for 9 months. Seriously. Baby's health is worth more than 9 months of weight loss.

She isn't trying to lose weight. She's trying to get adequate nutrition for the baby. That seems like something good to care about.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby!

I'd suggest if you're having severe nausea to talk to your doctor. There are pregnancy-safe anti-nausea meds that will help a lot to let you get the nutrition you need for early development of your baby. The first trimester is important for neural tube development, so you need to at least get your prenatal vitamins down during that period.

If you're able to eat, try to eating some whole grain breads (good fiber), as much fruit and veggies as you can, and try to get some lean meats in there even if it's just a little. You need a lot of iron, calcium, and protein right now, so work on focusing on getting food with a lot of those nutrients in as much as you can. As your baby develops, you will need only about 300-500 calories beyond your maintenance calorie intake for your pre-pregnancy weight. You don't need to be "eating for two."

This exactly! I wasn't sick at all in the first and second trimester, but in the third. I had such bad acid reflux that I couldn't sleep, and could barely hold any food down at all. I lost a ton of weight from all over, except my belly of course. I ended up weighing less than when I got pregnant. My Dr finally got a clue about 4 days before I gave birth, and gave me the anti-nausea pills. But like she said, my baby was perfectly healthy. My body took what it needed from my body and gave it to my son. :heart:

As far as foods really the only things I could hold down (and only in the early morning) were bread with peanut butter, and cottage cheese for whatever reason. Ask your Dr for the medicine as soon as possible. I promise it will make a world of difference. :smile:
  • dbaumgarn
    dbaumgarn Posts: 111
    Options
    I am also currently pregnant at 14 weeks, had been a member of this site for a year and lost about 27ish lbs. I can relate, certainly havent been eating the best but I try to stick to a calorie budget. They say you really only need 300 extra calories per day. I am trying to be carefull throughout this pregnancy as I don't want to gain more then I should. Try smoothies, you can pack all sorts of good things in those..add some protein powder...good for the sweet tooth in my case and they are sooo yummy!! Add me and we can keep track of each other for the next few months. Best of luck to you in your pregnancy!!!
  • luxijessi
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I was sick for 7 months straight with my son. The only thing I could eat for fruit loops most of the time. I would say try to eat as healthy as you can and every 3hours (thats what my doc told me back in 2010). There are workout DVDs you can get at Target/Walmart like Pregnancy Yoga or Pilates to keep you from gaining too much weight and keep you healthy and active. I was on bed rest with my pregnany but if you're not you should give it a try. I know if I have another baby I definitly will be using them.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    First off, congrats on the baby. :flowerforyou:

I have 4 kids as well. I say eat how you normally eat if you can. Just listen to your body. As per instructions from my OB/GYN and doctor, just eat normal and have a few extra healthy snacks like apples and cheese, yogurt and granola bar. And take vitamins. Personally i'd stay away from Protein bars (I'm assuming you mean wokrout protein bars if that makes sense). They now have Similac drinks for pregnant women kind of like Boost. It's not a meal replacement.

What kept me on track when I was pregnant was doing prenatal yoga and prenatal cardio workouts (low impact). Don't think of it as falling off the weight loss wagon, think of it as jumping on the new mom wagon. :laugh:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt need THAT many more calories while you are pregnant. your babies stomache is about the size of your fist at full term, so you do the math. so i'm not saying you should be eating the MFP deficit amount, but dont take this as an excuse to stuff you face because trust me, after pregnancy the weight DOES NOT just fall off. its so much harder to lose baby weight and the more you gain the more likely you are to get stretch markes which will never go away. just stick to a normal healthy diet and keep track of you calories.

What she eats has nothing to do with the size of her baby's stomach while in the womb. What she eats doesn't go into the baby's stomach at all. And a baby's stomach is about the size of a shooter marble at birth, not the size of her mother's fist, yikes!

Just try to eat as healthy as possible, fruits and veggies are great. Your body will pull from you to make sure your baby is getting proper nutrition. Eat small meals throughout the day if you are having an upset stomach. Saltine crarckers were my best friend for a while.

i said at full term.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Stop caring for 9 months. Seriously. Baby's health is worth more than 9 months of weight loss.

thats a good way to get fat as hell. its not about trying to lose weight, its about putting on a healthy amount of weight.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

thats a good way to get fat as hell. its not about trying to lose weight, its about putting on a healthy amount of weight.

This, and excessive weight gain during pregnancy can cause a host of serious problems for mom and baby including gestational diabetes.
  • HILLIO1
    HILLIO1 Posts: 12
    Options
    WOW I've gotten a LOT of replies, thanks! I haven't read them all, but I DO want to say, I'm NOT stuffing my face with everything in sight, I DID go into my profile settings and changed my daily caloric goal by +400 calories, and I was taking zofran for nausea, which thankfully I haven't really had for over a week!

Also, I'm already a fatty, so I already have stretch marks, I'm not worried about getting life long stretch marks, I already have those to remind me everyday that I've made poor food choices my whole life.

I have had a few moments of feeling pretty crappy, BUT I THINK I may have traced it back to macadamia nuts! So I'm not eating them anymore lol.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am a senior in nursing school and we just learned this stuff. :)

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/mypyramid-pregnant-chart.jpg

It is not so much necessary to increase caloric intake, but to take your prenatal vitamin and make HEALTHIER choices :)
    When I was pregnant.. heartburn was an issue for me, hopefully it won't be for you!

Usually an increase in 300 cals a day to your prepregnant maintenence cals is sufficient. Talk with your doctor about this, and also discuss what exercises are safe for you during your pregnancy!
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just learned this is my maternity class (Nursing School) ! An expecting mother only needs to eat about 300-350 extra calories a day. So I would at least eat your bmr +300 and more if you had a very busy day! Good luck and congrats!