QUESTION/NEW TO SITE

Options
OK JUST STARTED THIS SITE MONDAY, JUST STARTED PEIA (INSURANCE) WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND THE LOCAL YMCA.......OFFICE ASSISTANT WHO SITS ALL DAY (EXCEPT DURING LUNCH).

QUESTION: HOW DO I GET AWAY FROM JUNK FOOD SNACKING? I EAT OUT OF BOREDOM SO ITS A CONSTANT. I NEED SOME HELP, LIKE NEEDING TO GO TO OVEREATERS ANNONYMOUS GRP OR SOMETHING.

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers and other "Free" foods. Someone at the Y should be able to help with that
  • stayceal
    Options
    I struggle with overeating also. I use sunflower seed to keep my jaws busy...lol.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    I struggle with overeating also. I use sunflower seed to keep my jaws busy...lol.

If you take a look at the back of sun flower seeds, you will notice the 40g of fat they have.
    Don't know if this is supposed to be "good" fat or not.. but its enough to steer me away from sun flower seeds
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I took the candy bowl off of my desk, and put healthy snacks in a drawer. I do keep hard candy nearby, but in a jar with a lid -- which for some reason stops me. It's a habit that will take a couple of weeks to break.
  • net719
    net719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just started today and based on my assessment, I will lose 9.32 pounds right before Thanksgiving. So looking forward to challenging myself and winning my battle. HAPPY HAPPY TODAY!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bring healthy snacks.

@ Hey_Im_Kris - seeds and nuts have healthy fats.
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    Five or six whole wheat crackers and a wedge or two of laughing cow cheese is a great snack.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    Bring healthy snacks.

@ Hey_Im_Kris - seeds and nuts have healthy fats.

I dont know enough about healthy fats to justify eating them. =/ lol
  • Sojaided34
    Options

I do this too. No one understands it. My boyfriend said why don't you just buy ones without shells. I said because it keeps me busy. I'd rather eat a handful of sunflower seeds while watching a show rather than chips.
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    Mini Babybel cheese, sugarfree gum, all flavors, baby carrots....tons and tons of cold water, veggie straws...almonds....but not the whole can at a time.....7-12 pieces. apple slices, banana, raisins....it goes on and on....
    the possiblitlites are endless...stay away from the vending machines......good luck dear. feel free to add me...I have some great friends on here.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Chew gum. Brush your teeth. Brushing my teeth always keeps snacking at bay because if I eat then I need to brush again. Snacks that are low calorie like suggested above (cucumbers, carrots, apple slices, rice cakes, etc). I share an office with 8 people and the sounds carries very well in here so I got the sweetened rice cakes, I dont want to open the bag so unless I am truly hungry I wont mess with it. They are always there just in case though.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Snacking is actually good for you. The challenge is to make certain that you are eating healthy snacks.
  • stayceal
    Options
    They may be high and fat but it is a healthy fat. Also if you take a look at the serving size, it's usually a lot. So for me, eating about 1/3 or 1/4 of the serving size handles that urge to eat cookies, candies, donuts......etc. It works for me and I still lose.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Gum to keep your mouth busy, lots of mfp searching to keep your fingers busy and lots and lots of water! I sit all day too and everyone has cookie and candy jars on their desk!! :devil:
    It gets easier.
  • stayceal
    Options

If you take a look at the back of sun flower seeds, you will notice the 40g of fat they have.
    Don't know if this is supposed to be "good" fat or not.. but its enough to steer me away from sun flower seeds

They may be high and fat but it is a healthy fat. Also if you take a look at the serving size, it's usually a lot. So for me, eating about 1/3 or 1/4 of the serving size handles that urge to eat cookies, candies, donuts......etc. It works for me and I still lose.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OK JUST STARTED THIS SITE MONDAY, JUST STARTED PEIA (INSURANCE) WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AND THE LOCAL YMCA.......OFFICE ASSISTANT WHO SITS ALL DAY (EXCEPT DURING LUNCH).

QUESTION: HOW DO I GET AWAY FROM JUNK FOOD SNACKING? I EAT OUT OF BOREDOM SO ITS A CONSTANT. I NEED SOME HELP, LIKE NEEDING TO GO TO OVEREATERS ANNONYMOUS GRP OR SOMETHING.

Keep fruits at hand, snack on those :)
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I do this too. No one understands it. My boyfriend said why don't you just buy ones without shells. I said because it keeps me busy. I'd rather eat a handful of sunflower seeds while watching a show rather than chips.

My uncle does this when he's driving to help him stay awake.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds health benefits actually outweigh the cost that you are thinking of. It is a healthy fat, and is actually recommended by the USDA as a good way to get your daily required fat intake. They are also filled with tons of nutrients and vitamins, and can help lower cholesterol.

The real risk with them is that you eat the salted ones and take in too much sodium. but just get the unsalted!

A good activity to keep you away from those cookies and a healthy treat.
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    Snacking is actually good for you. The challenge is to make certain that you are eating healthy snacks.

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Alot of people here gave alot of suggestions. I say diversify. Use all the suggestions and keep all of it around. Seeds, fruit, veggies, low fat yogurt, whatever you need.. maybe even small pieces of chocolate, as long as you don't eat the whole bag.

I suffer from the same problem, so I've made my snacking as planned out as my meals. I decide in the morning what I'll be snacking on before lunch and what my mid-afternoon snack will be. I also decide when I get home what my after dinner snack will be. When you account for it in your daily plan, you can eat it and still meet your calorie goal.