EAT CLEAN?

rungirl28
rungirl28 Posts: 16
edited September 19 in Chit-Chat
Hey everyone,
My trainer was telling me I should explore "eating clean" for better results in running as well as a healthier lifestyle. Has anyone ever heard of or are currently practicing this? It sounds interesting, but I want to get some advice from people about how difficult it is. Thanks!

Replies

• rungirl28
    Hey everyone,
    My trainer was telling me I should explore "eating clean" for better results in running as well as a healthier lifestyle. Has anyone ever heard of or are currently practicing this? It sounds interesting, but I want to get some advice from people about how difficult it is. Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Clean eating has many definitions.

In general, it's eating only whole foods. So nothing processed, like 100 calorie packs or snack crackers or fruit snacks or pudding cups, etc. You'd eat foods as close to 'nature' as possible, like lean meats, beans, fresh fruits/veggies, whole grains. There are differing levels of 'strictness'. For some, clean eating means you eat mostly natural stuff, but something like Kashi granola bars would be okay even though they're somewhat processed. And for some, even bread is too processed. You make it as challenging as you want. :smile:

There is also a Clean Eating group here. I wouldn't classify how I eat as 'clean' according to their standards, so I'm not going to kid myself by joining. :laugh: I like Chinese food and Lean Cuisines every now and then.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Clean eating has many definitions.

In general, it's eating only whole foods. So nothing processed, like 100 calorie packs or snack crackers or fruit snacks or pudding cups, etc. You'd eat foods as close to 'nature' as possible, like lean meats, beans, fresh fruits/veggies, whole grains. There are differing levels of 'strictness'. For some, clean eating means you eat mostly natural stuff, but something like Kashi granola bars would be okay even though they're somewhat processed. And for some, even bread is too processed. You make it as challenging as you want. :smile:

There is also a Clean Eating group here. I wouldn't classify how I eat as 'clean' according to their standards, so I'm not going to kid myself by joining. :laugh: I like Chinese food and Lean Cuisines every now and then.

Awww, come on! Join in! I'm no clean eating police, I swear! :laugh: Just posting it daily makes it easier to keep it clean for those that might be reading! :laugh:

Here's a link to the thread if you want to read more info! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/43197-clean-eating-club-march-2009 It's all in varying degrees and finding what works for you! :wink:
  • TashaT29
    TashaT29 Posts: 12
    I've been clean eating for a few months now...only fresh produce (the more colourful the better), whole grains and lean protein (I only eat fish...but that's a lifestyle choice for me). Take a look at 'The Eat-Clean Diet' by Tosca Rena. Great book...she also writes for Oxygen.
  • songbyrdsweet
    LOL oh I didn't think you guys were going to be on my case. I just didn't want to disrespect the idea...I mean, right now, I do eat a fair amount of processed food, because I work a lot. LC's a few nights a week, I usually eat a chocolate chip M&M cookie once or twice a week, and I love love love cereal, and I eat reduced sugar jam pretty much every day. A lot of my veggies are canned, too! The sodium doesn't affect me at all, and I'm not overly concerned about the way I eat because I'm fit as a fiddle according to my recent blood tests (and in my own opinion in regards to my athletic ability), but even I don't fit my own definition of 'clean eating'. :laugh: Right now my eating is...'sort of needs a wash-eating'.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    I'll take a look. I've been reading Oxygen Magazine and it sounds like something I might be interested in. Thanks!:happy:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    I like eating Ice cream O wait clean.
    what's clean eating for me? MEAT MEAT MEAT and fresh fruit and veggies, maybe some hot air pop popcorn, with olive oil that's about it.......................did I say MEAT, but I only eat like that for about 12 weeks before comp, other the that I eat meat
  • rungirl28
    Wow! Thanks! I didn't think I'd get this much info so quick. I'm gonna look into that book and I'm going to look over the link from jess! Thanks Songbyrdsweet, based on your description it sounds like something I'd be interested in doing!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Yea, it is nice, I have done it in the past. And even now some days are really clean, like if I'm on campus all day where I can get to the salad bar and then eat a steak and veggies when I get home. When I have more time I like to prepare my oats and eggs for breakfast, something wholesome for lunch and dinner. But this semester has been ridiculous with stuff and work and so much homework that it's just not practical. Who wants to make breakfast before an 8am chemistry course? Not me! :laugh:

When I lived at home for one summer a couple years back I had my own little fridge section, and I always kept eggs, salad fixings, flax seed, cottage cheese, and regular cheese in there. In the pantry I had oats and quinoa (another grain) and actually rarely ate bread because I don't like sandwiches (unless it's PBJ, and I have always only eaten natural peanut butter, the other stuff is soooo sweet and gross). My stepmom kept fruits in a basket and always made vegetables with dinner. I usually ate chicken or fish as a protein during the day and she would often make pork or a red meat for dinner with pasta and salad. That said, I ate so much chicken that I totally hate it now, and my protein sources have switched more to dairy. I still like steak though. :bigsmile:

Just some ideas on what I eat as a 'moderate' clean eater.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    what's clean eating for me? MEAT MEAT MEAT and fresh fruit and veggies, maybe some hot air pop popcorn, with olive oil that's about it.......................did I say MEAT, but I only eat like that for about 12 weeks before comp, other the that I eat meat

I'm with ya there, I LOVE my red meat...I eat meat at least 6 outta seven days, I choose lean cuts, but there's nothing better than a steak of the BBQ!
  • jessmomof3

I'm with ya there, I LOVE my red meat...I eat meat at least 6 outta seven days, I choose lean cuts, but there's nothing better than a steak of the BBQ!

I love meat too, nothin' wrong with that! We get our beef from a local farmer so it is really lean and MUCH better than store bought! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    I've been clean eating for a few months now...only fresh produce (the more colourful the better), whole grains and lean protein (I only eat fish...but that's a lifestyle choice for me). Take a look at 'The Eat-Clean Diet' by Tosca Rena. Great book...she also writes for Oxygen.

Yep, the Eat Clean Diet is a good start. The Abs Diet has some cleaner recommendations also.
  • jessmomof3
    LOL oh I didn't think you guys were going to be on my case. I just didn't want to disrespect the idea...I mean, right now, I do eat a fair amount of processed food, because I work a lot. LC's a few nights a week, I usually eat a chocolate chip M&M cookie once or twice a week, and I love love love cereal, and I eat reduced sugar jam pretty much every day. A lot of my veggies are canned, too! The sodium doesn't affect me at all, and I'm not overly concerned about the way I eat because I'm fit as a fiddle according to my recent blood tests (and in my own opinion in regards to my athletic ability), but even I don't fit my own definition of 'clean eating'. :laugh: Right now my eating is...'sort of needs a wash-eating'.

I'm sure you eat a TON healthier than other college kids!! :laugh: :laugh: I just didn't want anyone to think that we were the *police* and you had to eat 100% clean to post!! :wink: Personally, I feel great since I cut out the processed foods and went from 5-6 migraines a month to *maybe* one (PMS can be a PAIN!). I just feel so much better and it's really helped me with my running and training too! :bigsmile:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661

BBQ steak every time I'm in port. steak chicken and hot sausage on the grill.I'm getting hungry.
  • rungirl28
    Thats a good idea. I'm trying to get my husband to eat healthy and maybe if I only buy "clean foods" it will leave him with no choice. Right now, my kids pretty much eat what I tell them to and since I don't buy a lot of junk food (did buy the 100 cal snacks sometimes) they don't really eat bad. But hubby finds a way to sneak it back into the house. I don't really eat red meat or pork. Since I've been eating healthy it's been mostly fish. So I'm thinking whole grains, lots of protein from lean meats and fruits and veggies and I'll be good, right? Oh and drink lots of water.
  • jessmomof3
    Thats a good idea. I'm trying to get my husband to eat healthy and maybe if I only buy "clean foods" it will leave him with no choice. Right now, my kids pretty much eat what I tell them to and since I don't buy a lot of junk food (did buy the 100 cal snacks sometimes) they don't really eat bad. But hubby finds a way to sneak it back into the house. I don't really eat red meat or pork. Since I've been eating healthy it's been mostly fish. So I'm thinking whole grains, lots of protein from lean meats and fruits and veggies and I'll be good, right? Oh and drink lots of water.

My kids are used to whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal (they LOVE steel cut oats now!), etc. My hubby has gotten used to eating healthier too. You're right, if you don't buy it then they can't eat it!! And yes, fruits and veggies are good. Don't forget the healthy fats too- olive oil, nuts (walnuts, almonds, natural PB, almond butter, etc), avocado...
  • rungirl28
    ok thanks! I'm starting today!
  • bump
This discussion has been closed.