Im new :D Wish to lose at least 20 lbs by mid December!

Options
Hi I just ran accross this site and signed up! Im hoping to lose 20lbs by mid december.
Is this unrealistic? I signed up at LA Fitness I start Monday!

Im going to do lots of cardio. I need to plan a diet as well..

Any tips and suggestions would be lovely :)

Replies

• jess804
    jess804 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there reduce carbs/fat/sugar & sodium bulk up on protein and lots of water!!!! You need strength traing & cardio to lose but it is attainable :) Good luck
  • rosecorrea85
    Options
    Thanks will do!

Im thinking of hiring a trainer for a few sessions because I know nothing of strength training!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lbs the first month I started. Partially because I have a lot to lose (my original goal was 127lbs lost) and I started at 50%BF. I cut pop and calorie drinks and dropped. Stopped eating fast food and dropped.
    Basically each week I do another small, but liveable, change. I'm averaging 4lbs a week.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it is a realistic goal if you stay with it and work really hard. Don't get discouraged if you don't reach 20lbs though. Keep working at it and it will come. I just started MFP 5 days ago and I LOVE it! There is so much support and motivation on this website/app. My suggestion would be to log in EVERY SINGLE DAY! That way you can see the calories you are burning off (i love that part) and the calories you are eating. It's helped me a lot already because I feel it keeps me more accountable and I dont like seeing a really high calorie count! On the other hand, I LOVE seeing a really high calorie count in the exercise section. You can do it! Good Luck and feel free to add me! My name is Jenna. =)

Also as far as food. Eat LOTS of vegetables and fruits! And if you like burgers, I would suggest going with Jenni-O Turkey burgers. I eat them with either lettuce wrapped around it, or in between two tomato slices. And with that, I also eat a vegetable with it, normally cucumber. Only 200 calories per turkey patty. I hope this helps!
  • rosecorrea85
    Options
    WOW thats awesome good for you!! Gives me hope!
  • rosecorrea85
    Options
    Hi Jenna!

Thank you! I will def take all your advice! Im very new to it and just skimming through this at work. Ill look more into it once Im home! Food is my weakness! Also the whole drinking water thing. But it seems like this site and people like you will be making this much easier! Im excited.

:)
  • CPAUTISM24
    CPAUTISM24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Also you can eat Veggie Burgers like Boca Burger or Morning Star Burgers. The Morning Star burgers have about 100 or 110 calories. They are delicious and a great way to get the veggies in you. The Arnold Sandwich rounds only have 100 Calories. Good luck!:happy:
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I am probably the world's pickiest eater (my boss tells me I eat like her 8 year old nephew!), but even i've managed to lose 50 pounds in about 5 months. I LOVE food too, so portion control is the single biggest thing this site has taught me. If a grocery store has Laura's Lean meats, those are great. I am not a fan of veggies, and I love my protein, so I have to make sure that protein is GOOD.

There may come moments (and probably might be a better word) that you become discouraged or frustrated-use it to your advantage. Throw that emotion into your workouts, and remind yourself of how far you've come and where you want to go. It's all about setting mini-goals for me, and I've now shifted focus from a "weight" goal to a body fat % goal.

All in all, your goal is completely do-able! It won't always be easy, but nothing worth having is! Best of luck, and can't wait to see you post in December that you've made your goal!
  • bigchef1
    Options
    I just joined as well , lots of cardio, and following the calorie meter here is pretty good at making you relize what you can and can't eat. Good luck....
  • dvukmiro
    Options
    Hey there!

You picked a great app to help you. Tracking CONSISTENTLY IS KEY! Do you have a specific diet plan that you are following? Also, do you know how to calculate your daily caloric intake goal? That is important in getting that daily calorie deficit that is needed in losing weight. Try to keep you macronutrient ratios in the 40-40-20 range (protein-carb-fat). Let us know if you need help in doing any of this. Good luck! BTW - my name is Dan. Hope your reach your December goal!