I need help - motivation - support

I need something.
I am so close to mentally giving up. I have been trying to lose weight now for 2 years! I have gained and lost the same flippin 6 lbs. I have tried to stick with EM2WL and nothing. I have dropped my calories and nothing. I don't know what else to do. I drink 80-90 ounces of water a day! I walk.
and if oyu look at my diary right now it is not a true reflection of how I eat. I just got back from camping and have been on a downward spiral for weeks now.

I don't know what the right amount of calories to eat is. If I knew that I would stick with it.
Can anyone help? Offer support...something?
Today I weigh the most I have in about 5 years.

Replies

• bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Just curious...how old are you? I am 43 this year and that definitely played a role in my inability to lose weight. IT TOOK FOREVER.
    I started six months ago and have lost 42 total pounds....BUT before I found MFP it was just not going away. I stayed at 1240 calories and refused to eat anymore then that it it finally started coming off. Also, I swear by lipton green tea and honey decaf tea bags. I drink a hot tea every morning and every night. It may not be what finally broke the barrier but for me it sure feels like it is. Don't give up....it will happen. Keep following MFP and log every single thing. Eventually it WILL work!! :) Good luck
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'm a slow burner too, what helped me was having a long term goal 20 pounds in 10 months, I do think it does have something to do with not having much to lose, do you exercise much? I've found zumba great for shaking off the pounds and weight training is supposed to be great too. Also try to cut out as much processed food as possible. Good luck x
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    I will have to check out that tea. I am turning 41 next month
    I don't excersise like I should. I try to walk as much as I can and fit it in when I have extra time. I watch my granddaughter in the evenings when I get home from work.
  • Hi kay_bear ~ Since you seem to have lost your way I suggest the following: (BTW i am not an expert)

1. Re-*kitten* your mfp goal - Go through the configuration wizard again and set your activity to sedentary and go with the defaults for a few weeks to set a new baseline (then track your exercise)

2. I looked through your food diary for the month of September and here are a few things I noticed:
    a. quite a few days the sodium was very high or over (try to cut out as much as possible)
    b. I see quite a few processed foods (alot of them will contain higher sodium or other ingredients that may affect how your body handles them) Try to eat more 'clean' foods

Age will play into it as well. I know my wife has struggled back and forth with her last 10-15 lbs for quite some time and it has been a slow process. The single biggest thing that has worked for me has been the quality of the foods I eat. Check out my diary if you want to.

Tip: Eat fish once or twice a week, vary up your recipies. We eat at least one new meal per week.
  • kay_bear52
    Thank you.
    I have reset my goals and changed my activity level.
    At least this is a start for me and hopefully will get me motivated again.
    I've also started a new medication (going on 3 weeks now) so I guess I need to research it and see how the weight gain goes with it.
    I appreciate all the help. I know I can do this. It's just hard sometimes. And of course no one at my home is supportive about eating healthy
  • Yes, it can be difficult when you don't have the support on the home front. My wife was losing weight a couple years before I started. Us guys had our own foods and she had hers but since she handles the shopping in our house we have all migrated to the healthy side. My 10 Yr old will not eat regular peanut butter any more because he says it is too sweet.

I look at our groceries when we are putting them away and 85% goes in the fridge, 10% are dry or canned goods for the pantry and 10% are frozen veggies and a few fresh meats.

We have found some really good foods to try at allrecipies.com. Also remember to get a good baseline before making any adjustments to your settings. Then when you do make small coarse corrections and wait a week or two before making more, it will take your body at least a week to stabilize.

"Today is My tomorrow.
    It's up to Me to shape it.
    To take control and seize every opportunity.
    The power is in the choices I make each day.
    I eat well, I live Well.
    I Shape Me."
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Here's my 2 cents. Take what you like and leave the rest.
    Buy a copy of Dr Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live" and read it all the way through. You will finally understand why losing weight -- and keeping it off -- is so difficult. Then make a commitment to eating right the rest of your life. You will learn all you need to know about real nutrition from this book. (Check out my profile.) You will lose all the weight you need to, and will finally feel great eating real food, as much as you want, and easily maintaining the best weight for your body. Promise.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Feel free to friend me if you like. My diary is open.I'm your age and have 45 more lbs to lose but know this time I'm on my way to success. Have had weight challenges my entire adult life, plus pcos ( which drastically hinders my metabolism), however, I always knew that lowercarb diets worked best for me. I just couldn't stick. Now I'm following the paleo/primal plan and not anywhere near perfect, but with every tweak comes a reward either on the scale or in the fit of my clothing.
  • kay_bear52
    Lisa..I bought the book last night and started reading it. Wish I had more time in the day to devote to reading. Only finsihed chapter one last night. Already I have learned I need to figure out how to get rid of the bread
  • Suanne4
    Suanne4 Posts: 5 Member
    HI all. I am also a new member and have gained about 7 lbs since last April when I went on vacation with my children. I am having trouble getting it off, even though I do run 3 times a week and have recently started back at a gym.
    I need a coach! I started Fitnesspal, but forget to log in....hahahahahahahahaha.....so I am going to try and get motivated TODAY!

Any fellow Newfoundlanders out there?
  • Dit47
    Dit47 Posts: 3 Member
    Research has been done to show that exercise does not work for everyone who wants to lose weight. I know it doesn't for me. Also, have those who have been doing extra exercise taken into account that the muscle they build up doing it weighs heavier than the fat they lose so if you are going by weight loss alone it will appear you are not winning. If you excercise you must measure and take the measurements as a better guide to your body than the weight. Personally, I watch the carbs and have two days a week when I eat less than 600 calories and the rest of the week I pretty much eat what I like while still watching the carbs. Over the week I probably have the same number of calories that I would if I ate the same each day. I think it gets my metabolism going so it can't adjust to a lower calorie diet and get stuck. Just that it works for me - may not be right for everyone though.
  • lisabinco
    Lisa..I bought the book last night and started reading it. Wish I had more time in the day to devote to reading. Only finsihed chapter one last night. Already I have learned I need to figure out how to get rid of the bread
    I'm glad to hear you are at least giving the book a chance. One of my sisters has just finished it and has begun her journey, based on how well it is working for me (yes, I am a good example). I don't want to sound evangelical or like I drank "the kool-aid" but this is working so well for me that I want to spread the word to all who want to listen!
  • lisabinco
    Research has been done to show that exercise does not work for everyone who wants to lose weight. I know it doesn't for me.
    I kinda agree, that exercise doesn't do it all for me. I used to swim 3x a week, run 6x a week; had a lot of muscle but hidden under a nice layer of fat. That is my personal experience. I'm not that active anymore but I eat better -- it's more about WHAT I eat, rather than calories or carbs; rather, I try to eat at least 90% of my daily intake in vegetables and fruit, 0% processed/refined crap, and 10% or less of my daily intake in starchy vegetables/grains. I've cut my sodium to under 1000mg a day, and rarely eat dairy anymore. This has helped reduce that nice layer of fat I've always had and helped keep me on a steady weight loss over the last 4 months. Feeling pretty dang good lately.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    I'm not in my 40's, but metabolism slowing with age was something I was concerned about. I did some research and I found out that there are a number of ways you can increase your metabolism, in some cases to all but counter-effect the impact age may have. The best way I read to increase metabolism is to exercise. It also depends on the number of times you exercise in a day. For instance, rather than exercise 1 hour after work try 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes after work. The after-burn effect from your work out will continue to burn calories and boost your metabolism. Simple math, if you have 1 after-burn it won't be as good as two! Obviously I am no expert, I just had a similar concern and googled some articles that helped me feel better about it. Hope this helps!
  • BrockNRoll
    BrockNRoll Posts: 11 Member
    I am 44 and holy cow does it get harder to drop weight. I aim for 1200 calories a day, but I honestly have trouble eating that much. I drink almost a gallon of water a day, eat a lot of protein and veges, and at the end of the day, if I've hit 1000 calories, I'm doing good. Then when I throw in a workout, the dang thing tells me I need to eat MORE!! GAG. Anyway, It does work if you stick to it and focus on the quality of your calories. I lost over 40 pounds in 2010, was 5 pounds from my goal weight and kept it off for almost a year. What bit me is that my mother passed away in March of 2011 and I comforted myself with my old eating habits. I regained about 25-30 pounds of that in no time at all. So.....here I am again. It's been easier for me to get into the routine this time because I've done it before and I know what works for me, but it does get harder to lose the older that you get.

Be strong! You will get through it and it will work. It's easy to give up because you don't see the instant results that we all seek, but given time, it will come off :) Good luck to you!!