do i work out with a cold?

Options
I have got an awful head cold sneezing,itchy throat,runny nose the lot basically...but i dunno wat to do about my daily work out.i get out of breath and feel weak but dont wanna skip work out really as beimg poorly means i am craving treats which could lead to weight gain maybe...what do others do?do u exercise when ill?

Replies

• Maybe just take it easy and walk. I always walk when I'm sick :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I walk as well, do a bit of stretching and some slow easy yoga. The treats? That just takes a little discipline.
    Keep the treats out of your house. Keep good stuff in.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    u can do sit ups, push ups, climb stairs, jog in place or leg lifts. I do that crap while watching TV and it gives me a slight burn....
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I was younger the coach always said that you're good to go if your snot is clear.. I still pretty much go by that.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    great will do my cross trainer in place of walking perhaps will sweat these cold bugs out and will stay clear of the shops on way home,as mega tempted by the new oreo chocolate bar....????
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was sick as a dog last week and I'm glad I took the time off to rest. Even after I headed back to the gym I had to stop to blow my nose 5 times during yoga. jeez
  • mjbauer
    mjbauer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tend to rest when I'm sick, essentially your body is trying to fight off the germs so rest and lots of fluids should help you kick it so you can get back into the workout routine faster!
  • Dr_Steve_Brule
    Options
    Working out with clolds are not recommended. Clolds really zrap your energy. Rest up.

DrSteveBrule_b_zpsba66b52d.jpg
  • Anya06
    Options
    I tend to rest when I'm sick, essentially your body is trying to fight off the germs so rest and lots of fluids should help you kick it so you can get back into the workout routine faster!

thats what my husband is telling me...its just tough to have time off after being so used to a certain routine :( i need to learn to rest
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's been said if it's from the neck up, you can workout but take it easy, and in bad environment not wise, like cold and raining.

If it's the neck down, rest and eat up.

Eating at maintenance should help shorten time of both, as less stress on body then.

But you can also cause a neck up sickness turn into a neck down one, and knock yourself out for 3-5 days.

Hmmm, only you can decide if the gamble of one slower workout is worth possibly missing 3-5 days worth.
  • mjbauer
    mjbauer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard, but trust me it's well worth it!
    You'll feel better faster, and then be able to get back to your routine. If you really can't just rest, go for a bit of a walk, but don't push it. Your body needs the rest to fight off the illness, just think the faster you are back to normal the faster you can get back to working out!
  • debsclio
    Options
    Do basic yoga, other excercise makes you feel awful and you won't recover that quickly. O nly continue to do usual work outs when you are 100% better.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm in the second day of full blown cold and debating the same thing. I walked to work this morning which actually made me feel better but I am craving any type of food at the moment.

I would say rest for a couple of days, maybe be some gentle walking. I think your body needs to rest to fight off the virus.
  • Anya06
    Options
    I'm in the second day of full blown cold and debating the same thing. I walked to work this morning which actually made me feel better but I am craving any type of food at the moment.

I would say rest for a couple of days, maybe be some gentle walking. I think your body needs to rest to fight off the virus.

I did cross trainer and almost died as nose was running and was out of breath...so tomos shall rest and get myself sorted and then can exercise.i crave comfort foods when ill which doesnt help.so been stocking up on fruit to prevent sugar cravings lol
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldnt. I have a horrible cold right now.. and its almost summer :mad:
    I am having a hard time even staying awake all day.
  • TriPixie
    Options
    Check up from the neck up...if it's all in your head and your energy level is okay, then work it out. In your chest and feeling drained, rest up for a day or two.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i try to do at least some exercise in order to stay on track, and it can actually make u feel a little bit better. nothing to extreme though if u are having trouble catching your breath
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Unless I am literally unable to move, there should be no excuse to not exercise. A few days of minor irritation will pay off down the road.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've been sick the last few days but decided to go walking today for an hour or so because it was so nice out. While I felt really good about the walking (and earned some extra eating calories) it didn't do anything for my cold, I think I'm a bit more stuffed up now.