How does one learn to be OK with being hungry?

Options

Replies

• kaisawheel
    kaisawheel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. But what no one has ever explained to me is how to go about your day while being hungry. I know people say you have to drink water or snack on veggies. And I'm sorry, but those things do not take care of the hunger pains. So to lose weight we have to take it as given that we're going to feel hungry all the time and I just don't know how to deal with that. Suggestions?

Get more of your calories from fat, it's much more satiating than any other nutrient and is not the enemy. Make sure you get enough protein.
    I've lost 42 pounds without being hungry all the time. Try IF if you have a lot of trouble, many people report greater reduction in hunger eating that way. It's also worth drinking a glass of water when you get hungry and giving yourself fifteen minutes to see if you were actually hungry or not. Some people have very similar hunger and thirst responses.
  • sariannach
    Options
    Are you taking any medications that cause hunger/insatiability as a side effect? I ask because I've certainly been hungry ALL THE TIME. I was taking a medication called Remeron to help deal with my panic disorder. Remeron made me awesomely relaxed, and helped to reset my internal anxiety levels. It also took away any sensation of satiation. I was in the best shape of my life when I started taking it--120lbs, fit, biked 3mi up a steep hill to work every day--and then I was hungry. all. the. time. I gained over 50 lbs in 6 months. I'm 5'1.5", and got my rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis at age 16 when I only weighed 110; the added weight from Remeron meant a whole lot of knee pain for me. I knew after the first 15 lbs that this medication was the cause of my insatiable hunger. I tried to snack on healthier things, popcorn and tea and all sorts of fruits. Nope, I was still hungry, all the time. After those six months, I was done. I quit taking that medication and sought other forms of treatment. Fortunately therapy and a different medication have made a huge difference. And meditation. And accepting that some things, I just can't change, and choosing to be in the present without giving in to the distractions.

If I'm meditating and my back starts to feel uncomfortable, I can move my body to find relief. And then, a minute later, when my foot hurts, I can move it. And my neck, and my leg....and so forth, until I've spent the entire time fidgeting. Or I can just notice it, acknowledge it, and go back to my out-breath. It's less easy--but choosing to change my habitual patterns is how I change my life.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    Eat lower caloric density foods for better satiety.
    Try intermittent fasting. I find when I am doing 1200-1400 calorie days that fasting for 20ish hours and eating one huge meal keeps me from getting too hungry.

Otherwise, deal with it. If a small amount of discomfort is enough to dissuade you from your aspirations, you are going to have a disappointing life.

Amen to most of that except I find a tablespoon of olive oil straight up or a hard boiled egg enough to stave off the worst of real hunger -- FAT -- My calories need to be dense single FAT food calories that take a bit of time to work through the system. I build these dense hunger stoppers into my daily calorie allotment.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You don't - I have never deprived myself of food when I'm hungry. I don't think that's a healthy way to live and there's NO way I would have gotten this far if I had tried to do things that way.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options

Get more of your calories from fat, it's much more satiating than any other nutrient and is not the enemy. Make sure you get enough protein.
    I've lost 42 pounds without being hungry all the time. Try IF if you have a lot of trouble, many people report greater reduction in hunger eating that way. It's also worth drinking a glass of water when you get hungry and giving yourself fifteen minutes to see if you were actually hungry or not. Some people have very similar hunger and thirst responses.

Agreed! Exactly -- low fat food is NOT the way to feel satiated. Low fat is the worse thing to do. You can fool your mind but you cannot fool your body and your body is going to send all kind of hunger messages until given what it needs. Willpower is weak when your body is screaming.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    is really hunger or cravings?

Learning the difference between hunger and cravings is hard at first.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry you are doing it wrong. Hungry, low energy, irritable.......your body is telling you something, time to reasses.

Yep.

I'm hungry when it's time for a meal or snack. Then I eat. Then I'm not hungry anymore.

I did, however, have to learn the difference between hunger and eating out of boredom, or sadness, or happiness, etc.

And if you're talking about McD's two double cheeseburgers and fries, hell, I'd be hungry after that, too. It's a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrition. But give me two of my own homemade burgers with real beef instead of that medium density fiberboard they call meat, and baked steak fries, and I'm happy.

^This, the only time I'm hungry is right before a meal. If I'm unusually hungry one day, I eat. Just not a double bacon cheese burger from checkers, with a large fry and large soda. Thanks I want a burger now lol

But seriously it sounds like you need to make some adjustments. You shouldn't be starving all the time.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Bottom line: To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. But what no one has ever explained to me is how to go about your day while being hungry. I know people say you have to drink water or snack on veggies. And I'm sorry, but those things do not take care of the hunger pains. So to lose weight we have to take it as given that we're going to feel hungry all the time and I just don't know how to deal with that. Suggestions?

You might wanna check your blood sugar levels. I am diabetic and when my sugar drops I am very hungry. I feels like no matter what I eat I am still shaky and hungry.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry you are low on energy, move less and burn less. Ergo: eat more, move more, burn more.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Bless your heart! No, you don't have to resign yourself to being hungry all the time.

We don't know what, or how much, you're eating now, or what you were eating before. If you're willing to open your food diary, that might help us help you.

I'm going to go along with the posters that have proposed a physical problem such as severe insulin resistance or even diabetes. Have you been tested for those? A chronically elevated insulin level will cause your fat cells to take up and store more than their share of what you eat, thus starving the rest of the body of what it needs, and you will be physiologically hungry. The elevated insulin also keeps the fat cells from releasing fat for you to use between meals.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    For me due to a long time eating disorder, I have just started feeling hunger pangs, when I do I eat. There is always something I can eat, I eat clean. Lots of fruits, veggies, 8 8 oz glasses of water, I eat small meals and instead of 3 I tend to eat five. I have a difficult time reaching 1200 (My ed, thinking this wont help you) I try to eat more than 1200, and more like 1400. I have protien mix I drink at night to fill in empty calories....

like I said, I lost hunger pangs years ago..... Eatting once every three days for years will do that. and yes you can gain lots of weight doing it.
    good luck
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Sorry..I don't do it. Hunger sucks and I just can't/won't/refuse to be hungry.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    For me, just being aware of what and how much I was eating was a big help at first. I love snacks. I never could have enough. Once I started logging in all the food I was eating, I decided it wasn't worth it if I had to log it in. The weight started coming off, despite being WAY over my calorie 'allowance" every day. I still eat pretty well, and could really go for a big snack right now, BUT, I'm not HUNGRY.
    Sure, choosing the "right" foods is easy to say. It's harder to DO it. I want to eat cheese and pepperoni, but if I eat 3 cups of salad, I'll be full faster, with lots less calories. Stick with it. Go at your own pace. If you're hungry , eat a little something. You'll get there.
  • aussiemegs82
    Options
    Have any of you ever actually been obese?

No. None of us have actually been obese. You are the only one.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I take my frustrations out on other people.

Kids are a good target, they rarely fight back.

Best response. Ever.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I take my frustrations out on other people.

Kids are a good target, they rarely fight back.

Best response. Ever.

No it isn't - I find it offensive.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    I suggest telling self eating again soon. So I'll eat at 8 n then 10, 12, 3, 5, 7
    I eat protein as often as I can
    Mind u right now my tummy is growling n I'm heading to bed Lol
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Honestly I know you don't want to hear it,but it's true if you are eating the right foods, and drinking the water you should be you shouldn't feel hungry. Is it really hunger or is it thirst or boredom? or is it that you know a certain food that you want is in there so you keep thinking you are hungry? Our body gives us lots of cues and many times we get them confused and assume it means we are hungry when we really aren't.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Healthier alternatives. Really if you are hungry all the time, your body is probably trying to tell you something. Or Perhaps, you are not far into the journey and you are craving the sweets and things you have cut... Finding better alternatives to the things that you love is a great way to go. Eat smaller portions... Eat more often... but less...

Exercise so you have more calories you can eat.

Rather than a 250 calorie candy bar, choose a Sweet and Salty bar for 160-170 calories... Solves the sweet tooth ... 90 calorie yogurt is a better alternative as well... There are options out there.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    the protein advice is really good; perhaps you are not meeting some nutrient that you need.... If you are cutting one particular thing out of your diet then it is probable that you are missing a needed nutrient.