Hypothyroidism

Options
Anybody else have a thyroid disorder, making it harder to lose weight? I would love the support! And to offer it too, of course :)

Replies

• cmaceluch
    Options
    Get it treated. Once functioning properly it will go back to normal, and the weight gains should slow.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am on Synthroid, but my hair is still falling out and my weight loss has been slow. I've lost 30lbs in 4 months, so it IS possible to lose weight. Add me if you want and we can support each other.
  • MrsMaisonet14
    MrsMaisonet14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Of course it's being treated, and no, that doesn't mean "I'm all better" Ever read the medication side effects? Not only that, but there is no cure. It's an auto-immune disorder, it will never go away. But thanks.
  • MrsMaisonet14
    Options
    Hi Vevvi...I've taken meds now since the age of 14...my weight fluctuates. I know it's possible, my hair doesbn't fall out but I definitely crave sugar and get fatigued easily sometimes. I will add u, thnx.
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Of course it's being treated, and no, that doesn't mean "I'm all better" Ever read the medication side effects? Not only that, but there is no cure. It's an auto-immune disorder, it will never go away. But thanks.

I am aware if the disorder, and the side effects. I'm also not attempting to bash you in any way shape or form. Just remember hard work pays of and excuses die out.
  • MrsMaisonet14
    Options
    My goal is to be healthier, one day at a time. Not making excuses, just looking for people with similar struggles who understand.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Hypo myself, but my Endo refuses to treat even though my TSH levels are well within those levels to be put on meds. Until then I'm suffering with extreme hair loss, brain fog, exhaustion and minor weight gain. It's infuriating and I feel your pain! Hoping to get on meds soon so we can at least get close to getting my levels evened out
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Your eyes are astonishing. :noway:
  • nastycivilian
    nastycivilian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Feel free to add me.. I was just diagnosed with hypothryoidism almost two months ago. I am currently on Levothyroxine, on the lowest dose, because this is my first time being on medication for it. I have to go have more blood work done in two weeks to see if they gave me the right dosage or not.
    I am definitely struggling with weight gain. I've been slowly gaining weight for about a year now even though I was exercising & eating healthy. The doctors wouldn't test my thryoid & instead told me I was obviously just not working out or eating healthy.. even though I mentioned my hair was falling out, I was always tired, etc. They just attributed all that to me being a fat cow I guess.

To make a long story short.. feel free to add me because I'm in the same boat as you with the weight loss. I don't think I am on the right dosage since I haven't lost any weight since being on the meds for almost two months now.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Your eyes are astonishing. :noway:
    Mine?
  • cmaceluch
    Options
    Yesssss. Need a map, you could get lost in those.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Haha, well thanks!
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism almost 30 years ago. I was exhausted and weighed well over 250 pounds. I was afraid to sit down or drive because as soon as I did I'd start to fall asleep. I was losing my hair, my skin was dry, but I refused to go to the doctor because I thought he'd laugh at me. After all I was obese and I had four sons under the age of four and-a-half. Well, really! What could I expect!?? Finally, my husband convinced me to go, saying that if the doctor laughed at me we'd get a new doctor. This meant a lot as this doctor had been his doctor for many years.

The doctor didn't laugh. In fact, he thought I might have heart failure and sent me to see a cardiologist that day. I didn't have heart failure and was immediately put on thyroid meds before the blood test results even came back. It took months for me to feel better. When I saw an endo he'd told me I'd been about four months from going into a coma and I'd have had a 50-50 chance of coming back out of it. Yikes!

I've been struggling with my weight for many years, weighing 300+ lbs (don't know how much more than 300 as I wouldn't get on a scale). I'm taking a lot of thyroid meds, but the blood tests I have every year indicate that's what I need. One of my photos on my profile show me at what was probably my highest weight.

One tip: take your medicine an hour before you eat. I didn't learn this until a few years ago, but it's important.

So, now finally I'm on the final part of my weight loss journey. I lost 140 pounds a few years ago and gained 40 of them back after an injury. This time I'm determined to get to a healthy weight.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • kingzwoman
    kingzwoman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also have hypo- thryrodism for about 10 yrs now I have been on meds. When I was a teenager I was bigger than everyone else even though i ate less than others. I also was having leg cramps every night and hair was constantly falling out. I went to the doctor after having my last daughter and told him my symptons and he tried to tell me to go to a mental therapy place. SO, I WENT TO A NEW DOCTOR! They tested me for many things, lastly for thryroid. When the results came back the doctor and staff said they were surprised I was still living with the numbers that my thyroid was showing. They said I should have been in a coma at best but dead long time ago.
    Well, Yes weight loss is a harder struggle when the thyroid is not working properly. Weight gain comes so naturally even when living a healthy lifestyle. I still after 10 yrs have not gotten my thyroid completely straightened out with the right dosage. My body keeps rejecting it. Although since the 1st of this year, I have lost 18 pds with a new higher dosage 250mcg . For anyone else 18 pds isnt nothing in that amount of time; for me its awesome!
    Struggling Thyroid, down but never defeated!
  • Kline123
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and take Levothyroxine. I am just starting to seriously try to eat healthier and exercise consistently, so I am not really sure yet how difficult it may be b/c of my thyroid condition. You can add me for support! Would be glad to have some support on this specific issue as I continue my journey!:smile:
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have borderline hyperthyroidism. Don't think that helps you though. I get so hungry and need to eat eat eat.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I have had Hypothyroidism since I was 11. I have always struggled with my weight. Takes lots and lots of focus on what I eat and exercise (I choose to walk - lots of walking!). I am getting close to my goal and fear that eating over 1500-1600 calories will cause a gain. I am taking it day by day. Add me if you would like.
  • sarah3379
    Options
    I have been taking synthroid for 5 years. I get frustrated trying to lose weight and it is harder because my husband loves unhealthy fried foods and likes to encourage me to eat them too. Hopefully I will stick with this and see some results.