WHY CAN'T I LOSE WEIGHT

Options
uggghh, i'm getting super frustrated. I went from 175.5 to 179 in 4 days! and I have been eating my normal calories (around 1200). someone please review my diary and give me advice!! I neeed to get down to 170 soon or I'm going to lose all hope :(

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It goes through spikes, so to speak. Sometimes you will appear to be stuck at a weight for a couple of weeks, then suddenly, it appears that you lost 5 pounds within two days.
  • arozman2
    arozman2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    sorry! i opened it now!
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Your sodiuim averages really high.... just water perhaps?
  • chenabear
    chenabear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I've been on this for 2 weeks watching everything that goes in my mouth but I haven't lost a pound, I think I'm suppose to be fat.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough calories. 1200 isn't the magic number for everyone. I am in the 190 weight area and my calories are 1450.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    4 days? Its water weight unless you ate 14,000 calories over your TDEE in four days... which is highly doubtful.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't come off because you want it off. Your weight cycles throughout the month - you could be retaining water, etc that would make a drastic 4lb change, but it also can easily come off the next week, it might not actually be true "weight". Also, eating 1200 calories a day isn't a magic number, it may actually be hindering your progress if you're also exercising and weight training at the same time. If you're serious about losing weight researching what your BMR and TDEE are excellent indicators of how many calories your body is burning during the day, and will give you a better starting point for weightloss.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    uggghh, i'm getting super frustrated. I went from 175.5 to 179 in 4 days! and I have been eating my normal calories (around 1200). someone please review my diary and give me advice!! I neeed to get down to 170 soon or I'm going to lose all hope :(

No one can tell you what to eat. You need to experiment. The macro ratios in MFP are close enough. I tend to eat more protein and less carbs than the default but not low carb, I just stay withing the calorie budget that is right for me.

1200 is such a stupid number to get stuck on. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux and everyone is different

What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Sodium, without much doubt. It looks like you rely on a lot of processed food, which is usually high in sodium, low in nutrition. I think you would like the results of making your own meals from fresh, whole food.

Duck face on purpose?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I just looked over your diary. I see a lot of carbs and fats. Add fruits and more vegetables. Exercise more often. Don't rely on all the canned and boxed food (so high in sodium!), learn how to cook nutritious meals. It will honestly make a difference.
  • arozman2
    Options
    yeah i think sodium is definitely a factor right now. my boyfriend tries to steal my scale from me daily because its getting like an obsessive thing i constantly have to check. I should probably let him take it haha. and yes duck face on purpose :)
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Stop checking every day.......
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    remember, the scale isnt always right.
    you could be loosing inches!

and i eat 1570 calories a day! and i was at 1200 and
    i promise i've lost more weight since ive changed my profile from 2lbs a week to 1lb a week..
    and im 5ft so at first i thought it might be to many calories,but,nope!
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Pick a day of the week to weigh yourself, and do so at the same time of day each week. You'll see much less fluctuation that way.

Also, cook more and eat less fast food :)
  • arozman2
    Options
    do you guys recommend I continue at 1200 for a bit longer while eating healthier foods ? and if so for how long before I know to change things up!!??